Named after characters in book or movies?

My family is really big on using family names in the MN spot with a “new” name in the FN spot. Aside from my future first born son, I’m really not attached to any family names for girls or other boys. I do however like a lot of names that are associated with favourite book characters or tv characters.

My question - when choosing your child’s name, did you go with the family route? Random names? Or did any of you name your kids after favourite characters? Or would you consider using a name of a favourite character?

I would definitely consider the use of a favorite characters name, but i think that if you are going to do this, you should stick to books so that the actor/actress who played that character does not get associated with the child.
Some book characters names that i ABSOLUTELY adore are as follows:
[name]Luna[/name]
[name]Cedric[/name]
[name]Jane[/name]
[name]Tris[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Primrose[/name] (Prim for short… :slight_smile: its a little obvious where this one came from)
thanks!!!

Well my mom made me promise when I was 10 that i’d use a specific family name as the middle for my first child, and since i’d only like one that leaves no middle name choosings. As far as the first name, we have free reign and if I fell in love with a character’s name it would definitley bd a possibility. That’s how I discovered [name]Keiren[/name] :slight_smile:

I’ve noticed that in almost all of my favourite combos, there is a name that honours my heritage (which is very suiting since I strongly intend to move out of the country once I’ve finished my education, and preferably stay out). I’d love to have the courage to name my future kid one of my favourite names from ASOIAF (Rhaenys, Visenya, Margaery, Viserys, Rhaegar and Renly), but I don’t know if that’s a stretch (I can’t imagine it would be very fun to be named Viserys either because Viserys Targaryen was the actual worst).

Wasn’t Viserys (brother to [name]Daenerys[/name]) named after a good ancestor Viserys? Names get recycled a lot in ASOIAF it’s hard to remember x_x

Yeah, he was (or well, there was Viserys I who was a good ruler, and Viserys II who … wasn’t quite as good a ruler as Viserys I), but he still kinda pulls the name down :frowning:

I would definitely name a child after a fictional character. Several of the names on my list are inspired by characters or have associations with characters. For example, [name]Samuel[/name] has [name]Sam[/name] Winchester and [name]Sam[/name] Gamgee. [name]Hermione[/name] and [name]Luna[/name] are on my middle name list because of the [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] characters.

How could I forget Jane? Jane Eyre is what put Jane in my top five.

[name]One[/name] of my favourite girls names is [name]Beatrix[/name], which is obviously for [name]Beatrix[/name] [name]Potter[/name], even though I know she’s not a fictional character! Also, [name]Josephine[/name], which is from [name]Little[/name] Women and [name]Cecilia[/name], which is from Beaches (my favourite movie). For boys, I love [name]Gilbert[/name], which is from [name]Anne[/name] of [name]Green[/name] Gables. I’m sure there’s others, but I can’t think of them now!

I most likely won’t go the family route, though there are a few names I like that just so happen to be names of ancestors. [name]Annika[/name], [name]Ottilie[/name] and [name]Ward[/name] are three long time favorites that are family names.

I tend to go for random names, especially nature names. A good deal of my favorite names are character names from books and mythology, or names of authors. [name]One[/name] of my all time favorites is from a movie: [name]Isabeau[/name] from Ladyhawke.

Off the top of my head [name]Heidi[/name] ([name]Johanna[/name] Spyri), [name]Charlotte[/name] ([name]Bronte[/name]), [name]Jane[/name] ([name]Eyre[/name]), [name]Lucy[/name] [name]Snow[/name] ([name]Villette[/name]), Eilonwy (Prydain Chronicles), [name]Jorah[/name] (A Song of Ice and [name]Fire[/name]), [name]Wilder[/name] ([name]Laura[/name] Ingalls), [name]Caspian[/name] ([name]Narnia[/name] Chronicles), [name]Woodrow[/name] (Time Enough For [name]Love[/name]) and [name]Ivanhoe[/name] (Sir [name]Walter[/name] [name]Scott[/name]) are all literature names I adore because of the literature they’re inspired from.

There are tons of other literature names I love, mostly because of the character, but they’re not names I’d use for my child for a number of reasons.

I’m actually named after a character/person in real life and I love the connection!

I would consider using [name]Jane[/name] [name]Austen[/name] characters or characters from musicals, movies, and novels I love which aren’t too attached to the character.

