Names from other countries

Any names from other countries that are not very heard of in the U.S. but are still usable, not too outlandish.

[name_f]Asha[/name_f]
[name_f]Toula[/name_f]
[name_f]Innogen[/name_f]
[name_f]Indira[/name_f]
[name_f]Ksenia[/name_f]
[name_f]Bronwen[/name_f]
[name_f]Iniga[/name_f]
[name_m]Mael[/name_m]
[name_f]Petra[/name_f]

[name_u]Maret[/name_u]
[name_f]Renate[/name_f]
[name_f]Saskia[/name_f]
[name_f]Marise[/name_f]
[name_f]Vienne[/name_f]
Kasimira
[name_f]Liora[/name_f]
[name_f]Adena[/name_f] (Hebrew has a lot of names that sound like trendy American names, but actually have history! lol)
[name_m]Kiran[/name_m] (same with [name_f]Indian[/name_f] names)
Bethari
Dafina
[name_f]Lucina[/name_f]
[name_f]Vesta[/name_f]
[name_f]Darya[/name_f]
[name_f]Polina[/name_f]
Verica
[name_f]Gracia[/name_f]
[name_f]Mireille[/name_f]

Och, too many to count! I love this type of name. I’m not sure all of these are popular in other countries now, but they are names used in other cultures that aren’t as popular here in the US.

