Names I love but I'm too scared to used: Thoughts?

[name_f]Cersei[/name_f] - reminds people of [name_f]Cersei[/name_f] Lannister from Game of Thrones :frowning:
[name_u]Solstice[/name_u] - too out there? n
[name_f]Araminta[/name_f] - IDK how to feel?
[name_u]Raleigh[/name_u] - I like the sound RAY-LEE but it is pronounce: RAH-LEE like the city in [name_u]North[/name_u] [name_f]Carolina[/name_f]
[name_u]Collins[/name_u] - too out there for a girl?
[name_f]Eowyn[/name_f] - Associated with [name_m]Lord[/name_m] of the Rings Character
Lilivere - Too Different?
Maysilee - Associated with the Hunger Games
Qiā€™ra - Assoicated with [name_f]Star[/name_f] Wars
[name_f]Primrose[/name_f] - Associated with the Hunger Gamer
SynnĆøve - Nobody can pronounce correctly

[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_u]Collins[/name_u]! Iā€™d be hesitant with [name_f]Eowyn[/name_f] with how Elowyn/ [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] is in the rise!

2 Likes

Cersei - I do think of GOT, and I havenā€™t even watched it. Maybe youā€™d like Cerys?
Solstice - I donā€™t think itā€™s too out there, since it has the usable nickname Sol. But for something less unexpected, maybe Celeste?
Araminta - You didnā€™t really say what your problem was with Araminta. I think itā€™s lovely.
Raleigh - I wouldnā€™t do it if you pronounce it Ray-lee. Iā€™d go for a similar name like Rae, Raelle, Rachel or Riley.
Collins - Eh, not a fan of it on any gender, but I especially donā€™t love it on a girl if Iā€™m being honest. I prefer Colette or even Coleen.
Eowyn - I donā€™t think the LOTR association is a deal-breaker here. Iā€™ve watched LOTR but I barely remember the character, so unless the association is a horrible one, Iā€™d go for it. Of course thereā€™s also Arwen, Elowen and other similar names.
Lilivere - I think itā€™s really pretty, and the nicknames make it usable! I like it a lot
Maysilee - Iā€™ve read the Hunger Games three times and I donā€™t remember who that character is lol. That said, the spelling looks very messy to me. Iā€™d prefer just Maisie, Maisie-Lee, etc.
Qiā€™ra - Why not just spell it Kiera? Theyā€™d be pronounced the same, or pretty much the same
Primrose - I think of the flower before I think of the Hunger Games. Definitely usable
SynnĆøve - Iā€™m guessing itā€™s pronounced soo-no-va? Iā€™d go for Sunniva - similar sound but easier to pronounce. Maybe even Symre, which is a little challenging to pronounce but not as much

2 Likes

[name_f]Cersei[/name_f] - reminds people of [name_f]Cersei[/name_f] Lannister from Game of Thrones :frowning:

Spot on. Given not EVERYONE was/is a GoT fan, I think we all know who this is though and that impact does have the ability to outshine the wearer or lead to teasing so I get the pause. That said, there are some alternatives I think could work.

[name_u]Solstice[/name_u] - too out there?

A BIT, like a weeee bit out there. BUT I donā€™t think itā€™s so out there thatā€™s itā€™s not usable! nn [name_u]Sol[/name_u], too cute!

[name_f]Araminta[/name_f] - IDK how to feel?

Gives me strong [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] vibes, not a bad thing. The ā€œMINTā€ in the middle throws me off of it, for personal use, a bit not gonna lie but I donā€™t hate it. It is unusual but not unusable, great nn possibility as well

[name_u]Raleigh[/name_u] - I like the sound RAY-LEE but it is pronounce: RAH-LEE like the city in [name_u]North[/name_u] [name_f]Carolina[/name_f]

Yeah people that know [name_u]Raleigh[/name_u], NC will call her that, but this name is not out there at all in my opinion. maybe a diff spellingā€¦but honestly I think [name_u]Rae[/name_u] is fine alone

[name_u]Collins[/name_u] - too out there for a girl?

Not at all. 100% fine. no notes.

[name_f]Eowyn[/name_f] - Associated with [name_m]Lord[/name_m] of the Rings Character

[name_u]Strong[/name_u] association but again not everyone is a LOTR fan. It is unusual and the pronunciation may give her some issues (with other people) but I think this is a usable name. [name_f]Elowyn[/name_f], Aerowyn, you could play around with this name a bit

Lilivere - Too Different?

Very different but not TOO different. I donā€™t love the way it LOOKS but other than that this name is completely fine to me

Maysilee - Associated with the Hunger Games

I donā€™t remember this character. I donā€™t like the LOOK of this name, maybe a sleeker approach; [name_f]Maisley[/name_f], or [name_f]Maisey[/name_f]

Qiā€™ra - Assoicated with [name_f]Star[/name_f] Wars

[name_f]Pretty[/name_f] but can be spelled much better. [name_f]Kyra[/name_f], [name_f]Keira[/name_f], [name_f]Kiara[/name_f], [name_f]Kiera[/name_f].

