Names I’m on the fence about

[name_m]Just[/name_m] wanted to put a few names to the berries that I’m very much on the fence about, and find out your thoughts.

Names not currently on my list I’m thinking about -

[name_f]Blossom[/name_f] - This used to be on my list, and in fact was a favourite for baby once. It’s quite out of character for me in its cutesyness, which makes me wonder if I should pay attention to the fact that I like it. Name for pet bunny only?

[name_f]Bronagh[/name_f] - ok, I lied - this is just on my list, I adore the sound and look of this name. It’s literally only the meaning - sorrow - which puts me off.

[name_f]Celeste[/name_f] / [name_f]Celestine[/name_f] - I should *adore the celestial meaning, but something is just a little off. Could probs get on board with [name_f]Celestine[/name_f] more than [name_f]Celeste[/name_f].

[name_f]Eudora[/name_f] - I love clunk so should love this, but not sure. [name_u]Love[/name_u] the Eu- start, but I’m funny with [name_f]Dora[/name_f] endings (don’t like [name_f]Dora[/name_f] on it’s own).

[name_f]Eugenie[/name_f] - love sound and look, but eugenics.

Everild(a) - want to love this - should be right up my street. Not sure if I’m quite there yet. Ev- prefixes have me in two minds - because they remind me of [name_f]Eve[/name_f] (my fave),but they aren’t [name_f]Eve[/name_f], and they kind of lose what I love about it.

[name_f]Gloria[/name_f] - I love the cheesy retro glamour of this. I want to love, but again, not sure.

[name_f]Grizelda[/name_f] - hear me out :joy:. I love clunk, and it would seem I have a fondness for a Gr- start. But I have to admit that [name_f]Grizel[/name_f] sound is unattractive. Yet I keep stealing looks.

[name_f]Mary[/name_f] - this is not currently on my list but has been. Have a bit of a push-pull thing with this. It’s also a special meaning name for me.

[name_f]Petra[/name_f] - Again, want to love, but there’s something I can’t quite put my finger on.

Rhodanthe - merges a prefix and suffix I love, so theoretically this should be my fave -anthe name - but too botanical?

[name_f]Sybilla[/name_f] - I keep coming back to this as I love the feel, but something about it bugs me - I think its because it contains both a y and and i functioning with the same sound, which upsets my brain.

[name_f]Theodora[/name_f] - This is a [name_f]Dora[/name_f] name I could love, but something holding me back. [name_f]May[/name_f] be something to do with the popularity of Theo(dore) and [name_f]Thea[/name_f], neither of which I like.

I’m gonna make a separate post re names currently on my list I’m considering losing. Thanks for reading!

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

Here are my thoughts-

Blossom-I think that it’s better for a bunny. :wink: :rabbit: It’s weird, because I love [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] & am okay w/other cutesy floral names, but [name_f]Blossom[/name_f] just doesn’t do it for me.

Bronagh-I like this in theory, because it’s interesting & Gaelic. But I don’t care for the sound & I think that pronunciation & spelling would be a headache.

Celeste/Celestine-I prefer [name_f]Celeste[/name_f], because it feels sleek & romantic. [name_f]Celestine[/name_f] is more unique, but it feels a little snobby for some reason.

Eudora-I like it. It’s smart & fancy & interesting. You could always do the nn [name_f]Edie[/name_f] too.

Eugenie-Haha…I never thought of teh eugenics thing. That does seems like a turnoff…

Everlid(a)-I’m not sure about this one. I’ve never heard of it, & not sure that I like the way it looks or sounds.

Gloria-I’m a fan of [name_f]Gloria[/name_f]. It does have fun retro vibes. It’s simple & friendly & not over done.

Grizelda-Yeah…this reminds me too much of grizzly bear.

Mary-It’s nice. I go back & fourth on liking it too. Kind of one of those names that I feel meh about, but if I met a little girl named [name_f]Mary[/name_f] I’d be excited. I love the idea of [name_f]Mary[/name_f] nn [name_f]Molly[/name_f] or [name_f]Maisy[/name_f].

Petra-It’s okay. Should be my style; I love [name_f]Greta[/name_f] & [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] & similar names. But it sounds off.

Rhodanthe-I don’t know if it’s too botanical; it just feels too clunky.

Sybilla-It does sound weird when said out loud. Kind of like a disease. I’d prefer just [name_f]Sibyl[/name_f].

Theodora-It’s lovely. [name_u]Strong[/name_u] & bold yet feminine. If you don’t like [name_f]Thea[/name_f], maybe not a good idea. You could do the nn [name_u]Teddy[/name_u], but Theodore/Theo/Teddy is awfully popular for boys.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

[name_f]Blossom[/name_f] would be adorable in the middle spot.

I like [name_f]Celeste[/name_f], but love [name_f]Celestine[/name_f].

I like [name_f]Petra[/name_f] but there’s also something about it that I can’t put my finger on :thinking: I also used to really like [name_f]Peta[/name_f] for a girl until I realised it’s the same spelling as the NGO.

