Names I never liked before

[name]Quinn[/name] and [name]Ava[/name]! As of about 2 days ago I’ve been in love with both of these names. I think it’s just boredom and frustration with not being able to pick a favorite out of my favorites.

Also, I used to [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Amelia[/name], and now I’m super tired of it.

I’m writing a paper right now that’s supposed to be fact, but I made up a niece, and I’m calling her [name]Quinn[/name].

I have a niece named [name]Ava[/name] and a nephew named [name]Quinn[/name]. They are brother and sister. My oldest daughter was almost going to be [name]Quinn[/name], whether she had been a boy or a girl.

Oh how I love [name]Ava[/name] but it is just so popular. Our daughter was to be [name]Ava[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] but I can’t/couldn’t stomach the popularity.

[name]Ava[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] is gorgeous, too bad both names are so popular.

[name]How[/name] funny you have a niece and nephew [name]Ava[/name] and [name]Quinn[/name]… I think I would assume [name]Quinn[/name] was a girl in that instance. And there’s my main problem with [name]Quinn[/name], you never can tell. But it seems like girls named [name]Quinn[/name] are always beautiful, really sweet, and super smart. That’s my experience, anyway.

I’ve actually never met an [name]Ava[/name]. I’ve never even known of one in real life. Maybe it’s not so popular in my area. I did know a little boy named [name]Darren[/name], and when his mom was pregnant he was so sure it was a girl and he was going to name her [name]Ava[/name]. The mother didn’t like the name, but she was double teamed by [name]Darren[/name], Sr. and [name]Darren[/name], [name]Jr[/name]. She ended up liking it, but the baby was a boy… they named him [name]Ryan[/name].

I’m all over the place tonight, sorry guys. It’s because I’m doing homework, haha.

What do you all think of Zinna as a name? I also like [name]Zinnia[/name]. Zinna was my absolute favorite name in high school and I just remembered it.

[name]Quinn[/name] is really cute and spunky!

So, [name]Lyndsay[/name], I’ve been trying hard to figure out what might be a name that matches [name]Dash[/name]'s name, and, for some reason, [name]Simone[/name] [name]Sarah[/name] [name]June[/name] came into my head just now…

[name]Simone[/name] [name]Sarah[/name] [name]June[/name]… I love the alliteration and the rhythm of this! And I really love [name]June[/name]. [name]Simone[/name] reminds me a lot of [name]Raven[/name], and I think it’s the name of a not so nice character in some movie I saw. [name]Simone[/name] sounds a little snobby to me. [name]Sarah[/name] is pretty but I have somewhat of a bad association with it. Plus, I know I’ll never be able to bring myself to not use family names in the middle. I definitely could see [name]Dashiell[/name] and [name]Simone[/name] as siblings though! I’m still loving [name]Clara[/name] [name]Bellamy[/name] [name]June[/name], so precious! [name]Clarabelle[/name] would be very fun to say every day!

What do you think of the name [name]Rita[/name]? I think it’s spunky! I had a very glamorous great-aunt-[name]Rita[/name], she was some kind of lady! I don’t think I’d ever use [name]Rita[/name] in the first spot, but I’d consider it in the middle. I don’t know why it isn’t more talked about, it’s pretty fun.

I prefer [name]Clara[/name] [name]Bellamy[/name] [name]June[/name], too, to be honest! [name]Clarabelle[/name] is so adorable. I don’t often suggest names I don’t personally care for, but my mother often tells me she wanted to name me [name]Maggie[/name] [name]Simone[/name] - and I’m so glad she didn’t, as I have terrible connections to the name [name]Simone[/name]! It just seemed to match [name]Dashiell[/name], though…

Oh, [name]Rita[/name]. Well, [name]Rita[/name] sounds like the name of someone’s Great Aunt, to be honest with you! I’m not the biggest fan, personally, and it sounds a little dated and slightly harsh to me. Sorry! Something that sounds and looks similar but appears “sweeter” to me is [name]Ramona[/name]…

Out of curiosity, what are your family names you’d like to use?

Take care, [name]Lyndsay[/name]!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I know what you mean about [name]Rita[/name], for sure. It does seem to fit in with a lot of the other vintage names that are getting some recognition. If [name]Ruth[/name], why not [name]Rita[/name]?

