Names and Ethnicity

Our last name is [name]Brennan[/name]. We named our oldest daughter [name]Caitlin[/name] which has an Irish feel to it. Now, several years later, we our expecting our second daughter. This time around, my husband and I really love Italian/Spanish/Latin super-feminine “girly-girl” names. We like the sounds of [name]Sophia[/name], [name]Isabella[/name], [name]Valentina[/name], [name]Viviana[/name], [name]Eliana[/name], [name]Angelina[/name], [name]Juliana[/name], [name]Carolina[/name] and [name]Olivia[/name]. Question: Is it acceptable or advisable to name our daughter a name of Italian or Spanish origin when we have an Irish surname and don’t have any Latin ancestory?

I think it is acceptable, but not because [name]Caitlin[/name] sounds too Irish. Some of the names on your list seem too dissimilar in tone, maybe because they are more elaborate than [name]Caitlin[/name]. Unless you are pronouncing it more like [name]Kathleen[/name], [name]Caitlin[/name] is really more Americanized.

[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Sophia[/name], [name]Juliana[/name], [name]Carolina[/name] or [name]Olivia[/name] - I think these pair ok. [name]Sophia[/name] (aside from referencing any movie stars or sex symbols) sounds very simple and nice to me. [name]Sophie[/name] might match even better. I would change [name]Carolina[/name] to [name]Caroline[/name]. I might consider [name]Julia[/name] rather than [name]Juliana[/name]. As listed, they’re a little disparate but not shockingly so. Some opinions may differ.

[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Isabella[/name], [name]Valentina[/name], [name]Viviana[/name], [name]Eliana[/name] or [name]Angelina[/name] - these just sound more exotic and fabulous. [name]Caitlin[/name] just evokes different positive qualities, not that you can really determine how your children’s personalities will develop, but you have 2 sisters and one will just sound like “the hot one,” in any case, they may even wish they could trade names depending on who feels they fit their name better. [name]Isabel[/name] here (or [name]Annabelle[/name]) might be ok, [name]Issy[/name] and [name]Cait[/name], if you call them by nicknames, do not sound like sisters to me, maybe [name]Belle[/name]. [name]Even[/name] plain [name]Vivian[/name] seems too exotic or different, but the rest just don’t seem to go whatsoever.

Names aren’t personalities, but people often do feel whether their name fits their personality or find a nickname more comfortable to work with - it becomes more of an issue when siblings have distinct “flavors” in their names. It is less of an issue if they have similar tones and are portioned out in more even favor. If you find a Spanish and/or Italian name you like, see if you can deal with the simpler Anglicized version of that name. Some names in French might sound more comfortable with Irish-American [name]Caitlin[/name] than Spanish or Italian do.

Other Latin names that might sort of go with [name]Caitlin[/name] might be:

[name]Claudia[/name]
[name]Gabriella[/name]
[name]Rosa[/name] or [name]Rosanna[/name]

By all means, you are not confined to names like [name]Bridget[/name] or [name]Erin[/name] or [name]Kayla[/name] or [name]Bronwen[/name] or [name]Siobhan[/name] or [name]Sinead[/name]. [name]Even[/name] the last 3 are too Gaelic for [name]Caitlin[/name] in the U.S. If you are somewhere else than [name]America[/name], I apologize for presuming!

I don’t see why it would be unacceptable. I believe [name]Isabella[/name] is #2 on the SSA list, so it seems to me that Italian/Spanish/Latin girly-girl names are entering US fashion. You can’t tell me that none of those little Isabellas are Irish.

However though, I believe this was the point [name]Karen[/name] was trying to make, such a name might outshine your little [name]Caitlin[/name]. I say, if you decide you love one of those names, go for it, but if you pick something that’s a little too exotic, your pairing will sound very odd.

Yeah, I’m not succinct about it, but that’s what I was trying to describe.

Another thing I might add is that [name]Brennan[/name] also doesn’t sound as very, very Irish to me as, say O’[name]Hara[/name] or O’[name]Malley[/name]. It’s Irish but not in the sense that Latin names seem completely wild beside them, or that you couldn’t choose a name that is common enough in the U.S. just because it’s not genuine to your heritage.

You make very valid points. O.K. please help…I need a few more suggestions of names that are beautiful and go well with [name]Caitlin[/name]. We are running out of time, but I agree that I do not want to outshine [name]Caitlin[/name]'s sweet name.