[name_f]Primrose[/name_f] - Associated with the Hunger Gamer

Yeah the association here is strong but [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] isnā€™t a made name or some super far out celestial being itā€™s a flower. absolutely usable, without fear. no notes.

SynnĆøve - Nobody can pronounce correctly

If you are in the US you would be correct lol I had to look up how to pronounce it and what I heard didnā€™t sound like a name, I donā€™t know that this would translate nicely

[name_f]Primrose[/name_f] feels familiar enough that itā€™s not just associated with the Hunger Games!

[name_u]Collins[/name_u] is super cute and reminds me of other on trend surname names like [name_u]Avery[/name_u], [name_u]Harper[/name_u] and [name_u]Emerson[/name_u]

[name_f]My[/name_f] friend knew a Rayley before, pn as you like it?

Lilivere is unusual but has the familiar [name_f]Lili[/name_f] nn or sound. That said, it reminds me a tiny bit of liver

[name_f]Eowyn[/name_f] is pretty cute and while Iā€™ve never read LotR, i do know itā€™s from there. That said, itā€™s a pretty name and I have encountered one irl and seen one on Instagram

Maysilee has a nice sound but looks a bit awkward. [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] [name_u]Lee[/name_u]? [name_u]Or[/name_u] [name_f]Macy[/name_f] [name_u]Lee[/name_u]?

[name_u]Solstice[/name_u] has style and a hippyish vibe. It feels similar to [name_f]Sunshine[/name_f] and [name_u]Seren[/name_u] and Iā€™ve met one of each :slight_smile: [name_u]Solstice[/name_u] is cool

[name_f]Cersei[/name_f] has a cool sound but I prefer [name_f]Circe[/name_f]

[name_f]Araminta[/name_f] is very sparky and clunkily stylish but the mint sound puts me off for some reason

How is Qā€™ira said?

Some of these are too out there for my personal tastes but Iā€™ve known two little girls named [name_u]Collins[/name_u], [name_f]Eowyn[/name_f] is on my middle name list for my next daughter, and Iā€™ve known a little girl named [name_f]Rayleigh[/name_f] too. [name_f]My[/name_f] daughter goes by [name_u]Rue[/name_u] and Iā€™ve only had one person ask if we were hunger games fans :sweat_smile: so I wouldnā€™t worry too much about the hunger games associations! I think [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] is really pretty. I think [name_f]Kira[/name_f] is a more accessible spelling of Qiā€™ra.

[name_f]Circe[/name_f] is a real alternative to [name_f]Cersei[/name_f] to consider!
[name_f]Eowyn[/name_f] and [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] are pretty associated with the characters, but not too much Iā€™d say, they exist as names outside of the respective fictional universes too.
I didnā€™t know Maysilee is from Hunger Games so maybe others wonā€™t make the connection either.
Lilivere is really cute! Donā€™t know if that helps.
I think most people would say [name_u]Raleigh[/name_u] as RAY-lee or RAY-ley so that pronunciation should be easy to get, but RAH-lee shouldnā€™t be impossible to enforce either. I just find it annoying how many different spellings there are.

[name_f]Cersei[/name_f] - It too reminds people of [name_f]Cersei[/name_f] Lannister
[name_u]Solstice[/name_u] - looks beautiful but a little too out there
[name_f]Araminta[/name_f] - a bit too much IMO
[name_u]Raleigh[/name_u] - pronounciation would depend on where you are
[name_u]Collins[/name_u] - I know a little girl [name_u]Collins[/name_u] and itā€™s absolutely adorable for a little girl
[name_f]Eowyn[/name_f] - pretty name
Lilivere - a bit different
Maysilee - not a fan of the spelling but I love the name
Qiā€™ra - I personally dont like apostrophes in names
[name_f]Primrose[/name_f] - very pretty name
SynnĆøve - looks cool but TBH I have no idea how to pronounce it

I like Lilivere (but would need to know more about it), and I think [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] is pretty much mainstream now because of Hunger Games (but not so tied that itā€™s unusable?) and really lovely, but Iā€™m not a huge fan of the others, sorry!

Good luck!

I really like Lilivere a lot. I would also use [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] without a second thought.

Have you considered [name_f]Circe[/name_f]? Itā€™s from Greek mythology. I may be wrong, but I believe the [name_f]Cersei[/name_f] spelling was invented by [name_u]George[/name_u] RR [name_m]Martin[/name_m] so it is very tied to GoT. Iā€™ve never come across the name [name_f]Cersei[/name_f] outside of a GoT context. So to me it does seem directly inspired by the character.

I think most of these names are fine and usable, though not to my personal taste. I wouldnā€™t recommend SynnĆøve in an English-speaking country. I would suggest [name_f]Kira[/name_f] or [name_f]Keira[/name_f] instead of Qiā€™ra because that spelling is very awkward. And [name_f]Rayleigh[/name_f] instead of [name_u]Raleigh[/name_u].