[name_f]Anouk[/name_f]
[name_f]Poppy[/name_f]
[name_f]Marguerite[/name_f]
[name_f]Adele[/name_f]
Adalet (a Turkish name I find darling! It seems like a mix between [name_f]Adele[/name_f] and [name_f]Violet[/name_f])
[name_f]Agnella[/name_f] (Italian version of [name_f]Agnes[/name_f]–it’s said ahn-YELL-ah in Italian. It seems like a nice blend of [name_f]Ella[/name_f] and something a bit more vintage, imo)
[name_f]Fiorella[/name_f] (“little flower” in Italian)
[name_f]Cosima[/name_f]
[name_f]Alba[/name_f]
[name_f]Alaia[/name_f]
Aurélie
[name_u]Ali[/name_u]énor
[name_f]Amapola[/name_f]
[name_f]Amparo[/name_f] (means “shelter”, I think? I remember finding the meaning delightful!)
[name_f]Anahi[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleni[/name_f]
[name_f]Mireya[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]-[name_f]Maja[/name_f] (said like [name_m]AH[/name_m]-nah-MY-ah; a Scandinavian form of [name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Maria[/name_f]/[name_f]Annemarie[/name_f]. I thought it was lovely.)
[name_f]Annabella[/name_f]
Annegret (an intriguing [name_m]German[/name_m] smoosh of [name_f]Anna[/name_f] and [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]. Not sure I’d use it but it does intrigue me!)
[name_f]Annika[/name_f]
[name_f]Anneli[/name_f] (Scandinavian form of [name_f]Anna[/name_f]. [name_m]AH[/name_m]-nah-lee, I think.)
[name_f]Anneliese[/name_f]
[name_f]Antonina[/name_f]
[name_f]Antonella[/name_f]
[name_f]Ariella[/name_f]
[name_f]Aurore[/name_f] ([name_m]French[/name_m] version of [name_f]Aurora[/name_f]. I’m not sure how well it’d do in the US, but I do love it a lot!)
[name_f]Ayala[/name_f] (Hebrew name that’s intriguing me right now!)
[name_f]Adara[/name_f] (means “noble” in Hebrew)
Beatriu (Catalan (I think! I can never remember if it’s Catalan or Basque, and the website that used to have info on it was taken down) version of [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]/[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]. Pronounced [name_f]Bee[/name_f]-ah-troo, which I think is just adorable!)
[name_f]Madelief[/name_f] (means “daisy” in Dutch. Almost rhymes with [name_f]Natalie[/name_f]; MAD-eh-leef)
Brynja (Icelandic name that I love! It’s said like [name_u]Brin[/name_u]-ya)
[name_f]Carolina[/name_f]
[name_f]Catalina[/name_f]
[name_f]Clementina[/name_f] (Spanish spelling, I think. [name_f]Klementyna[/name_f] is the Polish one.)
[name_f]Dagmar[/name_f]/[name_u]Dagny[/name_u]
[name_f]Eilidh[/name_f] (AYlee. Scottish form of [name_f]Helen[/name_f], which I adore! I wish it had greater use, but I don’t know that anyone would say it right…)
[name_f]Eliane[/name_f] (my beloved [name_m]French[/name_m] form of the more popular [name_f]Eliana[/name_f]!)
[name_f]Eliora[/name_f] (means “my God is my light” in Hebrew, which I think is just beautiful. I know an adorable [name_f]Eliora[/name_f] “[name_f]Ellie[/name_f]”, too, which is probably why I love it so much!)
[name_f]Elisabet[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliska[/name_f] (eh-LEESH-kah, a Czech form of [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. I adore it.)
[name_f]Eloisa[/name_f] (not sure which nationality it is–I guess it depends on accents. I’ve heard Spanish, Portuguese, and Italian, although the one Brazilian I knew with the name spelled it Heloiza (said the same).)
[name_f]Emilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Emmanuelle[/name_f]
Maximilienne
[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Fenella[/name_f]
[name_f]Fenna[/name_f] (Dutch name, I think. Meaning “peace”.)
[name_f]Adaya[/name_f]
Fiala (one of my favorite names from another culture right now–it means “violet” in Czech. I’ve heard it is a fairly common surname, but I love the idea of it on a girl, too. I remember seeing it listed as a girls’ name somewhere, too. I love it!)
[name_f]Fiammetta[/name_f] (means “little fire” in Italian, I think?)
[name_f]Florentina[/name_f]
[name_f]Gemma[/name_f]
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]/[name_f]Genoveva[/name_f]/[name_f]Genoveffa[/name_f] (depending on which nationality you prefer. [name_m]French[/name_m]/Spanish and Portuguese/Italian.)
[name_f]Giovanna[/name_f]
[name_f]Greta[/name_f]
[name_f]Helene[/name_f] (heh-[name_m]LAY[/name_m]-neh in Danish (and most Scandinavian languages); ay-[name_m]LEN[/name_m] in [name_m]French[/name_m])
[name_f]Indira[/name_f]
[name_f]Ingrid[/name_f]
[name_f]Astrid[/name_f]
[name_f]Kaja[/name_f]
[name_f]Katharina[/name_f]/[name_f]Caterina[/name_f] ([name_m]German[/name_m] and Italian spellings)
Laerke (LAIR-keh)
[name_f]Leonora[/name_f] (Italian, I think. I know [name_f]Eleonora[/name_f] is Italian, so I assume [name_f]Leonora[/name_f] is, as well?)
[name_f]Leocadia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lidia[/name_f] ([name_f]Lydia[/name_f]'s popular here, but [name_f]Lidia[/name_f] is the Polish/Italian/Spanish spelling, I think.)
[name_f]Liliane[/name_f]
[name_f]Livia[/name_f] (this is popular in [name_u]Brazil[/name_u], I hear?)
[name_f]Maddalena[/name_f] (Italian form of [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f]/[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]/[name_f]Madelyn[/name_f]. mad-eh-[name_m]LAY[/name_m]-nah. I love it!)
Malgorzata (mow-gor-zhaht-ah. I think. I love it because it’s so unusual. It’s the Polish form of [name_f]Margaret[/name_f].)
[name_f]Marine[/name_f] ([name_m]French[/name_m] name, a variant of [name_f]Marina[/name_f] I think. I don’t know how usable it is up front, but I love it for a MN, especially with another [name_m]French[/name_m] fn. Like [name_f]Anne[/name_f]-[name_f]Claire[/name_f] [name_f]Marine[/name_f].)
[name_f]Maxima[/name_f]
[name_f]Nadia[/name_f]
[name_f]Noemi[/name_f] (Spanish form of [name_f]Naomi[/name_f]. [name_m]French[/name_m] is Noémie.)
[name_f]Olalla[/name_f] (oh-LIE-ah. Spanish form of [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f], I’ve herad.)
[name_f]Odette[/name_f]
[name_f]Odalis[/name_f] (oh-dah-LEES)
[name_f]Odilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Odile[/name_f]
[name_f]Odelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ottilie[/name_f]
[name_f]Ondine[/name_f]
Pasqualina
[name_f]Petra[/name_f]
[name_f]Pia[/name_f]
[name_f]Pomeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Sabina[/name_f]
[name_f]Shoshana[/name_f] (Hebrew form of [name_f]Susan[/name_f]/[name_f]Susanna[/name_f])
[name_f]Sixtine[/name_f] (probably not too usable, but it’s pronounced more like [name_f]Sistine[/name_f] than Sixteen, and it means “scraped, polished”.)
Svala (Icelandic word for “swallow”. I hear it has use in Iceland as a name, and I think it makes a pretty one! Apparently I have a thing for -ala names–first [name_f]Ayala[/name_f], then Fiala, and now Svala!)
[name_f]Ursula[/name_f]
[name_f]Xanthe[/name_f]
Ysella
[name_f]Zara[/name_f]
[name_f]Zoe[/name_f]
[name_f]Zora[/name_f]