My personal take, is that while names dissimilar from [name]Caitlin[/name] obviously won’t be of the same style lending themselves to an obviously matching sibling set, they won’t be absolutely horrible, either.

While popular names like [name]Olivia[/name] and [name]Sophia[/name] work with Caitling due to their popularity, I think it’s safe to assume that other more exotic names would be obvious matches with [name]Caitlin[/name] if only they were more popular. In other words, I don’t think it’s the sound of [name]Olivia[/name] and [name]Sophia[/name] that make them work with [name]Caitlin[/name], but their popularity.

Italian/Spanish names that work with [name]Caitlin[/name] (and that I think would be obvious matches if they were more popular) :

[name]Abriana[/name] [name]Brennan[/name]
[name]Audriana[/name] [name]Brennan[/name]
[name]Allegra[/name] [name]Brennan[/name]
[name]Alessia[/name] [name]Brennan[/name]
[name]Annabella[/name] [name]Brennan[/name] (close to [name]Isabella[/name], but I actually think this makes it work with [name]Caitlin[/name])
[name]Ariana[/name] [name]Brennan[/name]
[name]Chiara[/name] [name]Brennan[/name]
[name]Cecilia[/name] [name]Brennan[/name]
[name]Eloisa[/name] [name]Brennan[/name]
[name]Eleanora[/name] [name]Brennan[/name]
[name]Elodie[/name] [name]Brennan[/name] (French, but I can see it with [name]Caitlin[/name])
[name]Francesca[/name] [name]Brennan[/name]
[name]Gemma[/name] [name]Brennan[/name] (wait…not with your last name…)
[name]Liliana[/name] [name]Brennan[/name]
[name]Luciana[/name] [name]Brennan[/name] (nn [name]Lucy[/name], which I think is great with [name]Caitlin[/name])
[name]Mariella[/name] [name]Brennan[/name]
[name]Marisol[/name] [name]Brennan[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Brennan[/name]
[name]Rafaella[/name] [name]Brennan[/name]
[name]Simona[/name] [name]Brennan[/name]

I think [name]Annabella[/name], [name]Ariana[/name], [name]Chiara[/name], [name]Cecilia[/name], and [name]Elodie[/name] (French, though) would work especially well with [name]Caitlin[/name], while the others have potential nicknames that fit nicely with [name]Caitlin[/name].

I know you’re not into Irish names, but I think [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Brennan[/name] sounds lovely and feminine, and works quite well with [name]Caitlin[/name].

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Thank you, [name]Jill[/name]! I really like [name]Fiona[/name]…I hadn’t thought of that one. Maybe I do still like Irish names and just didn’t realize. :slight_smile: I’ll run it by my husband. I also like beautiful vintage names. My hubby suggested [name]Emma[/name], but I am just not sure that it flows well with our last name. What does every one think about [name]Emma[/name]? The popularity doesn’t bother me so much since I grew up with an extremely popular name and never minded. However, we would probably have to call her by her first and middle name, ex. [name]Emma[/name] [name]Grace[/name] because of the flow of our last name. Hubby also suggested [name]Elizabeth[/name] with the nickname [name]Ellie[/name].

Ladies, please share your thoughts on:

[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Emma[/name]
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Ellie[/name]
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Ella[/name]
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Grace[/name] nn [name]Gracie[/name]
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Sophie[/name]
Cailtin and [name]Isabelle[/name]
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Lila[/name]
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Genevieve[/name]

I appreciate your help and apologize for so many questions. I am open to suggestions. This is a tough decision!

[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Emma[/name] #6
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Ellie[/name] - none of the “el” names sounds good to my ear with [name]Caitlin[/name]
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Ella[/name]
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Grace[/name] nn [name]Gracie[/name] #2
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Sophie[/name] #8
Cailtin and [name]Isabelle[/name] #4
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Caroline[/name] #7
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Lila[/name] #3
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Fiona[/name] #1pick
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Juliet[/name] #5
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Genevieve[/name] - sibs sound “off”

[name]How[/name] about…

[name]Jocelyn[/name]
[name]Alyssa[/name]
[name]Miranda[/name]

Best of luck to you :slight_smile:

[quote=“mom1”]Thank you, [name]Jill[/name]! I really like [name]Fiona[/name]…I hadn’t thought of that one. Maybe I do still like Irish names and just didn’t realize. :slight_smile: I’ll run it by my husband. I also like beautiful vintage names. My hubby suggested [name]Emma[/name], but I am just not sure that it flows well with our last name. What does every one think about [name]Emma[/name]? The popularity doesn’t bother me so much since I grew up with an extremely popular name and never minded. However, we would probably have to call her by her first and middle name, ex. [name]Emma[/name] [name]Grace[/name] because of the flow of our last name. Hubby also suggested [name]Elizabeth[/name] with the nickname [name]Ellie[/name].

