Names for 2nd daughter, opinions please

[name]Hi[/name], I think we have the names narrowed down for our second daughter.

Her big sister’s name is [name]Carly[/name] [name]Ona[/name] Augustyn. ([name]Ona[/name] - family name)

Since my first daughter has a meaningful middle name, I would like for this baby to have one too, but the only one we have to work with is [name]Irene[/name], and I am not completely committed to using a family mn if it doesn’t work.

So here is what we have narrowed down for first names:

[name]Annabelle[/name]
[name]Camdyn[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Mabel[/name]

The one I think sounds the prettiest is [name]Annabelle[/name] [name]Irene[/name], but [name]Annabelle[/name] is such a long name with multiple nn and [name]Carly[/name] is short with no nn, seems like I should stick to short, but not sure if it matters. My husband loves [name]Mabel[/name] and we had considered this for our first daughter as well. He likes [name]Mabel[/name] [name]Ann[/name], because [name]Ann[/name] is my middle name, but sounds like a filler to me. (We would have the same initials then too, since my first is [name]Melissa[/name].) I think a spunky mn for [name]Mabel[/name] or [name]Mabel[/name] [name]Irene[/name] are better choices. For [name]Camdyn[/name] I would like to use another O mn, [name]Ophelia[/name] or [name]Olivia[/name] maybe, then the girls would have the same initials. I think [name]Irene[/name] works with [name]Lydia[/name] too.

So what do you think?

Thanks!

I like [name]Camdyn[/name] but I don’t think a lot of people on nameberry do. I also like somewhat matchy sibsets so to me [name]Carly[/name] [name]Ona[/name] and [name]Camdyn[/name] [name]Olivia[/name](I prefer this over [name]Ophelia[/name]) are really cute. [name]Mabel[/name] [name]Irene[/name] does sound really pretty too. I know you said you don’t like [name]Ann[/name] very much but [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Ann[/name] sounds really nice too! I think [name]Camdyn[/name] [name]Olivia[/name] and [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Ann[/name] would be my favorites. [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Irene[/name] sounds nice too.

Thank you! I hadn’t thought about [name]Lydia[/name] with [name]Ann[/name], but it does have a nice ring to it. Thank you for telling me which ones you like best! It is funny, not a lot of people on Nameberry don’t seem to like [name]Camdyn[/name], but I have seen a lot of positive comments on [name]Mabel[/name]…here in the real world, my friends and coworkers love [name]Camdyn[/name] and really do not like [name]Mabel[/name] (probably why we didn’t end up with that for our first daughter). My husband and I seem to be the only ones out here that like [name]Mabel[/name]!

If you want a similar style with [name]Carly[/name]: [name]Camdyn[/name] [name]Olivia[/name] ([name]Camden[/name] is my preferred spelling)
If you want a more feminine name with [name]Carly[/name]: [name]Mabel[/name] [name]Irene[/name] or [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Irene[/name]
If you want a shorter name with [name]Carly[/name]: [name]Annabel[/name] [name]Irene[/name]

I like [name]Mabel[/name] [name]Irene[/name] the most.

Are you familiar with [name]Camden[/name], New [name]Jersey[/name]? It’s been ranked in the top 10 of the most violent cities in the U.S since 1998, and it’s been #1 quite a few times. That’s always what I think of when I hear the name. The sound isn’t terribly unappealing, but I’ve always been sort of confused as to why the name is so popular given the reference. I also don’t like it’s matchiness with [name]Carly[/name].

I think that [name]Annabelle[/name], [name]Mabel[/name], and [name]Lydia[/name] are all really nice! I like [name]Mabel[/name] [name]Ann[/name] a lot. I get why you think that [name]Ann[/name] sounds filler-ish, and I usually don’t like “filler” middle names, but I think the fact that it’s a family name trumps that. [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Irene[/name] is probably my favorite of your choices. I think it’s really lovely.

Thank you for the breakdown and ideas! I think choosing a second girl name is even harder than the first!

Yes, [name]Camden[/name] NJ definitely gives the name a bad connection to deal with! Something to think about for sure. We live in the south so it isn’t a huge issue, but hardens the name a lot. Thank you for your advice and suggestions, I do like [name]Mabel[/name] [name]Ann[/name] as well, glad you like at 3 of the names!

I like your idea of [name]Annabelle[/name] and don’t really see a problem with a sibset of [name]Annabelle[/name] & [name]Carly[/name]… especially if you nn your 2nd daughter [name]Anna[/name] or [name]Belle[/name]. Then the nn & full name of your first daughter match in length more. [name]Carly[/name] & [name]Anna[/name] are cute together, so are [name]Carly[/name] & [name]Belle[/name]. Since [name]Annabelle[/name] starts with [name]Ann[/name], it has a tie to your first name too. [name]Carly[/name] & [name]Annabelle[/name] work just as well together as [name]Carly[/name] & nn. I don’t think it’s a problem that one name has lots of nn potential & the other doesn’t. Friends and family can always come up with a nickname that has nothing to do with the name if a nn is needed. My brother’s friends call him TJ, although his name is [name]Jonathan[/name]. ??? :slight_smile: Another friend called her son Bunbun although his name was [name]Jonathan[/name] too. Fortunately he quickly grew out of that nn!

[name]Annabelle[/name] [name]Irene[/name] works nicely together and I like the meaning. ([name]Annabelle[/name] = lovable or beautiful grace & [name]Irene[/name] = peace) Plus it has not one, but 2 references to family members so is even more meaningful for you.

Other combos/names from your list I like:
I prefer [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Ann[/name] to [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Irene[/name] since it has a nicer flow imo but both work. The meaning of the name [name]Lydia[/name] is not very interesting though.
[name]Mabel[/name] [name]Ann[/name] or [name]Mabel[/name] [name]Irene[/name] (again, [name]Mabel[/name] [name]Ann[/name] works better imo for same reason as above) [name]Mabel[/name] has the same root form & meaning as [name]Annabelle[/name] -interesting that both names are on your list! I perfer [name]Annabelle[/name], but they are both nice.

Thanks! I was really drawn to the combo [name]Annabelle[/name] [name]Irene[/name] for all those reasons too! I loved the meanings together. I thought it was strange that [name]Mabel[/name] and [name]Annabelle[/name] are so related too, you wouldn’t guess that just from looking at them. Thanks for the suggestions.

Yeah…[name]Camden[/name] is not the best association. My moms side of the family is from [name]Jersey[/name].

I like [name]Lydia[/name] and [name]Mabel[/name].

[name]Mabel[/name] [name]Irene[/name] sounds the nicest to me.