[name_f]Theodora[/name_f] is wonderful and I love the nickname [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] for a girl :blush:

1 Like

Everild(a) sounds really pretty and unique to me. The only name here I’m not sure about is [name_f]Grizelda[/name_f], but that’s just my opinion.

1 Like

Blossom - i do quite like it, but it is a bit too flowery and cutesy for me. Maybe as a middle or a nickname?

Bronagh - one of my favourite names (Tristan) means sorrow too, but i decided a) i like the sound and vibe enough to keep it b) not many people will actually know the meaning c) i can always balance it out with a cheery middle

Celeste / Celestine - i get what you mean about something just holding you back on the name. I personally prefer the warmth of Celeste and if I was going for a longer variant, I’d pick Celestina over Celestine

Eudora - pretty cute and clunky. I like it but it doesn’t seem to be right for you

Eugenie - yeah, it reminds me of eugenics too much

Everild(a) - I don’t love it and it doesn’t seem like you do either

Gloria - it’s grown on me and has a cool, singsong vibe but I’m not in love with it

Grizelda - yeah, a bit grizly for me

Mary - it’s grown on me (thanks BBC Ghosts for consuming my whole brain), and I quite like the classic, solid feel. I’ve met two little Marys, both who pulled it off well

Petra - pretty sharp and distinctive. Not a big love of mine but I appreciate it

Rhodanthe - it does feel more plant than name to me

Sybilla - I prefer Sibyl if I’m honest and if the sp bothers you, I wouldn’t add it

Theodora - I do enjoy Theodora but i feel like with the popularity of Theodore, is might get misheard as that?not a huge deal, just something to bear in mind

1 Like

The only one that really threw me for a loop was Grizelda…. Literally all I could hear is [name_m]Grizzly[/name_m].

1 Like

[name_f]Blossom[/name_f] - [name_f]Precious[/name_f]! If I were going to use it for a person I would only use it in the middle spot. I’m not sure what it is about it that puts me off of it in the first. But it rhymes with awesome and i think that’s cool lol

[name_f]Bronagh[/name_f] - yeah the meaning is enouh to put me off too. The bright side though, most people don’t know or care the meaning of peoples names, so if OTHER peoples opinions are the ones you’re concerned about I don’t think it’d be a huge issue, I would worry more about people pronouncing it honestly (also…how is it prponounced? lol)

[name_f]Celeste[/name_f] / [name_f]Celestine[/name_f] - Its got that old world Italian feel to me. I prefer [name_f]Celeste[/name_f], it feels more wearable.

[name_f]Eudora[/name_f] - I have been loving the Eu- names lately too! (I see your [name_f]Eudora[/name_f] and raise you a Eulea: you-lay-uh) I agree about [name_f]Dora[/name_f], but it doesn’t take away from the name at all I think it very pretty. (alts. Eulora, Euphora, Euvora, Eulara)

[name_f]Eugenie[/name_f] - I don’t even think of eugenics when I hear this one, I hear [name_u]Genie[/name_u] which makes me think of I [name_u]Dream[/name_u] of [name_u]Genie[/name_u] which I love!

Everild(a) - I don’t love this one, maybe a diff spelling. Evrilda, Avrilda…hmmm idk I’m just not a huge fan

[name_f]Gloria[/name_f] - I like her but I prefer [name_f]Glory[/name_f] these days.

[name_f]Grizelda[/name_f] - Yeah the grizzly beginning is nms but [name_f]Griselda[/name_f] with a slightly rolled ‘r’ I could get with!

[name_f]Mary[/name_f] - What’s not to love, classic and lots of spelling options (I love options lol) [name_f]Meri[/name_f], [name_u]Merry[/name_u] are also cute <3

[name_f]Petra[/name_f] - she’s a little mater-of-fact feeling. [name_f]Petra[/name_f] is no nonsense

Rhodanthe - [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] Sparks kinda ruined this one for me lol

[name_f]Sybilla[/name_f] - Never seen this one before, I don’t love it…reminds me of syllabus

[name_f]Theodora[/name_f] - These [name_u]Theo[/name_u]- names are popular but who cares, a girl [name_u]Teddy[/name_u]? swoon!

1 Like

Sorry I’m back. If you’re on the fence about [name_f]Blossom[/name_f] I’d maybe suggest consider Bloem (pronounced like “bloom”). If you do a search on NB this should turn up…. Someone was on many months ago trying to decide between [name_f]Blossom[/name_f] and Bloem and settled on Bloem. Might have the same effect as [name_f]Blossom[/name_f] without all the cutesiness

1 Like

[name_f]Blossom[/name_f]— it’s a little too “cutesy” for my taste, sadly, though I love the imagery that comes with. I immediately think of the Powerpuff Girls which isn’t a bad association, but doesn’t help the “cutesy” image. Agreed that it would be a spectacular bunny name though!

[name_f]Bronagh[/name_f]— I have a distant relative with this name (she happens to live in [name_u]Ireland[/name_u] though), and I really like it. There’d for sure be spelling issues if you live in the US like I do, and maybe [name_f]Brona[/name_f] or [name_f]Bruna[/name_f] is a good compromise if you’re worried about that? I think it’s a lovely name though either way.

