Names I think are great but can't bring myself to use...

Some of these I wish I was brave enough to name a child one day (but I’m not), others I love but just don’t fit my style. And then there are my guilty pleasures…

[name]Agatha[/name]: I’m ready for it, not sure about the rest of the world. [name]Agatha[/name] [name]Christie[/name] is such a cool namesake.
[name]Alfie[/name]: This is really cute, but I feel like it would be hard to take an “[name]Alfie[/name]” seriously.
[name]Anselm[/name]: I just can’t do it.
[name]Archie[/name]: Soooo 1950s. That’s why I love it. That’s part of why it won’t work.
[name]Augustine[/name]: [name]Saint[/name] [name]Augustine[/name] is one of my heroes, but I can’t help but feel this is too much for a child. I may have to shorten it to [name]Gus[/name] and stick it in the second or third name slot.
[name]Avery[/name]: Meaning, check. Sound, check. But I’m not too into unisex names for the most part.
[name]Axel[/name]: [name]LOVE[/name] the meaning, “father of peace,” but it can’t escape the image of a wannabe rocker.
[name]Baxter[/name]: Great sound, great feel. Too bad it’s ultimately meaningless. If only I had an association that would give me an excuse to use it.
[name]Caroline[/name]: Everyone would say “lyn” instead of “line.” Sorry, [name]Neil[/name] [name]Diamond[/name].
[name]Casey[/name]: At the bat. I love it, but it doesn’t fit it with my “Absolutely must use” list.
[name]Chester[/name]: Either he’d be really cool or doomed to never be.
[name]Clementine[/name]: The jury’s still out on whether I can actually get away with this one in real life.
[name]Digby[/name]: Purely based on the wonderful, British sound of it. [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name], here he comes.
[name]Ebeneezer[/name]: Be nice. I have eclectic tastes. Anyway, the Biblical reference is powerful and it’s definitely fun to say. But I think this is one that has forever fallen by the wayside.
[name]Eleazar[/name]: Great name, but maybe just a tad too Old Testament. Oddly though, I don’t feel the same way about [name]Obadiah[/name] and [name]Phineas[/name], which I’m so using.
[name]Ella[/name]: Graceful but strong. Too bad it’s overused.
[name]Enoch[/name]: Handsome but ultimately too serious. [name]Ezra[/name] has more flair.
[name]Eulalie[/name]/[name]Eulalia[/name]: ACTUALLY, I might not be brave enough to make this a first name, but it has a REALLY good chance in the middle.
[name]Finn[/name]: It’d be downright strange for me to use something so Irish when I’m not even close.
[name]Galilee[/name]: I wish I could name a girl this. It’s feminine, quirky and full of associations.
[name]Hephzibah[/name]: I know. I know. You can’t do that to your daughter. But it means, “my delight is in her!” Too sweet! Not to mention, if you let it roll off your tongue a few times it grows on you. Go on. [name]Say[/name] it three times.
[name]Huck[/name]: I love [name]Mark[/name] [name]Twain[/name], but how could I look my son in the eye when he went to apply for college?
[name]Jedidiah[/name]: My own personal [name]Jedi[/name] [name]Knight[/name].
[name]Jericho[/name]: This sounds like it should be the name of a hard-boiled detective in a film noir. [name]Jericho[/name] [name]Jones[/name], etc. But I’m awfully tempted…
[name]Jethro[/name]: Why, oh why, does this have to have “hick” written all over it?
[name]Lillian[/name]: Beautiful, but just a tad too stuffy. This falls under the category of, “I’d love to see it on someone else’s child.”
[name]Lincoln[/name]: Another one I love to see but don’t know if I’ll use. Mostly because it doesn’t fit the style of my absolute favorites.
[name]Margery[/name]: I personally don’t think of margarine, but sadly, other people do. Frankly, I think this classic should be brought back into use.
[name]Marian[/name]: Ditto.
[name]Marilla[/name]: An [name]Anne[/name] of [name]Green[/name] Gables favorite. But maybe shortened to [name]Rilla[/name]?
[name]Maxine[/name]: I want to love it, but then a red-nailed Madame comes to mind.
[name]Mickey[/name]: Why state the obvious? Too bad. I love it’s retro feel.
[name]Ottilie[/name]: Same as [name]Eulalie[/name].
[name]Quinn[/name]: The Mighty [name]Quinn[/name]. Once again, too Irish.
[name]Sawyer[/name]: Another tribute to [name]Mark[/name] [name]Twain[/name]. But what with the show Lost and the trendy feel of it, it’s probably off the first name list.
[name]Shiloh[/name]: I [name]LOVE[/name] this name! But [name]Angeline[/name], bless her heart, may have taken it off the market. We’ll have to see.
[name]Tallulah[/name]: I love the attitude. The whimsy. But unless my daughter’s going to be a famous thespian, it might be more of a pain than it’s worth. If I move to [name]England[/name], however…
[name]Tess[/name]: [name]Lovely[/name], simple. It’s just missing some umph. Another one I’d love to see used but probably won’t myself.
[name]Wesley[/name]: I think of [name]John[/name] [name]Wesley[/name] which makes me happy. However, I can’t get the image of a spoiled, rich bully out of my head.
[name]Wylie[/name]: Coyote. [name]Even[/name] though it’s so much more fun than [name]William[/name].

