Names I can't find...

Hello all,

Firstly I’d just like to say THANK YOU to everyone on this site. I’ve long been kinda ashamed to admit I’m a gigantic name lover. I wanted to pick out those baby name books and look through them all my life, but was more or less shot down by my family because of expenses…so I’ve been looking for a long time for a website that fulfills my love for names, and this one takes the cake! I’ve been made fun of by various people saying that I’m obsessed with having a huge family and that’s why I make lists of names all over things. I don’t want to HAVE all of these kids, I want to NAME all of them…why is that so hard for people to understand!!! But finally I’m here and I’m ready to talk about names with everyone.

Specifically, I’m here to talk about my love for Irish names. My family is extremely Irish and each one of us has an Anglicised Irish name, such as [name]Kathryn[/name] or [name]Maura[/name], names like that. I’ve grown to love Irish names, and growing up with a name like [name]Bridget[/name] I never really met a [name]Bridget[/name] other than myself and I loved that about my name.

Here’s the quandary I’m in…I want my future kids to have that same experience. The problem is those Irish names that aren’t extremely popular now are almost impossible to pronounce. I’ve found one girl’s name I absolutely love: [name]Mair[/name]”ad (pronounced Muh-raid). But other than that, I’m stuck. Same goes for boy’s names. My fianc”e has stuck with me and indulged in my naming fantasies, listening to me list off all kinds of names to him. He liked [name]Declan[/name], I don’t. He likes [name]John[/name], that’s too plain. And most names that I look at here are cool but don’t strike me as “loving it.” Also, my fianc”e’s last name (rhymes with [name]Kelly[/name]) conflicts with LOTS of names, making the prettiest name sound cumbersome.

So basically, I’ve looked and looked at names and now I’m stuck. So I’m enlisting the help of my new friends here at Nameberry. Help me guys, please!!!

• [name]Bridget[/name]

[name]Hi[/name]! [name]Welcome[/name] to the fun! :slight_smile: You’re definitely amongst friends. :slight_smile:

For what it’s worth, I think you should go with [name]Mairead[/name] if you love it! When I first started reading Irish names like [name]Saoirse[/name] and some of the others, I admit I felt like I needed to get Hooked on Phonics, but I quickly learned how to pronounce the given names when told. Yes, [name]Mairead[/name] (sorry for the lack of accents—my computer hates me) may have to explain the pronunciation of her name, but I’m guessing that people will catch on. I think it’s really pretty name!

I love the name [name]Bridget[/name], by the way! :slight_smile:

I’m guessing you’ve already seen these names, but here are some of my favorites:

[name]Beckett[/name] (oops…Lots of K with [name]Kelly[/name])
[name]Donovan[/name]
[name]Eamon[/name]
[name]Finnian[/name]
[name]Finbar[/name]
[name]Griffin[/name] (nn [name]Finn[/name])
[name]Gulliver[/name]
[name]Liam[/name]
[name]Phinean[/name]
[name]Quinlan[/name]
[name]Ronan[/name]
[name]Rowan[/name]
[name]Sullivan[/name]

[name]Aveline[/name] (I love [name]Aveline[/name] [name]Kelly[/name]!)
[name]Evaleen[/name]
[name]Finola[/name] (nn [name]Finn[/name] or [name]Nola[/name])
[name]Maeve[/name] (I love [name]Maeve[/name] so much!)
[name]Roisin[/name]
[name]Rosaleen[/name] ([name]Love[/name]…)
[name]Sorcha[/name]

(I left out the names with a lot of K sounds…)

A lot of posters here know a lot about Irish names, and I’m sure they’ll be along soon! :slight_smile:

Take care!

[name]Hi[/name], [name]Bridget[/name]! [name]Welcome[/name] to Nameberry!

My favorite Irish names - I love them.

Girls

[name]Aoife[/name]
[name]Brenna[/name]
[name]Keira[/name]
[name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Mairead[/name] is pretty!
[name]Oona[/name]
[name]Sorcha[/name]

Boys

[name]Cormac[/name]
[name]Declan[/name] - love it
[name]Finn[/name]
[name]Finnian[/name]
[name]Niall[/name]
[name]Ronan[/name]
[name]Sullivan[/name]

Names I liked from jill!!!

[name]Eamon[/name] (I had never heard of this one!!! [name]Love[/name] it!)
[name]Finnian[/name] (Like it, unfortunately a friend owns a dog named [name]Finnian[/name]. I’m willing to overcome it, especially for the [name]Finn[/name] nn)
[name]Liam[/name]…but, trendy :frowning:
[name]Ronan[/name]

[name]Finola[/name] (I like this!)
[name]Maeve[/name] (agreed, [name]Maeve[/name] is beautiful)

Thanks!!!

My favs from [name]Susan[/name] (disregarding repeats from jill)

[name]Aoife[/name]
[name]Oona[/name] (I actually have an aunt in [name]Ireland[/name] named [name]Una[/name])
[name]Niall[/name]

Thanks as well :-D!!!

[name]Hi[/name], [name]Bridget[/name]!

Not totally sure what [name]Jill[/name] and [name]Susan[/name] put on their lists, but let me see if I can come up with anything you might like!

GIRLS
[name]Bryna[/name]
[name]Caelan[/name]
[name]Deirdre[/name]
Eilley
Fiana
[name]Morna[/name]
[name]Orla[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name]
[name]Rosaleen[/name]
[name]Siobhan[/name]
[name]Sloane[/name]
[name]Teagan[/name]

BOYS
[name]Bowie[/name]
[name]Boyd[/name]
Cargan
[name]Ciaran[/name]
[name]Cormac[/name]
[name]Devlin[/name]
[name]Findlay[/name]
[name]Gavan[/name]
[name]Kellen[/name]
[name]Nevin[/name]
[name]Nolan[/name]
[name]Oscar[/name]
[name]Rafferty[/name]
[name]Seamus[/name]
[name]Sullivan[/name]
[name]Tiernan[/name]
[name]Tierney[/name]

Good luck! I love the name [name]Bridget[/name]!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

A kindred!!!

I have no real help to add, I just wanted to celebrate. lol.