Names from an old cemetery

These are some interesting names I recorded from an old cemetery-- most of them are around the mid-19th century:

Paphiras
[name]Horatio[/name]
[name]Marietta[/name]
[name]Alethea[/name]
[name]Alma[/name]
[name]Alpheus[/name]
[name]Mercy[/name]
Epaphras
[name]Delphine[/name]
[name]Olive[/name], [name]Amanda[/name]
[name]Emogene[/name]
[name]Lucretia[/name]
Delgenia
[name]Cornelia[/name]
[name]Zaneta[/name]
[name]Electa[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Augusta[/name]
[name]Temperance[/name]
[name]Mabel[/name] (last name Quakenbush)
[name]Thirza[/name]
[name]Phebe[/name]
[name]Vinetta[/name]
Adalbert
Sarepta
[name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]George[/name], [name]John[/name], [name]Frances[/name], [name]Anna[/name]
[name]Rosetta[/name]
[name]Clara[/name], [name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Emeline[/name]
[name]Daisy[/name]
[name]Adelaide[/name]
[name]Minerva[/name]
[name]Milo[/name]
[name]Rhoda[/name]
[name]Clarissa[/name], [name]Ruby[/name], [name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Elmira[/name]
Amorett
Eusebia
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name], [name]Casper[/name]
Phidelia
Tryphena
[name]Jude[/name]
[name]Maud[/name]
[name]Agnes[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
[name]Mina[/name]
[name]Royal[/name]
Orcelia
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Rufus[/name]
[name]Alida[/name]
[name]Sylvie[/name], [name]Hattie[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Adeline[/name]
[name]Simeon[/name]
[name]Darwin[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]

Family members/siblings are included with commas. These were just the ones I particularly liked or that intrigued me. There were also many [name]Julias[/name], Coras, [name]Williams[/name], Sarahs, etc. Old cemeteries are the best places for name-hunting! :slight_smile:

Wow! Such great names! What a great list! I love [name]Clarissa[/name], [name]Ruby[/name] and [name]Eliza[/name] as sisters. I’ve just been thinking about [name]Clarissa[/name] lately!

:wink:

I’m loving this list! I’d never thought about name hunting in old cemeteries before. There are a few in my area, so I just might have to add that to my to-do list. Here are my favorites:

[name]Horatio[/name]
[name]Alpheus[/name]
[name]Olive[/name]
[name]Cornelia[/name]
[name]Mabel[/name] Quackenbush (love that last name!)
[name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]George[/name]
[name]Frances[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Minerva[/name]
[name]Milo[/name]
[name]Clarissa[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Casper[/name]
Phidelia
[name]Jude[/name]
[name]Rufus[/name]
[name]Sylvie[/name]
[name]Hattie[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Adeline[/name]
[name]Darwin[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]

OK, I really love:
[name]Alethea[/name] - nn [name]Thea[/name], I absolutely adore that name.
[name]Delphine[/name] - just beautiful, nn [name]Fin[/name], which I think is absolutely adorable
[name]Cornelia[/name] - nn [name]Nell[/name], it is so classy and elegant
[name]Temperance[/name] - I really like the sound of it, but could probably picture it only as a middle name
[name]Mabel[/name] - nn [name]May[/name], one of my vintage favorites
[name]Rosetta[/name] - beautiful
[name]Daisy[/name] - so cute
[name]Maud[/name] - I love it, I generally like the /o:/ sound in names
[name]Agnes[/name] [name]Rose[/name] - despite the fact that both names end in the same /s/ sound, I adore this combination
[name]Simeon[/name] - I really love it for a boy
[name]Flora[/name] - one of my vintage favorites, as well
I think [name]Alethea[/name] [name]Maud[/name], [name]Mabel[/name] [name]Rose[/name], [name]Flora[/name] [name]Delphine[/name] and [name]Cornelia[/name] [name]Temperance[/name] are my favorite combinations.

Well old cemeteries ARE a great place for name hunting. I don’t find it creepy at all. And looking at lists from that era really just doesn’t have the same effect. Try for yourself sometime and you’ll see!

I love looking in cemeteries for names! That’s how I originally found my favorite name, [name]Ada/name. Then I met a little girl with that name and I fell in love!
And I actually know a girl named [name]Alethea[/name]. She goes to my high school.

I find old cemeteries very peaceful–the creepiness of being around dead people has worn off and there is such a sense of being surrounded by peace and wisdom. The idea that cemeteries are scary is recent–19th century people often went for walks in the lovely shade of a cemetery.

These are fabulous! And I agree, it’s not creepy to look for names in cemeteries. If you think about it, it’s kind of like you’re honoring the dead by spending time considering their names and who they were. I loved doing this in [name]Ireland[/name]: there were often stacks of headstones three deep where people had been buried over the centuries. You could see the passage of history right in front of you, both in the state of the stones and in the variety of names.

I did this for the first time just yesterday. It is extremely peaceful! I was a little aprehensive about it at first, but I enjoyed it! I found some great names!!

[name]Maudie[/name] [name]May[/name] ([name]March[/name]-[name]June[/name] 1920)
[name]Nellie[/name] (1891-1964)
[name]Prudence[/name] (1872-1950)
[name]Hattie[/name] (1905-1944)
[name]Minnie[/name] (1887-1974)
[name]Leta[/name] (1905-1950)
[name]Lottie[/name] (1882-1915)
[name]Birdie[/name] (1895-1927)
[name]Darwin[/name] (1918-1998)
[name]Tobias[/name] (1835-1917)
Seldan (1872-1933)

I love cemeteries - if you are respectful there is nothing more mind-opening than a walk or sit in an old mossy cemetery, it puts into perspective so much, all your niggling worries come to nothing when you lie at peace.