Good luck!

[name_f]Sabine[/name_f]
[name_f]Rajani[/name_f] (RAH jah nee)
[name_f]Alba[/name_f]
[name_f]Ciel[/name_f] (see-[name_f]EL[/name_f])
[name_f]Anthea[/name_f]
[name_f]Isabeau[/name_f]
[name_f]Mirabai[/name_f]
[name_f]Soleil[/name_f]
[name_f]Astrid[/name_f]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f]
[name_f]Oona[/name_f]
[name_f]Roksana[/name_f]
[name_f]Gaia[/name_f]
[name_m]Larsen[/name_m]
[name_f]Freya[/name_f]
[name_f]Cosima[/name_f]
[name_f]Paloma[/name_f]
[name_f]Evka[/name_f]
[name_f]Nasrin[/name_f]
[name_f]Cosette[/name_f]
[name_f]Suren[/name_f]
Madeleif
[name_f]Oceane[/name_f]
[name_f]Rowena[/name_f]

[name_f]Ayla[/name_f] and [name_f]Aylin[/name_f] from Turkey would be most obvious choices, and all of the names in my signature are Turkish as well. I saw Adalet in someone’s list but that’s name is just no, it is Arabic and mostly seen as an old name no one use anymore.

[name_f]Nadia[/name_f]
[name_f]Talia[/name_f]
[name_f]Nayeli[/name_f]
[name_f]Aisling[/name_f]
Naira
[name_f]Zaira[/name_f]
[name_f]Lisbet[/name_f]
Momoko
[name_f]Senna[/name_f]
[name_f]Liisi[/name_f]
[name_f]Freya[/name_f]
[name_f]Noa[/name_f]
[name_f]Tuva[/name_f]
[name_f]Sanne[/name_f]
[name_f]Thea[/name_f]
[name_f]Livia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lovisa[/name_f]
[name_f]Leia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ingrid[/name_f]
[name_f]Sigrid[/name_f]

[name_f]Anna[/name_f]-[name_f]Maja[/name_f] is so cute.
I’m fond of [name_f]Madelief[/name_f], my name’s [name_f]Daisy[/name_f], so I’m a bit biased.
I think Fiametta is lovely, very girly but quite strong. A little girl nn [name_f]Fia[/name_f] would be adorable.
There’s a very popular Mexican actress with the name [name_f]Livia[/name_f].
I’ve loved [name_f]Shoshanna[/name_f] And [name_f]Emmanuelle[/name_f] ever since [name_m]Quentin[/name_m] [name_m]Tarantino[/name_m]'s Inglourious Basterds.

Thank you all!

Oohh I’m Dutch and living in Spain so I’ll give you some suggestions from both countries (I’ve also lived in the Basque Country and am currently living in Catalonia so there’ll be some Catalan and Basque names mixed in, too).

