Names and Nicknames - 1956 & 1958

I was digging around on Ancestry after getting my DNA results back and I stumbled upon an entire scan of my grandmother’s high school year book from 1956 (and her younger sister’s from 1958). Her name is [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_u]Lou[/name_u], but in the yearbook it showed that she went by [name_f]Lu[/name_f] [name_f]Lu[/name_f]! So naturally I started “paging” through, and there were some pretty interesting finds! Here are some interesting full names and nicknames.

[name_m]Leon[/name_m] nn. [name_u]Lee[/name_u]
[name_m]Borys[/name_m] nn. [name_m]Bill[/name_m]
[name_u]Florian[/name_u] nn. Ornie
[name_m]Allan[/name_m] nn. [name_u]Allie[/name_u]
[name_m]Sanford[/name_m] nn. [name_u]Sandy[/name_u]
Dumaine nn. [name_u]Red[/name_u]
[name_m]Edwyn[/name_m] nn. [name_m]Ed[/name_m]
[name_m]Calvin[/name_m] nn. [name_u]Kelly[/name_u]
[name_m]Lyman[/name_m]

[name_f]Thelma[/name_f] nn. Ta
[name_f]Clara[/name_f] nn. Sis
[name_f]Phylis[/name_f]/[name_f]Phyllis[/name_f] nn. [name_u]Phil[/name_u] (a few times!)
[name_f]Denise[/name_f] nn. Dinny
[name_f]Doris[/name_f] nn. Dode
[name_f]Leila[/name_f] nn. [name_f]Lu[/name_f]
[name_f]Betty[/name_f] nn. [name_f]Betts[/name_f]
[name_f]Lois[/name_f] nn. Oily
Wilman nn. [name_u]Billy[/name_u]
[name_f]Arla[/name_f]
La Vonne nn. [name_f]Bonnie[/name_f]
[name_f]Beulah[/name_f] nn. [name_m]Biff[/name_m]
Laneh
[name_f]Dayna[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] nn. [name_f]Bebe[/name_f]
Delephine nn. [name_u]Del[/name_u]
[name_f]Maxine[/name_f] nn. [name_u]Min[/name_u]

3 Likes

Great find!

I love [name_u]Florian[/name_u], [name_u]Sandy[/name_u], [name_u]Red[/name_u], [name_m]Edwyn[/name_m] and [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] on the boys’ side, and [name_f]Clara[/name_f] “Sis”, [name_f]Betty[/name_f], [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] “[name_f]Bebe[/name_f]” and [name_f]Maxine[/name_f] “[name_u]Min[/name_u]” on the girls’.

Poor [name_f]Lois[/name_f]! :scream:

I had to zoom in really close to make sure that’s what it said, I truly wanted it to say [name_u]Olly[/name_u] but alas…Oily. :rofl:

1 Like

[name_m]How[/name_m] fascinating! I’m laughing over “Poor [name_f]Lois[/name_f]”, though! :smile: That is a rather unfortunate nickname.

[name_m]Allan[/name_m] “[name_u]Allie[/name_u]” is growing on me, I think…
[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Clara[/name_f] “Sis” and Delephine “[name_u]Del[/name_u]” from the girls list.

La Vonne nn [name_f]Bonnie[/name_f], [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] nn [name_f]Bebe[/name_f], and [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] nn [name_u]Del[/name_u]… omg!! I’m stunned at how fabulous these are! :heart_eyes:

[name_u]Florian[/name_u] has started growing on me lately, but Ornie? No offense to anybody with this name, but… no.

[name_m]How[/name_m] amazing are these! I love [name_m]Calvin[/name_m]:[name_u]Kelly[/name_u] and [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]:[name_f]Bebe[/name_f].

There must be some great stories behind these nicknames, and i’d love to know them!!