NAMEBERRY'S Top 25 - Results! [Boys' Edition]

Hello, everyone!

After an interminably long time, I am finally sharing my results for the Top 25 threads that have been running the past couple weeks. I’ve been so ridiculously busy lately, so I haven’t been able to do the deeper analysis I’ve been wanting, but I honestly am not sure I’ll ever have time, with the way things are going, and I didn’t want to make you wait any longer. I’m listing the top 25 here, and am attempting to attach my file with a listing of all names that were submitted on the threads, for your viewing pleasure. What do you think? Is it what you expected? I’d love to hear your thoughts.

1. [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]
  2. [name_m]Edmund[/name_m]
  3. [name_u]Ezra[/name_u]
  4. [name_m]Samuel[/name_m]
  5. [name_u]James[/name_u]
  6. [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u]
  7. [name_u]Elliott[/name_u]
  8. [name_m]Henry[/name_m]
  9. [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]
  10. [name_m]Caspar[/name_m]
  11. [name_u]Elias[/name_u]
  12. [name_m]Frederick[/name_m]
  13. [name_m]Gideon[/name_m]
  14. [name_m]Isaac[/name_m]
  15. [name_u]Miles[/name_u]
  16. [name_u]Oliver[/name_u]
  17. [name_m]Raphael[/name_m]
  18. [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]
  19. [name_m]Silas[/name_m]
  20. [name_u]Arlo[/name_u]
  21. [name_u]August[/name_u]
  22. [name_m]Caspian[/name_m]
  23. [name_u]Jude[/name_u]
  24. [name_m]Leo[/name_m]
  25. [name_u]River[/name_u]

Thank you!

nb top 25 (boys).docx (43.3 KB)

20 Likes

Thank you for putting this together!

I can’t say I find it surprising that [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] is #1. It also reminds me of how [name_u]Berry[/name_u]-esque my own boys’ name taste is- with a few exceptions, I have most of these names on my list!

1 Like

Love seeing this, thank you so much! I feel like I’m not really surprised by this, I see these names suggested or talked up all the time, and I really like most of them myself. The only one I’m surprised by is [name_m]Raphael[/name_m]: personally, I love the name, but I feel like I never see it on here. Maybe we all like it but none of us think other people do?

2 Likes

I think it helps that some of these names are just well LOVED in general? Like [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_u]Elliot[/name_u], [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u], [name_m]Henry[/name_m]… all very popular! That wasn’t quite the case for the girls.

1 Like

Yes, I totally agree. [name_m]Raphael[/name_m] wasn’t in the top 25 for THE longest time, until I added the last few submissions and [name_m]Raphael[/name_m] was just really loved by those at the end. I am really surprised by [name_u]Arlo[/name_u]–for the longest time he was the top boys’ choice which totally surprised me because I don’t hear nb talking about [name_u]Arlo[/name_u] very much at all lol. Some classics, like [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] and [name_f]Jane[/name_f], I was a bit surprised by, too, tbh, because I expected them to be loved, but not necessarily as firsts? I feel like I don’t see a lot of people with [name_f]Jane[/name_f] and [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] combos.

Thanks ashthedreamer. I’ll help you out with some analysis :slight_smile:

Here are the top 25 with their SSA rank in parentheses.

1. Theodore (36)
  2. Edmund (N/A)
  3. Ezra (49)
  4. Samuel (22)
  5. James (6)
  6. Benjamin (7)
  7. Elliott (160)
  8. Henry (12)
  9. Arthur (178)
  10. Caspar (N/A)
  11. Elias (60)
  12. Frederick (475)
  13. Gideon (320)
  14. Isaac (34)
  15. Miles (75)
  16. Oliver (3)
  17. Raphael (521)
  18. Sebastian (18)
  19. Silas (107)
  20. Arlo (271)
  21. August (167)
  22. Caspian (791)
  23. Jude (153)
  24. Leo (40)
  25. River (168)

Trending down: [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u], [name_m]Samuel[/name_m], [name_m]Gideon[/name_m], [name_m]Isaac[/name_m]

Trending up: Everything else!

The two takeaways to me are that:

1. Nameberries overwhelmingly go for traditional names that are on the rise, with the one exception of Old Testament names, which have enough gravity that we are still willing to consider them even when they are just so slightly past their peak.

2. Nameberries go for names everywhere along the popularity spectrum… so long as condition 1) is met!

5 Likes

Samuel surprised me, I also thought [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] was more popular than [name_m]Caspar[/name_m].

Thanks for creating these!

• I’m surprised to see [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] and [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] so high on the list! I didn’t realise how beloved they were here.

• I am not at all surprised by: [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], [name_u]Ezra[/name_u], [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], [name_u]Elias[/name_u], [name_u]Oliver[/name_u], [name_m]Raphael[/name_m], [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m], [name_m]Silas[/name_m], [name_u]August[/name_u], [name_m]Caspian[/name_m], [name_u]Jude[/name_u], [name_m]Leo[/name_m], & [name_u]River[/name_u].