Dutch (many of these are not actually Dutch in roots but rank highly on our list): [name_f]Fenna[/name_f], [name_f]Mila[/name_f], [name_f]Madelief[/name_f], [name_u]Isa[/name_u], [name_f]Fleur[/name_f], [name_f]Noor[/name_f], [name_f]Yara[/name_f], [name_f]Milou[/name_f]/[name_f]Malou[/name_f], [name_f]Anouk[/name_f], [name_f]Manon[/name_f], [name_f]Femke[/name_f]/[name_f]Famke[/name_f], [name_f]Sterre[/name_f], [name_f]Merel[/name_f], [name_f]Linde[/name_f], Mirre, [name_f]Mirthe[/name_f], [name_f]Veerle[/name_f], [name_f]Ilse[/name_f], [name_u]Cato[/name_u], [name_f]Lise[/name_f], [name_f]Liva[/name_f], [name_f]Lotte[/name_f], [name_f]Mara[/name_f], [name_u]Merle[/name_u], [name_f]Daphne[/name_f], [name_f]Silke[/name_f], Philou, [name_f]Janna[/name_f], Minthe, [name_f]Eline[/name_f], Phileine, Maartje, Vajen (not quite recommendable in the US…), Ninthe, Karlijn, [name_f]Yuna[/name_f]/[name_f]Juna[/name_f].

Spanish: [name_f]Lucia[/name_f], [name_f]Marta[/name_f], [name_f]Maria[/name_f], [name_f]Elena[/name_f], [name_f]Rosa[/name_f] (sooo oldfashioned here but I kind of love it), [name_f]Aurea[/name_f], [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], [name_f]Alba[/name_f], [name_f]Irene[/name_f], [name_f]Claudia[/name_f], [name_f]Noelia[/name_f], [name_f]Martina[/name_f], [name_f]Aitana[/name_f], [name_f]Natalia[/name_f], [name_f]Ines[/name_f], [name_u]Rocio[/name_u], [name_f]Celia[/name_f], [name_f]Carlota[/name_f], [name_f]Blanca[/name_f], [name_f]Isabel[/name_f], [name_f]Silvia[/name_f], [name_f]Lara[/name_f], [name_f]Alma[/name_f], [name_f]Luna[/name_f], [name_u]Vega[/name_u], [name_f]Valentina[/name_f], [name_f]Ariadna[/name_f], [name_f]Iria[/name_f] (actually Galician), [name_f]Lola[/name_f], [name_f]Noemi[/name_f].

Basque: [name_f]Nerea[/name_f], [name_f]Naiara[/name_f], Aiala, Iraia, [name_f]Leire[/name_f], [name_f]Maia[/name_f], Izadi, Ziara/Zihara, Elaia, [name_f]Ainara[/name_f], [name_f]Nahia[/name_f]/[name_f]Naia[/name_f], [name_f]Elene[/name_f]/[name_f]Helene[/name_f], [name_f]Ariane[/name_f]/[name_f]Arianne[/name_f], [name_f]Amaia[/name_f]/[name_f]Amaya[/name_f], Araia, [name_f]Alaia[/name_f], Olaia, [name_f]Izaro[/name_f], [name_u]June[/name_u], [name_f]Nekane[/name_f], [name_f]Arantxa[/name_f]/Arancha, Itxaso, Itziar/Iciar, [name_f]Nora[/name_f], Idoia, Maialen, Maddalen, Oihane, Oihana, Maite, Aizea, Saioa, Enara, Lorea, [name_f]Amara[/name_f], Julene, [name_f]Maren[/name_f], Zaloa, Aiora, [name_f]Katalin[/name_f], [name_f]Alaine[/name_f], Amalur (means ‘mother earth’, I love this name so much).

Catalan: [name_f]Mireia[/name_f], [name_f]Laia[/name_f], [name_f]Aina[/name_f], [name_f]Arlet[/name_f], [name_f]Nuria[/name_f], Adaia, [name_f]Berta[/name_f], [name_f]Ona[/name_f], [name_f]Jana[/name_f], [name_u]Elia[/name_u], [name_f]Bruna[/name_f], [name_f]Gala[/name_f], [name_f]Mia[/name_f], [name_f]Helena[/name_f], Isona, Sira, [name_f]Xenia[/name_f], [name_f]Gisela[/name_f], [name_f]Dalia[/name_f], [name_f]Delia[/name_f], [name_f]Ada[/name_f], [name_m]Ares[/name_m], [name_f]Estel[/name_f], Lluna.