I’d put [name]Jemima[/name] on the list, but dang it, I love it. And God help me, I’ll use it. That syrup can go stuff itself.

[name]Agatha[/name]: [name]Love[/name] it would def consider for a middle name
[name]Alfie[/name]: [name]Jude[/name] [name]Law[/name] bad film comes to mind
[name]Anselm[/name]: never seen this before
[name]Archie[/name]: cute name
[name]Augustine[/name]: make a cool mn
[name]Avery[/name]: ovary , everytime
[name]Axel[/name]:
[name]Baxter[/name]: like this, like bexter even more
[name]Caroline[/name]: Beautiful
[name]Casey[/name]:
[name]Chester[/name]: love it
[name]Clementine[/name]: like it but so popular now
[name]Digby[/name]: nerdy name
[name]Ebeneezer[/name]: scrooge, sorry:(
[name]Eleazar[/name]: too girly for a guys name
[name]Ella[/name]: [name]Love[/name] it but too overused.
[name]Enoch[/name]:
[name]Eulalie[/name]/[name]Eulalia[/name]: pretty
[name]Finn[/name]: handsome name
[name]Galilee[/name]:actually would be cool for a girls name
[name]Hephzibah[/name]: strange spelling not sure if people would ‘get’ it
[name]Huck[/name]: rhyming slang
[name]Jedidiah[/name]: star wars
[name]Jericho[/name]: kinda cool
[name]Jethro[/name]: tull
[name]Lillian[/name]: beautiful classic name
[name]Lincoln[/name]: cool
[name]Margery[/name]: agree on the margarine front unfortunately
[name]Marian[/name]: too old fashioned
[name]Marilla[/name]:
[name]Maxine[/name]:
[name]Mickey[/name]: prefer [name]Mikey[/name]
[name]Ottilie[/name]: growing on me
[name]Quinn[/name]:ok
[name]Sawyer[/name]: guy from lost , not necessarily a bad thing ha
[name]Shiloh[/name]:beautiful damn brangelina!
[name]Tallulah[/name]:so gorgeous love it
[name]Tess[/name]:like it
[name]Wesley[/name]:think of wesley snipes, strong handsome name
[name]Wylie[/name]: cute name

[name]Augustine[/name] - Maybe [name]August[/name] or [name]Augusta[/name] would be easier but I still think it’d get [name]Gus[/name] as a nickname

[name]Avery[/name] - I like but too popular

[name]Caroline[/name] - I like this name but I HATE when people pronounce it [name]Carolin[/name]. If it ends with lyn/lin then it’s carolin but when it ends in line it’s cah-roh-lIne. So annoying

[name]Casey[/name] - Very nice but most of your choices are more classic/biblical. Maybe you could find a name that fits your list but can be shortened to [name]Casey[/name].

[name]Ebeneezer[/name] - Makes me think of two things. [name]Ebeneezer[/name] Scrooge and an early 90s Dance song called ‘Eezer Good’ that used the name [name]Ebeneezer[/name] (Eezer) Good to encourage drug use (E’s are good)

[name]Enoch[/name] - makes me think of unichs

[name]Eulalia[/name] - Would be really pretty but I read Redwall books when I was younger and for some reason the battle cry of the warrior animals was “[name]Eulalia[/name]”. Too weird for me now.

[name]Finn[/name] - It’s a nice name. It is Irish but maybe you could get away with it. [name]Finley[/name] maybe and shorten it? Are you married? If not you may luck out and marry someone with Irish heritage. Then [name]Finn[/name] is back on the table.lol

[name]Jericho[/name] - Seems like it should be really wrong and stupid… and yet I kind of like it too. Would get [name]Jerry[/name] as a nickname probably. If it was a girl maybe [name]Coco[/name]. It’s oddly cute.

