Names and Their Nicknames

Are their names you love with nicknames you hate, or vice versa? Is their any way to sidestep the nickname? Also, what are some of your very favorite nicknames? Discuss any nickname issues you have!

For me, I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Conrad[/name], but would HATE for people to call him [name]Con[/name] or [name]Connie[/name]. Same with [name]Alexandra[/name]: love the full name, [name]Alex[/name] not so much.

Also, I love the nickname [name]Kitty[/name]! However, I only like [name]Catherine[/name] spelled with a C, not a K. [name]Do[/name] you think that [name]Kitty[/name] could still be a nickname for the C version?

I love the name [name]Shaelyn[/name] and I also think that [name]Shae[/name] is a cute nickname. Anyone agree or disagree?

I work in a hospital, one long term resident we had, was named [name]Catherine[/name]… and they called her [name]Kitty[/name]!!! I loved it, thought she was a doll, and she was so cute… the named suited her sooo well!

i love the nn tate for thomas. but we have a DS beckett, so thomas is out (there was a historical figure in england in the 1100’s named thomas becket).

love maisie, not so much margaret. love poppy, not so much penelope. love rory, not so much aurora. hmmm…i think i just like nicknames =)

I love [name]Chet[/name] for [name]Chester[/name] or [name]Charlie[/name]! so cute!

I love the name [name]Charlotte[/name], but don’t like any of the nicknames. [name]Char[/name], [name]Shar[/name], [name]Charlie[/name] (I like that for a boy though), [name]Lottie[/name], or as used on “Pushing Daisies,” [name]Chuck[/name]. Blech on them all.

I had a relative (great-aunt, I think) I’ve been told her given name was [name]Amelia[/name], but she was called [name]Millie[/name] all the time. I’m not necessarily opposed to the nickname [name]Millie[/name] if it seemed to apply, like [name]Millicent[/name] or [name]Camille[/name] or something, but [name]Amelia[/name] is very pretty I want to look at and hear the whole thing all the time. I recall also being told my great-aunt might have been named [name]Emily[/name] and changed to [name]Amelia[/name] (or the other way around), which to alter her first name and still go by [name]Millie[/name] all her life seems even more mysterious.

My mom had pretty much decided on [name]Andrew[/name] for my brother but then my grandma thought it would be cute to call him [name]Andy[/name]. Mom hated the nickname so much she gave up the name.

We almost named my son [name]Alfred[/name] to call him [name]Alfie[/name]/[name]Freddy[/name], but we realized that when he got older he would most likely be called [name]Al[/name], and we hated that. I think undesirable nicknames are one of my biggest problems with names. Like [name]Scarlett[/name] is one of my favorite names, but I just saw 17 Again and that’s his wife’s name and he calls her Scar! Blech! There are tons of names I like the nickname for, but not the full name, like I like [name]Roxy[/name] but not [name]Roxanna[/name]; and vice versa, I like [name]Nixie[/name] but not [name]Nicole[/name], [name]Ziggy[/name] but not [name]Sigmund[/name], etc.

I have a cousin who has gone through this problem with naming and I think this is the solution. If the name has more than 2 syllables, people are going to shorten it. If you don’t like the name people would automatically choose, then suggest another nickname immediately. Example: [name]Alexandra[/name]. If you don’t like [name]Alex[/name], tell people right away that you’d like to call her [name]Lexi[/name] or [name]Xandra[/name] or [name]Andy[/name] or whatever you can come up with. If you don’t tell them anything they will probably start using [name]Alex[/name] before you know it.
[name]Conrad[/name] is only two syllables, so I don’t see a reason to shorten it…besides [name]Connie[/name] isn’t any shorter than [name]Conrad[/name] so I wouldn’t think it would be a big problem.

My son is called Oliver but I don’t like the spelling Ollie but I like Olly.

My two nieces are Phoebe which has been shortened to Phoebs and then Scarlett that was shortened to Scarlie.

My best friend is called Sabrina but she likes to be called Beena.

My boyfriend is Ryan but his mum calls him Ryds cause they hate Ry or Ryry.

I love Mia but not Amelia, Vicki but not Victoria, Liz but not Elizabeth, Lena but not Elena.
I like Jennifer not Jenny, Bethany not Beth, Diane not Deedee, Andrea not Andy.

