Named after characters in book or movies?

We went the movie route with baby number one, [name]Maximus[/name]: Gladiator, 2000; and then [name]Alexander[/name] [the Great]. Next time, we’re thinking of honoring hubby’s father, mother and sister. But we do like a lot of random names as well.

I would definitely name my child after a fictional series!

Right now I’m loving [name]Cordelia[/name] from [name]Anne[/name] of [name]Green[/name] Gables - perhaps [name]Alice[/name] [name]Cordelia[/name] or [name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Holly[/name]? I also like [name]Genevieve[/name] from the [name]Madeline[/name] series (even though she’s a dog). And [name]Jane[/name] - for [name]Jane[/name] [name]Austen[/name]. My favorite name of all time ([name]Eleanor[/name]) is also used by [name]Jane[/name] [name]Austen[/name] and L.M. [name]Montgomery[/name], so that’s definitely a plus on my list!

As for boys, I really like [name]Edmund[/name] from the C.S. [name]Lewis[/name] [name]Narnia[/name] series. And [name]Joseph[/name] from L.M. [name]Montgomery[/name] - “the race that knows [name]Joseph[/name]” is used synonymous -ly with “kindred spirits.” And [name]Gilbert[/name]. I love [name]Gil[/name]! Oh, and [name]Henry[/name]. He’s used in [name]Jane[/name] [name]Austen[/name], L.M. [name]Montgomery[/name], and the Boxcar Children (the series that taught me how to read).

Funnily enough - both boys have names that are from literature.

My partner sort of ‘agreed’ to them as they are also characters from his favourite anime (didn’t know that!), but I got the name from the legend of [name]Tristan[/name] and [name]Isolde[/name] and the book/movie Stardust for our eldest and for our youngest it’s from the bible story of [name]Noah[/name] and the Ark.

The names we got for the next children are all inspired from literature/movies/games too: [name]Alice[/name] in Wonderland, Twilight, The Time Travellers Wife, Final [name]Fantasy[/name], Claymore and many many more.

Yay! [name]Glad[/name] I’m not the only one! There are so many lovely names bestowed on characters from all over!

I have always loved the idea of [name]Josephine[/name], [name]Louisa[/name], [name]Theodore[/name] and Friederich for the [name]Little[/name] Women connection. [name]Louisa[/name] and [name]Frederick[/name] have the bonus of family connection as well.

My parents just liked the name I have, so there’s no family route…randomness maybe?

For my favorite names, some came from pop culture. [name]Heath[/name] and [name]Audra[/name] were characters on The Big [name]Valley[/name]. (I’m not that old, I watch reruns.)

[name]Abbott[/name] is from [name]Buddy[/name] [name]Abbott[/name] and [name]Lou[/name] Costello.

[name]Priscilla[/name]: [name]Priscilla[/name] [name]Presley[/name]

[name]Scarlett[/name] from GWTW

I don’t try to choose names based from characters. I guess the shows made me like these names more. I have random favorites in my opinion.

Quite a few of the names I really like/ love are from books/films/shows. My fave guilty pleasure boy combo is [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Sherlock[/name_m] [name_u]Dorian[/name_u] [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] ([name_u]Dorian[/name_u] from The Picture of [name_u]Dorian[/name_u] [name_u]Gray[/name_u], the rest are obvious), which I absolutely adore especially because all the names are from fictional characters. The only reason I wouldn’t use it is because I think [name_m]Sherlock[/name_m] is way too recognisable, so I’ve replaced [name_m]Sherlock[/name_m] with another (non-fictional :() name. I also like [name_m]Cyril[/name_m] (from ‘The Five Children and It’), [name_m]Fabian[/name_m] (from a book), [name_m]Gideon[/name_m] (from ‘Towerblock Trio’ (play)), [name_m]Santiago[/name_m] (from an episode of SJA) [name_f]Jenna[/name_f] ([name_m]Septimus[/name_m] Heap books), [name_f]Jana[/name_f] (Wolfblood, TV show) and Enfys and [name_f]Ffion[/name_f] (real people from game shows).