Names from the Family Tree

My husband and I just recently found out that we’re pregnant with #1! As a self-confessed name geek, I’m thrilled at the prospect of naming our child, and it has spurred me on to look back at our family trees to discover any potential namesakes for this baby. We like classic names, and I love the old-lady-cool trend popular at the minute, so we were pleasantly surprised when we discovered these names on our family tree:

Girls:

[name]Martha[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Isabella[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Adelaide[/name]
[name]Jane[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Harriet[/name]

Boys:

[name]Alexander[/name]
[name]George[/name]
[name]Gabriel[/name]
[name]Hugh[/name]
[name]Daniel[/name]
[name]Isaiah[/name]
[name]Thomas[/name]

This baby has English, Irish, Scots and French descent and their surname will be Fairley. Does anyone have any suggestions from this list for 1st and middle names? We like [name]Flora[/name] [name]Jane[/name], [name]Martha[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name] and [name]Isaiah[/name] [name]Daniel[/name], but we’d love some suggestions!

Wow, what a great collection of names! I still regret not naming our oldest [name]Flora[/name], so that would be my number one choice. I like [name]Hugh[/name] for boys but I have a friend named [name]Hugh[/name] who says it presents all kinds of obvious problems. I think my top pick for a boy would be [name]Thomas[/name]: It’s been less stylish than [name]Daniel[/name] and some of the others but it has a nice solid-yet-soft sound and feel. [name]Flora[/name] and [name]Thomas[/name] are two of my absolute favorites!

I like [name]Flora[/name], but [name]Flora[/name] Fairley is very sing-songy and heavy on the ‘f’ sound - it sounds a little bit like a Dickens character rather than an actual person - if you really like it then I recommend using at as a middle name. I similarly wouldn’t use [name]Martha[/name] as a first name as [name]Martha[/name] Fairley runs the two ‘f’ sounds together, and may end up as Marfairley.

I like all of your other girls names, having to choose then I think [name]Eloise[/name], [name]Adelaide[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name] are my favourites. [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Flora[/name] or [name]Adelaide[/name] [name]Martha[/name] could work.

[name]Isaiah[/name] [name]Daniel[/name] is a great combination, though [name]Isaiah[/name] can be a little difficult to spell. I really like [name]Hugh[/name] from your list - it’s recognisable without being overly common.

Congratulations on your first pregnancy! :slight_smile: Looking at your family tree for names is such a neat idea.
I adore [name]Flora[/name], it’s such a beautiful name. Unfortunately, I’m not sure I like it with your last name, and I think it might sound better as a middle name.
With your last name, I love [name]Adelaide[/name]. What about [name]Adelaide[/name] [name]Flora[/name]?

I too love the name [name]Adelaide[/name] and the same goes for [name]Hugh[/name], although I like [name]Hugo[/name] more!

For middle names I would choose [name]Adelaide[/name] [name]Jane[/name] and [name]Hugh[/name] [name]Daniel[/name].

[name]Isabel[/name] [name]Flora[/name] is GORGEOUS.
I love all of your boy selections, but that girl combination has something spectacular and sparkling about it.

I agree. [name]Isabel[/name] [name]Flora[/name] sounds like a sparkling, regal [name]Princess[/name]! For a boy I love [name]Gabriel[/name] and [name]Isaiah[/name] with your last name. [name]Thomas[/name] is my favorite name right now-maybe you would like to use it for a middle name. But since I adore [name]Thomas[/name] I think it sounds great with your last name. [name]Hugh[/name] would make such a nice middle name.