• I am surprised not to see [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] on the list!

• My favourite names on the list are [name_u]Ezra[/name_u], [name_m]Samuel[/name_m], [name_m]Isaac[/name_m], [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m], [name_m]Caspian[/name_m], [name_u]Jude[/name_u], & [name_u]River[/name_u]

Thank you for this additional analysis, newboots! Fascinating to see the contrast between SSA & Nameberry’s ranking of the name [name_m]Edmund[/name_m].

I wondered if the [name_f]England[/name_f] & [name_m]Wales[/name_m] rankings would show these as being higher/trending further upward, as we often discuss that the names here are more berry-esque. So they are:

1. Theodore (18)
  2. Edmund (622)
  3. Ezra (60)
  4. Samuel (41)
  5. James (22)
  6. Benjamin (33)
  7. Elliot(t) (71 & 83 respectively)
  8. Henry (12)
  9. Arthur (4)
  10. Casper (259) / [name_m]Caspar[/name_m] (512)
  11. Elias (117)
  12. Frederick (65)
  13. Gideon (787)
  14. Isaac (23)
  15. Miles (147) / [name_m]Myles[/name_m] (123)
  16. Oliver (1)
  17. Raphael (176)
  18. Sebastian (34)
  19. Silas (642)
  20. Arlo (34)
  21. August (740)
  22. Caspian (768)
  23. Jude (57)
  24. Leo (6)
  25. River (260) (187 for girls)

Names more popular in E&W: [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], [name_m]Edmund[/name_m], [name_u]Elliot[/name_u]/t, [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], [name_m]Casper[/name_m], [name_m]Frederick[/name_m], [name_m]Isaac[/name_m], [name_u]Oliver[/name_u], [name_m]Raphael[/name_m], [name_u]Arlo[/name_u], [name_m]Caspian[/name_m], [name_u]Jude[/name_u] & [name_m]Leo[/name_m]
Names more popular in US: [name_u]Ezra[/name_u], [name_m]Samuel[/name_m], [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u], [name_u]Elias[/name_u], [name_m]Gideon[/name_m], [name_m]Silas[/name_m], [name_u]August[/name_u], [name_u]River[/name_u]

Some of these were fairly close ranking differences, some were definitely not.
In general then, the names more popular in the US are Biblical names with a couple of naturey-esque, wordy names thrown in. The E&W more popular list is predominantly those ‘old fashioned names trending upwards’ vibe (which is what berries seem to note [name_f]England[/name_f] for). Interestingly, our Biblical names are also trending down while most of the others are on a stratospheric upward trajectory.

2 Likes

Love these names! The ones that were on my list that it made it on here were [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], [name_m]Isaac[/name_m], [name_u]Oliver[/name_u], & [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]! [name_m]Just[/name_m] like on the girls’ list there are some here that are on my extended list but not my top 25! Thank you so much for making this!! It’s such an interesting read and I’m definitely going to be scanning the documents to see where my other faves lie!

Benjamin surprises me :slight_smile:

Wow! Thanks for putting this together! I’m a little surprised that [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] is so high on the list! [name_m]Raphael[/name_m] is also a bit of a surprise!

Love the list. Very berry!

I noticed [name_m]Ronan[/name_m] and [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] are tied with [name_u]River[/name_u] through [name_u]Arlo[/name_u] so shouldn’t they be listed in the top “25” since they were cut off simply due to being later in the alphabet?

I know I’m late but I want to post mine

Ollivander
[name_m]Lysander[/name_m]
[name_m]Evander[/name_m]
[name_u]Rylan[/name_u]
[name_u]Raiden[/name_u]
Eragon
Arathorn
[name_m]Atticus[/name_m]
Arwyn
[name_m]Ronan[/name_m]
[name_m]Soren[/name_m]
[name_u]Dorian[/name_u]
[name_m]Irwin[/name_m]
[name_u]Denali[/name_u]
[name_m]Isidore[/name_m]
Salazar
[name_m]Zoran[/name_m]
[name_m]Hiro[/name_m]
Thoradin
[name_u]Kieran[/name_u]
Roran nn [name_u]Rory[/name_u]

Otto
[name_u]River[/name_u]
[name_u]Skyler[/name_u] nn [name_u]Kai[/name_u]
[name_u]Basil[/name_u]

Honorable mentions:
[name_m]Sycamore[/name_m], [name_m]Cyprus[/name_m], [name_u]Forest[/name_u], [name_u]Ezra[/name_u], [name_m]Simon[/name_m], [name_m]Darwin[/name_m], [name_u]Laurie[/name_u], [name_m]Alistair[/name_m], [name_u]Orion[/name_u], [name_m]Alexander[/name_m], Nautilus, [name_m]Henry[/name_m]

I just noticed someone else submitted Arathorn!!!