Names for the surname Swan.

I have a friend who is expecting her first child, a boy, just after [name_u]Christmas[/name_u]. I saw her yesterday, and naturally asked if she had any names in mind. She confessed that she’s been having trouble finding names that sound good with her surname. She asked me for suggestions but I could only think of a few, and even some of those sounded a little off. She’s decided on the middle name [name_m]Michael[/name_m] after he father but she’s not too concerned about how the middle name sounds with the first, as long as the first name works with her surname.

I told her I’d make a thread on here, asking for suggestions and she is pretty excited to hear some comments, so we’d love some suggestions!!

Oh, to give you an idea on the names she likes, she likes these:
[name_u]James[/name_u]
[name_u]Finn[/name_u]
[name_m]George[/name_m]
[name_m]Harrison[/name_m]
[name_u]Evan[/name_u]
[name_u]Charlie[/name_u] (she’s decided against this one completely because this is apparently [name_f]Bella[/name_f]'s father’s name in Twilight)
[name_u]Alex[/name_u]
[name_m]Miles[/name_m]

Thanks in advance!

I think your friend likes English names that aren’t too… English. So here’s my list:

[name_u]Avery[/name_u]
[name_u]Auden[/name_u]
[name_u]Averill[/name_u]
[name_m]Beckham[/name_m]
[name_m]Beaman[/name_m]
[name_m]Clark[/name_m]
Damian
[name_m]Darrow[/name_m]
[name_u]Everett[/name_u]/[name_u]Everest[/name_u]
[name_m]Foster[/name_m]
[name_m]Hawthorne[/name_m]
[name_u]Langley[/name_u]
[name_m]Lincoln[/name_m]
Peter
[name_m]Preston[/name_m]
[name_m]Ransom[/name_m]
[name_m]Rigby[/name_m]
[name_m]Thackeray[/name_m]
[name_m]Westley[/name_m]
[name_m]Wilder[/name_m]

Maybe she’ll find some she likes : )

I think she’s struggling in part because she likes short names and with a short surname that’s harder. Some of them, like [name_u]James[/name_u] and [name_m]Miles[/name_m], end with a Z sound (spelled with S), which kind of runs into the S of Swan. Some of the longer names she likes, like [name_u]Evan[/name_u] and [name_m]Harrison[/name_m], end with N which is going to sound a little rhymey with Swan (although they work OK enough I think).

Of the names she likes, I think [name_m]George[/name_m], [name_u]Evan[/name_u], and [name_m]Harrison[/name_m] all work well enough with her last name.

She might also like
[name_m]Alexander[/name_m] nn [name_u]Alex[/name_u], or nn [name_m]Alec[/name_m]
[name_m]Christopher[/name_m]
[name_m]Daniel[/name_m]
[name_m]David[/name_m]
[name_m]Edward[/name_m]
[name_m]Eli[/name_m]
[name_u]Elliott[/name_u]
[name_m]Ethan[/name_m]
[name_u]Everett[/name_u]
[name_m]Frederick[/name_m]
[name_m]Henry[/name_m]
[name_m]Ian[/name_m]
[name_u]Jameson[/name_u]
[name_m]Jonah[/name_m]
[name_m]Joseph[/name_m]
[name_m]Milo[/name_m]
[name_m]Nathan[/name_m]
[name_m]Nataniel[/name_m]
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m]
[name_m]Peter[/name_m]
[name_m]Philip[/name_m]
[name_u]Theo[/name_u]
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m]
[name_m]Victor[/name_m]
[name_m]Vincent[/name_m]
[name_m]William[/name_m]

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I like most of them, I’ll pass them on to her and see what she thinks! :slight_smile:

I think 2 or 3 syllable names ending in o, t, or r would well with both Swan and the mn [name_m]Michael[/name_m].

[name_m]Enzo[/name_m], [name_m]Hugo[/name_m], [name_m]Jethro[/name_m], [name_m]Leo[/name_m], [name_m]Milo[/name_m], [name_u]Nico[/name_u], [name_m]Otto[/name_m], [name_u]Theo[/name_u]

[name_m]Albert[/name_m], [name_u]Elliot[/name_u], [name_m]Garrett[/name_m], [name_m]Vincent[/name_m], [name_m]Wyatt[/name_m]

[name_m]Arthur[/name_m], [name_m]Casper[/name_m], [name_u]Chandler[/name_u], [name_m]Chester[/name_m], [name_m]Connor[/name_m], [name_m]Fletcher[/name_m], [name_m]Luther[/name_m], [name_m]Oliver[/name_m], [name_m]Oscar[/name_m], [name_m]Peter[/name_m], [name_m]Roger[/name_m], [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u]

[name_m]Alexander[/name_m] [name_m]Michael[/name_m] Swan
[name_m]Nikolai[/name_m] [name_m]Michael[/name_m] Swan
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m] [name_m]Michael[/name_m] Swan
[name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_m]Michael[/name_m] Swan
[name_m]Gideon[/name_m] [name_m]Michael[/name_m] Swan
[name_m]Julius[/name_m] [name_m]Michael[/name_m] Swan
[name_m]Frederick[/name_m] [name_m]Michael[/name_m] Swan
[name_m]Zachary[/name_m] [name_m]Michael[/name_m] Swan
[name_m]Vladimir[/name_m] [name_m]Michael[/name_m] Swan
[name_m]Timothy[/name_m] [name_m]Michael[/name_m] Swan
[name_m]Dominic[/name_m] [name_m]Michael[/name_m] Swan
[name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] [name_m]Michael[/name_m] Swan