My name is Jodie but I much prefer Jo. Though I am called a variety of Jo, Jojo, Jodes, Joey.

I love [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] but not [name_f]Rosie[/name_f] or [name_u]Romy[/name_u], and [name_f]Ellen[/name_f] but not [name_f]Ellie[/name_f]. However, I love [name_f]Bea[/name_f] but I am less keen on [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], and I love some of the nicknames for [name_f]Florence[/name_f], but not the full name for its own sake. I also like [name_u]Robin[/name_u], but [name_m]Robert[/name_m] less so.

Definitely! [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] is, as far as I know, the version traditionally used in [name_f]England[/name_f], and [name_f]Kitty[/name_f] is the English nickname, so it has lots of historical usage as a nickname for [name_f]Catherine[/name_f].

I love nicknames! So so much! Sometimes a nickname makes me fall in love with a full name. Like [name_f]Annie[/name_f]/[name_u]Sunny[/name_u] for [name_f]Susannah[/name_f], [name_u]Billy[/name_u] for [name_m]William[/name_m], or [name_m]Ned[/name_m] for [name_m]Edward[/name_m].

[name_f]Andie[/name_f] for [name_f]Alexandria[/name_f] is another of my favorites. Ditto for [name_u]Andy[/name_u] for [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]. [name_f]Cathy[/name_f] is my preferred [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] nickname. [name_f]Milly[/name_f] for [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], [name_u]Josie[/name_u] for [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]/a, and pretty much any [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] nickname.
I’ve been turned off from [name_m]Anthony[/name_m], because I don’t love [name_u]Tony[/name_u], but I kinda like Ant…

My maiden name is [name_m]Conrad[/name_m] and I was told that [name_m]Kurt[/name_m] is a nickname for [name_m]Conrad[/name_m], and I’ve always kind of liked that so I told my husband that–if we have a boy–[name_m]Conrad[/name_m] needs to be on the table as an option for names.

My middle name is [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] and for a short while in junior high I wanted to be called by that instead of my first name (I thought my first name was too masculine), but some of my classmates called me ‘[name_f]Katie[/name_f]’ and I just HATE the name [name_f]Katie[/name_f], so I went back to my actual name. But if you have the name [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] you can use any of the nicknames associated and have ‘K’ start the nickname. Look at [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] Middleton; we call her ‘[name_f]Kate[/name_f]’.

Am I the only one on here who believes nicknames should only be chosen by the child? I say, if you’re worried about your kid being called something you don’t like, pick a name with no.possible nickname options!

[name_f]Kitty[/name_f] could definitely be a nickname for [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]—just look at Pride and Prejudice

I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] the name [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] however I can’t stand [name_f]Lulu[/name_f]. I’m neutral about [name_u]Lou[/name_u] though

Wouldn’t worry about [name_m]Conrad[/name_m]. I wouldn’t call a [name_m]Conrad[/name_m] [name_u]Con[/name_u] or [name_u]Connie[/name_u], just [name_m]Conrad[/name_m]. [name_m]Conrad[/name_m] doesn’t really have established nicknames and I don’t think that many people would try. And I totally think [name_f]Kitty[/name_f] works with [name_f]Catherine[/name_f].

I love [name_m]Alexander[/name_m], hate [name_u]Alex[/name_u]. [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Pamela[/name_f], hate [name_f]Pam[/name_f]. [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Addy[/name_f], don’t like any of its longer forms. I love [name_f]Seraphina[/name_f] and [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] but wouldn’t want them shortened to [name_f]Sera[/name_f] or [name_f]Maggie[/name_f]. [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Fifi[/name_f] and [name_f]Nola[/name_f] as nickname though. I like [name_f]Madeline[/name_f], not [name_f]Maddie[/name_f]. Like [name_m]Patrick[/name_m], hate [name_u]Pat[/name_u]. I love [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] [name_f]Sadie[/name_f] and [name_m]Leo[/name_m] but not their longer forms, but its okay because they work as names of their own now. I love the nn [name_f]Indy[/name_f] but don’t really like [name_f]India[/name_f] as a name and don’t know how I feel about [name_f]Indira[/name_f]. I love the name [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] but hate [name_m]Gabe[/name_m].