[name]Lillian[/name] - Very pretty. Would get [name]Lily[/name] for short I think which is less stuffy. You could also go for [name]Lilith[/name] which is a little more dangerous sounding. Or liliana. I’m sure there must be other variations.

[name]Marian[/name]/[name]Marion[/name] - I really like it. Makes me think of Maid [name]Marion[/name] but also [name]Mary[/name] which is less specific so it works. I want this to come back too.

[name]Marilla[/name] - Quite nice. very unusual

[name]Mickey[/name] - You coudl use [name]Michael[/name] and shorten it to [name]Mickey[/name]. Then you could use [name]Michael[/name]/[name]Mike[/name]/[name]Mikey[/name] in different situations.

[name]Sawyer[/name] - Was pretty good but Lost made it too trendy for me.

[name]Shiloh[/name] - Same as above. It has a lovely sound but far too associated with Brangelina.

[name]Tallulah[/name] - I love the sound and flow of this name. All those lovely L’s. But I would have trouble taking someone called [name]Tallulah[/name] seriously.

[name]Tess[/name] - Nice and simple. Maybe for added umph it should be a nickname of something longer.

[name]Jemima[/name] - makes me think of jemima puddle duck but I do like it. I don’t think it’d be too bad really and her friends at school could just call her [name]Jem[/name].

[name]Tess[/name] - I found the name [name]Quintessa[/name] which is more interesting and combines [name]Quin[/name] and [name]Tess[/name] which are on your list. It’s Latin for ‘[name]Essence[/name].’

[name]Lilian[/name] - Variations: [name]Lilith[/name] (ghost), [name]Lilibeth[/name] (form of [name]Elizabeth[/name]), [name]Liliana[/name], [name]Lilika[/name], [name]Lillita[/name], [name]Lilou[/name]

[name]Lilibeth[/name] is cute!! If I wasn’t so dead set on [name]Eliza[/name]…

I like:

[name]Agatha[/name]: but I’m with you. It’s on my “names I don’t dare to use” list, because I’m not sure the rest of the world is ready.

[name]Finn[/name]: There are a lot of Irish names that I love, but my new last name is very Italian, so it wouldn’t sound right.

[name]Quinn[/name]: I love this one, but my hubby doesn’t.

[name]Sawyer[/name]: [name]Love[/name] this one so much I gave it to the first foster dog I got to name. Hubby doesn’t like it, so it wasn’t an option for a kid.

[name]Shiloh[/name]: Totally agree with you.

[name]Jemima[/name]: I really love this one. I’m also fond of [name]Gemma[/name], or in this case, I guess [name]Jemma[/name].