Ladies, please share your thoughts on:

[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Emma[/name] - this is wonderful! I read that you don’t mind if names are popular.
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Ellie[/name] - I would lengthen the nn [name]Ellie[/name] to [name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Eleanor[/name] or [name]Eloise[/name].
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Elizabeth[/name] - beautiful!
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Ella[/name] - I think I would lengthen [name]Ella[/name] too. [name]Caitlin[/name] has the nn [name]Kate[/name] or [name]Cate[/name]. [name]Ella[/name] feels a bit nickname-y to me. I think your younger daughter would appreciate having the choice of a more formal name or a nickname.
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Grace[/name] nn [name]Gracie[/name] - pretty.
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Sophie[/name] - pretty
Cailtin and [name]Isabelle[/name] - I like [name]Isabel[/name] better. It seems more refined.
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Caroline[/name] - too similar to my ear.
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Lila[/name] - pretty.
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Fiona[/name] - fabulous!
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Juliet[/name] - I love [name]Juliet[/name], but it doesn’t quite match [name]Caitlin[/name]. I guess you need to decide if that matters or not.
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Genevieve[/name] - for some reason, this works better for me than [name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Genevieve[/name].
I like the way you spelled [name]Caitlin[/name]!

[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Elspeth[/name] nn [name]Elle[/name], [name]Ella[/name], or [name]Ellie[/name], but I like [name]Elizabeth[/name] better with your last name.
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Iona[/name]
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Iris[/name]
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Gwyneth[/name]
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Maeve[/name]

[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Emma[/name] - this is wonderful! I read that you don’t mind if names are popular.
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Ellie[/name] - I would lengthen the nn [name]Ellie[/name] to [name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Eleanor[/name] or [name]Eloise[/name].
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Elizabeth[/name] - beautiful!
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Ella[/name] - I think I would lengthen [name]Ella[/name] too. [name]Caitlin[/name] has the nn [name]Kate[/name] or [name]Cate[/name]. [name]Ella[/name] feels a bit nickname-y to me. I think your younger daughter would appreciate having the choice of a more formal name or a nickname.
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Grace[/name] nn [name]Gracie[/name] - pretty.
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Sophie[/name] - pretty
Cailtin and [name]Isabelle[/name] - I like [name]Isabel[/name] better. It seems more refined.
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Caroline[/name] - too similar to my ear.
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Lila[/name] - pretty.
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Fiona[/name] - fabulous!
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Juliet[/name] - I love [name]Juliet[/name], but it doesn’t quite match [name]Caitlin[/name]. I guess you need to decide if that matters or not.
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Genevieve[/name] - for some reason, this works better for me than [name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Juliet[/name].
I like the way you spelled [name]Caitlin[/name]!

[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Elspeth[/name] nn [name]Elle[/name], [name]Ella[/name], or [name]Ellie[/name], but I like [name]Elizabeth[/name] better with your last name.
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Iona[/name]
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Iris[/name]
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Gwyneth[/name]
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Rosemary[/name] or [name]Rosalind[/name] nn [name]Rose[/name], [name]Rosie[/name], [name]Romy[/name] ([name]Romy[/name] for [name]Rosemary[/name])
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Aurora[/name] nn [name]Rory[/name]
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Simona[/name]
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Lucinda[/name] nn [name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Penelope[/name] nn [name]Penny[/name] - [name]Penelope[/name] could be one of those eccentric British names that also happens to be Greek.
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Daphne[/name] - see above
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Oona[/name]
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Tessa[/name]

Of all of these, my fave combo is [name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Fiona[/name]

[name]Hi[/name] again! Please don’t ever apologize for asking questions! :slight_smile: We’re here to help!

I’m so happy that you’re considering [name]Fiona[/name], and think it’s fantastic that you’re open to classic/vintage names, too! (I think [name]Brennan[/name] is a great last name, by the way.) :slight_smile:

[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Emma[/name]: I think [name]Emma[/name] is really pretty, but with [name]Brennan[/name], I hear too much of the repetitive “eh” sound.

[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Ellie[/name]: I’d keep [name]Ellie[/name] as a fantastic nickname to work with [name]Caitlin[/name].