I asked my parents for a plot for my 18th birthday, so I could choose it, and they thought I was the creepiest person on the planet.

We all end up there. I hope one day some expectant Mum looks at my grave and thinks “[name]Christy[/name]… what a quaint, charming old name!”

I love old cemeteries. There is something peaceful and wistful about walking through them and trying to imagine the lives of the people who rest there. Your list if wonderful and some of those names are in my family tree.

I have been “into” genealogy for years and have traced my family tree back to the 1600s. Here are some of the first names (and some are quite ordinary):

Ladies -
[name]Arabella[/name] (grandmother)
[name]Francine[/name] (grandmother
[name]Delilah[/name] (gr-grandmother)
[name]Susannah[/name] (gr-grandmother)
[name]Pollyanna[/name] (gr-grandmother)
[name]Martha[/name] [name]Ellen[/name] (gr-grandmother)

Further back the family tree:
[name]Adalaide[/name]
Magadalena (from [name]France[/name])
[name]Mariah[/name]
[name]Isabeau[/name] (also French)
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]America[/name]
Gwenhamara (from [name]Wales[/name] - born 1809)
[name]Adelia[/name]
[name]Odette[/name]
[name]Aurora[/name]
Odalie
[name]Ardyth[/name] (also from [name]Wales[/name] - born 1799)

Men:
[name]Adrian[/name] (grandfather)
[name]Daniel[/name] (grandfather)
[name]Jackson[/name] (gr-grandfather)
[name]Jasper[/name] (gr-grandfather)
[name]Peter[/name] (gr-grandfather)
[name]William[/name] (gr-grandfather)

Other names further back in the tree:
[name]Campbell[/name]
[name]Wilson[/name]
[name]Elias[/name]
[name]Fritz[/name]
[name]Grayson[/name]
[name]Graham[/name]
[name]Navarre[/name] (from [name]France[/name] - born 1722)
[name]Emanuel[/name]
[name]Elder[/name]
[name]Enoch[/name]
Phillp
[name]Geoffry[/name]
[name]Marshall[/name]
Stratton
[name]Flanagan[/name] (from [name]Ireland[/name] - 1815)

“I have been “into” genealogy for years and have traced my family tree back to the 1600s. Here are some of the first names (and some are quite ordinary):”

I have been thinking about tracing my family tree for quite sime time. It will be very difficult for me though; my family is spread out and there is a history of multiple marriages, all with multiple children, etc.

I really enjoyed your family names, especially…

[name]Arabella[/name] (grandmother)
[name]Delilah[/name] (gr-grandmother)
[name]Susannah[/name] (gr-grandmother)

Further back the family tree:
[name]Adalaide[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]

Other names further back in the tree:
[name]Elias[/name]
[name]Fritz[/name]
[name]Grayson[/name]
[name]Graham[/name]
Phillp
[name]Marshall[/name]
[name]Flanagan[/name] (from [name]Ireland[/name] - 1815)

Some names that I remember I’ve seen in the cemetery where my grandparents are buried (in the older section) that I haven’t seen on any of the previous lists were:

Sophrona
Permilia
[name]Lavinia[/name]
[name]Leta[/name]
Kesiah
[name]Malvina[/name]
[name]Hetty[/name]
[name]Sabina[/name]

Saramee - Gwenhamara is amazing! I’m so glad I found this thread. Being Welsh I adore finding old Welsh gems :slight_smile:

You have some of my favourite names in your family tree, like [name]Susannah[/name], [name]Delilah[/name], [name]Arabella[/name], [name]Martha[/name], [name]Magdalena[/name], [name]Isabeau[/name], [name]Lydia[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name], [name]Adelia[/name], [name]Odette[/name] and [name]Aurora[/name]. Also really loving [name]Ardyth[/name]! If I was you I’d be naming all my daughters after ancestors!! Lol.

Irisrose - fabulous idea! Might give that a try myself! I particularly loved [name]Alethea[/name], [name]Olive[/name], [name]Susannah[/name], [name]Augusta[/name], [name]Mabel[/name], [name]Thirza[/name], [name]Beatrice[/name], [name]Frances[/name], [name]Clara[/name], [name]Emeline[/name], [name]Adelaide[/name], [name]Clarissa[/name], [name]Josephine[/name], [name]Louisa[/name], [name]Mina[/name], [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Alida[/name] and [name]Sylvie[/name].

I love old cemeteries. I don’t find it weird at all. There are a lot in my area, we used to actually hang out in two when I was little (to be clear we were never disrespectful, it was just a really nice place to have lunch/read a book/etc. They are both historical landmarks so there are usually tourists, probably why we never thought it strange). Where my love for the name [name]Obadiah[/name] started (he lost two wives young and died an old bachelor, while his brother [name]James[/name] died an old man with his wife and many children. Poor [name]Obadiah[/name]).
From your list I love:
[name]Horatio[/name]
[name]Marietta[/name]
[name]Alma[/name]
[name]Mercy[/name]
[name]Delphine[/name]
[name]Olive[/name]
[name]Emogene[/name] (interesting spelling)
[name]Cornelia[/name]
[name]Electa[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Augusta[/name]
[name]Temperance[/name]
[name]Mabel[/name] (her last name just makes it so much better)
[name]Phebe[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]George[/name]
[name]Anna[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Daisy[/name]
[name]Adelaide[/name]
[name]Minerva[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Casper[/name] (love)
[name]Jude[/name]
[name]Maud[/name]
[name]Mina[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Rufus[/name] (super love!)
[name]Alida[/name]
[name]Sylvie[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Adeline[/name]
[name]Simeon[/name]
[name]Darwin[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]

Amazing how so many “old” names can still hold up today.