Family names? Here’s a sampling, the more stars, the more important the person is to me:
***[name]Katherine[/name] [name]Ann[/name] nn [name]Kitty[/name] - mom
***[name]Ann[/name] [name]Rose[/name] nn [name]May[/name] [name]Ann[/name], birth certificate name [name]Annette[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] [name]Rose[/name], baptismal name [name]Anna[/name] [name]Rose[/name]! (She’s got a lot of names!) - my grandma
***[name]Lucretia[/name] [name]Elaine[/name] nn Creety -his mom. Though she hates her first name, and [name]Elaine[/name] has already been used on another granddaughter.
***[name]Ruth[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] - His grandma ([name]Elizabeth[/name] is probably my favorite name of all time)
**Lulette [name]Frost[/name] Jenness - my great-grandma
** [name]Cecilia[/name] - my other great-grandmother
** [name]Mary[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] - his other grandma, his mom’s mom, this might be a way to get around using his mom’s name, but sort of honoring her.
*** [name]Joy[/name] nee [name]Carol[/name] [name]Jean[/name] - my grandma’s baby who died a couple hours after she was born. This is a special one. I’d want to use [name]Joy[/name], because that’s what she’s always been referred to as. Though maybe I’d use something that means [name]Joy[/name], because my grandma is very sensitive about it still and she might not like to have to hear [name]Joy[/name].
[name]Eleanor[/name] - because one of my ancestors is [name]Eleanor[/name] of [name]Aquitaine[/name], who was the first person to have the name. I think that’d be fun.
Jenness- my middle name (a family name). It’s always been my favorite part of my name, so I’d sort of like to pass it along.
[name]Taylor[/name]- my maiden name, but it’s off the table because 1) it doesn’t sound good with my last name, [name]Becker[/name] 2) it’s so trendy and icky anywhere but the last name spot. I’d sort of like to find a nice variation. I kind of like [name]Taye[/name] as a middle for a boy.

More distant, but kind of cool: [name]Cordelia[/name], [name]Celestia[/name], [name]Adeline[/name], [name]Sage[/name], [name]Lydia[/name], [name]Merlin[/name] (I like that for a girl!), [name]Constant[/name], Desire, [name]Hope[/name], Argotta, Blithilde, Gisle, Kunza, Williswinde, [name]Mathilde[/name], Tilley**, [name]Bellamy[/name] (oh my, I just found that!), [name]Bliss[/name], [name]Experience[/name], [name]Ziza[/name], Waite, Darling… ok, the list goes on, I’m stopping myself. I like the idea of using one of the more unusual, obscure family name from long ago. Especially in the middle, I think something like [name]Bliss[/name] or Darling could be really sweet in the middle if they found the right combo.

Sheesh, this is just girls! You asked for it, haha!

I don’t go for most of the old names that have come back ([name]Matilda[/name]? Really?), but I don’t mind [name]Rita[/name] at all. It doesn’t say “old lady” to me; my problem is that it doesn’t feel distinctive enough.

I have discovered a LOT of interesting names in the past month or two, but most are just that - names I didn’t know existed or had never considered before. I expect you’re looking for names I did know of but had disliked or ignored.

My major acquired tastes came before that time. And now I’m realizing that some of my assumed pronunciations are wrong. A few years back, I thought “I didn’t use to like [name]Audrey[/name], but I could grow to like it.” I say it Aw-dray. Apparently, this is wrong, and the accepted pronunciations are long O-dree (British?) or Aw-dree (American?). I’ve heard someone say Aw-dray is Canadian. Is any of this right? Anyway, the reason I liked it was that it was interestingly different from the [name]Shirley[/name]/[name]Ashley[/name]/[name]Britney[/name] crop, because its ey was said differently! It’s just boring with E.

I used to consider [name]Tabitha[/name] as old and ugly as [name]Matilda[/name]. Now, you know how some names just need context? Like how (mentioned this before) if I saw a [name]Robin[/name] on a list of births, I’d think it was a girl, but when I see [name]Robin[/name] [name]Williams[/name], I don’t even think “That’s a feminine-sounding name.” Anyway, I found this [name]Tabitha[/name]:
http://www.mangago.com/mangago/zero_no_tsukaima/v02/c010/16.aspx
http://www.seekmanga.com/manga/Zero_no_Tsukaima_Gaiden_-_Tabasa_no_Bouken/847123.html
http://www.seekmanga.com/manga/Zero_no_Tsukaima_Gaiden_-_Tabasa_no_Bouken/847124.html
“Cutest character in the history of ever”, to use a quote meant for someone else. Her name in the Japanese version is Tabasu, I think - don’t know if [name]Tabitha[/name] is an English speaker’s attempt to come up with something close, or if Tabasu is how a Japanese speaker would spell [name]Tabitha[/name]. I thought that even this name could be redeemed…
and then I learned that the stress is on the first syllable, not the second as I had assumed. The name is as awkward as I had always assumed.

Actually, now that I think about it, some recent acquired tastes:

I’ve now realized I really like many androgynous-sounding last names as girls’ first names - [name]Mallory[/name] and [name]Tiernan[/name]/[name]Tierney[/name] are my favorite. Of course, millions of other people did first. I had to get used to this sort of name to realize they were actually good.

One I first heard of on this board: [name]Sailor[/name]. I’d recently caught on to cute, fun, boyish-sounding names like [name]Piper[/name], but when I first saw this, I didn’t like it. I couldn’t help but think of [name]Sailor[/name] [name]Moon[/name]. In a matter of weeks - no, it wasn’t even that long - I realized it was actually quite charming as a middle name. [name]Sailor[/name] _ still sounds silly.