[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Elizabeth[/name]: I think this is great! (Kind of B-heavy with [name]Brennan[/name], though…)

[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Ella[/name]: If you don’t mind popularity, I think it’s great, but I’m personally not liking its sound with [name]Brennan[/name].

[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Grace[/name] nn [name]Gracie[/name]: I think this is wonderful, too.

[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Sophie[/name]: I love this! :slight_smile:

Cailtin and [name]Isabelle[/name]: I prefer your other, less exotic choices with [name]Caitlin[/name]…

[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Caroline[/name]: I love [name]Caroline[/name], but I think it’s too close to Caitin.

[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Lila[/name]: I love the sound of [name]Lila[/name] [name]Brennan[/name]…

[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Fiona[/name]: I [name]LOVE[/name] this! :slight_smile:

[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Juliet[/name]: I think this is gorgeous!

[name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Genevieve[/name]: I love [name]Genevieve[/name], but with the [name]Gen[/name] beginning, I’m hearing [name]GEN[/name] [name]BRENnan[/name], which rhymes.

From your list, I’m voting for [name]Fiona[/name], Juilet, and [name]Sophie[/name]. I think that [name]Juliet[/name] really brings out [name]Caitlin[/name]'s romantic feel.

More ideas:

[name]Caitlin[/name] and…

[name]Audrey[/name] [name]Brennan[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name] [name]Brennan[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Brennan[/name]
[name]Celia[/name] [name]Brennan[/name]
[name]Daisy[/name] [name]Brennan[/name] (although it has the same initial sound as [name]Caitlin[/name])
[name]Eliza[/name] [name]Brennan[/name] (less B-heavy than [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Brennan[/name])
[name]Eva[/name] [name]Brennan[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name] [name]Brennan[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name] [name]Brennan[/name]
[name]Julia[/name] [name]Brennan[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Brennan[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name] [name]Brennan[/name]
[name]Maeve[/name] [name]Brennan[/name] (I think [name]Susan[/name] had that!)
[name]Miranda[/name] [name]Brennan[/name]
[name]Rosalie[/name] [name]Brennan[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Brennan[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name] [name]Brennan[/name]
[name]Violet[/name] [name]Brennan[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

It’s completely acceptable to give a child a name of Latin origin, even though you aren’t Spanish etc… I would probably say different if the names you had picked were out-there Spanish ([name]Belen[/name] etc.), but as the ones you like are pretty widely used in English-speaking countries, I think it’s fine.
But don’t dismiss Irish names, because there are some lovely ones! The ever-popular [name]Niamh[/name] (neev) is, in my opinion, very feminine, and if you dislike the seeming totally irrelevance of the spelling to the pronunciation, I have seen it anglicised to [name]Neve[/name]. (I think this one goes best with [name]Caitlin[/name].)
[name]Nuala[/name] (Noo-la) and [name]Orfhlaith[/name] ([name]Orla[/name], as it is spelt in the anglicised form) are also feminine.
Others that you might like are [name]Saoirse[/name] (seer-sha) and [name]Caoimhe[/name] (kee-va).
I hope this helped!

not at all…go with [name]Valentina[/name]!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I agree [name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Fiona[/name] are a darling pair!

I also really like [name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Gwyneth[/name], [name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Maeve[/name], [name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Penelope[/name], [name]Caitlin[/name] and [name]Elspeth[/name] or [name]Eliza[/name].

My best friend is named [name]Viviana[/name]. She is half [name]Black[/name] and half Mexican. I love the name. Her last name was Combs till she got married. That’s is the complete opposite of [name]Viviana[/name].
Her big cousin [name]Juan[/name] [name]Jose[/name] (J.J.) named her after his favorite [name]Novella[/name].
[name]How[/name] about [name]Aurelia[/name]? It goes with your Latin/Irish theme.

Now a days name ethnicity is so muddied, it’s hard to tell where most names fit. If it’s a name that you like ([name]Valentina[/name] was my favorite of those listed) then use it.

I think that [name]Caitlin[/name] would go well with [name]Olivia[/name]. Possibly [name]Eliana[/name].

I also love these girly of name some of my favourites are:
Marriella,
[name]Esme[/name],
Tallullah ([name]Tula[/name]/[name]Lula[/name]),
[name]Posie[/name],
[name]Jasmine[/name],
[name]Lacey[/name],
[name]Lola[/name],
Amelle,
[name]Amelie[/name],
[name]Angelia[/name],
[name]Sapphire[/name],
[name]Hope[/name] i helped and good luck!