For example, I would use [name]Jane[/name], [name]Lydia[/name], or [name]Elizabeth[/name] from Pride & Prejudice, but I wouldn’t use [name]Hermione[/name] or [name]Severus[/name] from [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name]. Likewise, I would use [name]Christine[/name] from The Phantom of the [name]Opera[/name], but I wouldn’t use [name]Satine[/name] from Moulin Rouge. I just wouldn’t want to use names too closely associated with a figure in pop culture.

I’m glad to see I’m not the only one who would consider naming a child after a literary character or movie/tv character! I’m absolutely considering naming my future daughter [name]Aurora[/name] [name]Leigh[/name], after the epic poem of the same name by [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Barrett[/name] Browning. I adore the name and character! And using the nickname [name]Rory[/name] will tie in my favourite character in my absolute favourite tv show: [name]Rory[/name] [name]Leigh[/name] [name]Gilmore[/name] from [name]Gilmore[/name] Girls! I’m just debating if it works with my husbands last name (sounds like [name]Perry[/name]). Thanks for the responses!!

[name]Jane[/name] [name]Austen[/name] characters have a lot of beautiful classic names! [name]Love[/name] them!

I’m really glad to see this!! If I do decide to name my daughter after a beloved character, I hope she enjoys the reasoning and connection!

my daughter’s name, [name]Remember[/name], came from the name of one of the young female pilgrim passengers on the Mayflower (we also love the meaning of the word). our future son, if we have one, will likely be [name]Gilbert[/name], after [name]Gilbert[/name] from [name]Anne[/name] of [name]Green[/name] Gables and the musician, [name]Gil[/name] [name]Evans[/name]. i, myself, am named after a bottle of French wine!

I am quite taken with the idea of using [name]Eponine[/name] ([name]Les[/name] Miserables) as a middle name for a future daughter! She has always been my favourite character from the book.
Mostly my favourite names tend to come from songs, albums and bands that are meaningful to me, names like [name]Arizona[/name], Valdosta, [name]Symphony[/name], Serendade, [name]Georgia[/name], [name]Harmony[/name], [name]Adam[/name], [name]Beau[/name], [name]Peter[/name]…the list goes on.

Most of the names I adore are literary or from a movie…

[name]Isabeau[/name]: [name]Even[/name] though I know that many people do not like the name, and find it masculine. I know why some feel that way, but I can and have looked over it. I have fallen in love with it ever since I first saw “Ladyhawke,” also, my mom’s favorite movie (one of my favorites as well). So I believe that is also a plus. Besides, [name]Michelle[/name] Pheiffer looked so innocent and adorable to me in this movie. Also, I would like to think “Lost Girl,” will help more people become more aware of it.

[name]Audrey[/name]: I am starting to like this name. 1. [name]Audrey[/name] Hepburn, so elegant and gorgeous. 2. From the movie, “The [name]Little[/name] Shop of Horrors,” my favorite movie.

[name]Lily[/name], well, [name]Lilia/name, I have always loved [name]Lily[/name], mostly because of the flower. But, I remember [name]Lilia[/name], from “The Ten Commandments,” she was so exotic-beautiful-looking to me.

[name]Caspian[/name], of course because of the [name]Narnia[/name] series, I remember reading the book and thought how courageous and handsome the character was in description. I have yet to see the full movie, but the character was nice-looking.

I, too, hope that my child(ren) would love their name because of what it means to me.

There is more, but I don’t want to bore you anymore.

There are so many great literary names to choose from! [name]Scarlett[/name] is one of my top picks (obvious where that came from). [name]Josephine[/name] from [name]Little[/name] Women is another one I like.

I can’t help but adore the names of my favorite characters. I would definitely use some of them for future babies.

I would deffinetly use the name of a favorite character as long as it wasn’t too connected to said character (I like @hazysummerskies example of [name]Satine[/name] and [name]Hermione[/name].) But I would use family names too. I like names to have a story to them, as well as a connection. [name]Both[/name] of my siblings have stories behind their names- Amris because Dad misread a color card and liked it, [name]Beth[/name] for Mom; [name]Roger[/name] for Dad and Grandfather and [name]Perry[/name] for Mom- but my parents just liked my name. No big deal, I just wish there was something like “I read a book in college with the character [name]Athena[/name], blah blah blah.”
So to sum up: Yes, I would use character and family names as long as there was a story behind it.