[name_f]Celeste[/name_f] / [name_f]Celestine[/name_f]— I think both are lovely but also [name_f]Celeste[/name_f] (which I prefer of the two) reminds me a little of Crest, like the brand of toothpaste, which is off putting to me? I think that’s just me though. If something feels a little off about these names to you though I’d say they’re not the one. Maybe you’d like [name_f]Celestina[/name_f] more?

[name_f]Eudora[/name_f]— This one isn’t for me, sorry! I do like [name_f]Eulalie[/name_f] and [name_f]Isadora[/name_f] which are similar. Maybe you’d like those if [name_f]Eudora[/name_f] isn’t doing it for you?

[name_f]Eugenie[/name_f]— I like this one too, but yeah, the Eugenics thing is a bit much. [name_f]Eugenia[/name_f] seems a little better on that front to me for some reason, or again maybe the similar [name_f]Eulalie[/name_f] is a good alternative here?

Everild(a)— These are new to me, but my first instinct is that they’d be a lot to carry. That’s not necessarily a bad thing though!

[name_f]Gloria[/name_f]— I have been gradually starting to love this name. It feels properly vintage without being overdone or (to me) overly clunky (not that clunky is a bad thing! It’s just not usually my own style). I hear you though, something I can’t put my finger on prevents me from fully loving this one too.

[name_f]Grizelda[/name_f]— this one is all [name_f]Cinderella[/name_f] Evil Stepsister to me, I’m afraid. It’s a super fun sound though and I totally get the appeal!

[name_f]Mary[/name_f]— I am quite fond of this name too and it’s a family name for me. I think it gets overlooked a lot these days because it was the most popular name in many countries for a long time, but to me that makes it timeless. Plus, the variety of available nicknames is a huge selling point!

[name_f]Petra[/name_f]— this is another one I keep coming back to as well but can’t find myself able to make a decision about! I think of the ancient city of [name_f]Petra[/name_f] and Biblical stuff, which gives the name a big historical feels to me like [name_f]Livia[/name_f] or [name_m]Hadrian[/name_m].

Rhodanthe— This does feel very botanical to me as well. I’m fond of [name_f]Rhoda[/name_f] and tend to love botanical names, but this one feels a little too scientifically botanical (if that makes sense) to work for me personally, I’m afraid.

[name_f]Sybilla[/name_f]— [name_f]My[/name_f] only issue with this one is that my brain keeps wanting to read it as [name_f]Sibella[/name_f], which is a name I’m fond of, [name_f]Sybille[/name_f], which is nice, or for some reason [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f], which I also like.

[name_f]Theodora[/name_f]— As someone who is currently lukewarm on [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] and [name_f]Thea[/name_f] but used to adore both, [name_f]Theodora[/name_f] has never done it for me either. [name_f]Theodosia[/name_f] could be an alternative if you’re looking for something similar without the -dora ending?

1 Like

Thankyou for your detailed and thoughtful responses! After much consideration, I’ve decided I just can’t let [name_f]Bronagh[/name_f] go at the moment so I’m keeping her around. I’m also adding [name_f]Celestine[/name_f], for the sparkly vibe. The rest are staying firmly off the list at present as just too iffy. Thankyou once more for your help :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

:joy: I get that :see_no_evil:

@MichelleM i hear you re [name_f]Petra[/name_f]. [name_f]Greta[/name_f] and [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] are also on my list! And absolutely re [name_f]Mary[/name_f].

@freddiethepink i think I’m coming to love [name_f]Celestine[/name_f] too. It’s been added :sparkles:

@Lightingale I absolutely understand why that’s the most contentious one. I wouldn’t actually use it, so ultimately it’s not made the cut.

@Greyblue thankyou for your input, your take on [name_f]Bronagh[/name_f] and the overarching idea of names with a not-so-great meaning was valuable. I think ultimately it would be enough (for me) not to use it as a first. It may not necessarily be common knowledge to many people, but if a daughter transpired to be anything like me (i.e name nerd as soon as literate), she would enjoy researching such things. I would’ve hated to find out my name meant something negative / unpleasant. I wouldn’t rule out as a middle though, hence why I’ve kept it on my list. In that position the meaning is less important, and could be passed off in a cool / dark / poetic way.

@Byan-kuh [name_f]Bronagh[/name_f] is Broh-na. I’ve always liked it, though it’s never been particularly fashionable where I’m from. I get you re [name_f]Petra[/name_f] - it’s a little cold sounding.

@itsjustjack Thankyou. I agree that [name_f]Blossom[/name_f] is perhaps a tad too cutesy, though I think it would be fun in the middle position. Spelling / pronunciation of [name_f]Bronagh[/name_f] wouldn’t be a worry where I’m from - big Irish Catholic contingent. [name_f]Eulalie[/name_f] and [name_f]Isadora[/name_f] were both on my list - though only [name_f]Eulalie[/name_f] remains on it following a clear out. I’m also fond of [name_f]Rhoda[/name_f] which is on my list, so I’m keeping Rhodanthe off for now.

3 Likes