• [name]Agatha[/name]: Old lady name to me. I just don’t see it ever getting back in style.
  • [name]Alfie[/name]: You’re so right, it would be hard to take an [name]Alfie[/name] seriously. I think of a cartoon character. Name a scruffy dog [name]Alfie[/name], that would be cute.
  • [name]Anselm[/name]: [name]Don[/name]'t do it. It’s just…bad.
  • [name]Archie[/name]: This is definitely one of my guilty pleasure names as well, but it’s a tough one to use.
  • [name]Augustine[/name]: You’re right, it is a big name for a child to have. Definitely use it as a middle.
  • [name]Avery[/name]: For a boy or a girl? I’m guessing a boy. I say go for it, it’s a lovely name.
  • [name]Axel[/name]:“wannabe rocker” That is the perfect way to describe it. I also think of [name]David[/name] Axelrod, who works for [name]Obama[/name]
  • [name]Baxter[/name]: Makes me think of this one video game my little brother plays… A little strange for me.
  • [name]Caroline[/name]: This name has definitely grown on me, and I don’t think people would pronounced it “lyn” unless it was spelled [name]Carolyn[/name].
  • [name]Casey[/name]: I love this name. I really do. It’s a great choice.
  • [name]Chester[/name]: You described this perfectly. I love [name]Chester[/name], but I just don’t think anyone could get away with having it as their name.
  • [name]Clementine[/name]: It’s definitely a toughie for a first name, that’s why I’ve added it to my middle names list.
  • [name]Digby[/name]: I can’t help but think of a crazy Australian guy, like the Crocodile [name]Hunter[/name], when I hear this name.
  • [name]Ebeneezer[/name]: [name]Ebeneezer[/name] Scrooge. That’s all I can say, and hopefully that will make you change your mind.
  • [name]Eleazar[/name]: Makes me think of [name]Eleanor[/name], definitely not my favorite.
  • [name]Ella[/name]: Agreed. It’s such a gorgeous name (and means a lot to me personally), but hate how overused it is.
  • [name]Enoch[/name]: Much too serious. And for some reason, call me crazy, it sounds like he’d be bear the brunt of a lot of sexual innuendos later in life.
  • [name]Eulalie[/name]/[name]Eulalia[/name]: This name, while pretty looking, is hard for me to say. Best used as a middle, like you were thinking.
  • [name]Finn[/name]: Who cares if it’s “too Irish”? It’s a great name. It’s like you’re naming your son some unheard of, Icelandic name.
  • [name]Galilee[/name]: Makes me think of [name]Galileo[/name], such a brilliant man, I think this could be good as a middle name.
  • [name]Hephzibah[/name]: [name]Imagine[/name] her trying to learn how to spell this in kindergarten. [name]Imagine[/name] her teachers trying to pronounce it. While the meaning is sweet, it’s just unusable.
  • [name]Huck[/name]: Good point. And, once again, he’d bear the brunt of a lot of sexual jokes in high school.
  • [name]Jedidiah[/name]: I can’t help but think of a hick, or those crazy Duggars with 50 kids or whatever.
  • [name]Jericho[/name]: I actually like this one. It’s a little out there, but still usable.
  • [name]Jethro[/name]: It definitely has hick written all over it.
  • [name]Lillian[/name]: Gorgeous name! I love the nickname [name]Lilly[/name]. Maybe you’d like [name]Liliana[/name] as an alternative?
  • [name]Lincoln[/name]: I love this name. It has such wonderful connotations. And it could also make a great middle name.
  • [name]Margery[/name]: I don’t care for it very much. I love [name]Margaret[/name].
  • [name]Marian[/name]: Makes me think of [name]Marlon[/name] [name]Jackson[/name], don’t ask why.
  • [name]Marilla[/name]: Armadillo. That’s the first thing that popped into my head, then the Spanish word for yellow, amarillo.
  • [name]Maxine[/name]: I am with you on this. I want to love it, but just couldn’t…
  • [name]Mickey[/name]: “Oh [name]Mickey[/name] you’re so fine why can’t you understand? You take me by the heart when you take me by the hand.” Hahah I’m sorry, I just couldn’t help myself.
  • [name]Ottilie[/name]: Makes me think of an otter.
  • [name]Quinn[/name]: Oh but it’s wonderful! Screw it’s origins, go for it.
  • [name]Sawyer[/name]: While it’s a great name, can you imagine having a grandpa [name]Sawyer[/name]? Or [name]Doctor[/name] [name]Sawyer[/name]?
  • [name]Shiloh[/name]: I love this name as well, but in a few years I think it might be usable.
  • [name]Tallulah[/name]: It does sound like a name for a thespian! haha. I think it’s too little girl-sounding.
  • [name]Tess[/name]: This name has grown on me a lot lately. I also love [name]Tessa[/name].
  • [name]Wesley[/name]: Definitely think of a spoiled, rich bully. Or a gay man, not that that’s bad at all, but that’s just what I think of. If he’s not gay, then it just wouldn’t work in my opinion haha. I prefer [name]Weston[/name].
  • [name]Wylie[/name]: Exactly! [name]Wylie[/name] Coyote. Unusable. [name]Willem[/name] could be an alternative to [name]William[/name].

I have some untouchables myself, although I can’t really think of all of them so I won’t list them.

I like [name]Hephzibah[/name], too!

I knew I couldn’t be the only one!

[name]Marilla[/name]: An [name]Anne[/name] of [name]Green[/name] Gables favorite. But maybe shortened to [name]Rilla[/name]?

So happy to see [name]Marilla[/name] getting a nod! As a childhood [name]Anne[/name] fan, I’ve always loved it. It sounds so pretty, means “shining sea” and I just love everything about it! Bring yourself to use it! (And then maybe I’ll be able to, as well :slight_smile: )

One of us just needs to be brave. lol!

I had a great aunt named Lilibelle. That could be an alternative to [name]Lilibeth[/name] since you love [name]Eliza[/name] so much?

I have a friend called [name]Jemima[/name] who’s my age and I’ve never thought it was unusual or seen any reason not to use it…

I love [name]Jemima[/name] and would definitely use it in the middle if I were having more daughters. And yes, I am in the USA. :slight_smile:

But see, I’m black. :slight_smile: It’ll be like naming my daughter Uncle [name]Tom[/name]! I’m sure I’ll never hear the end of it. That’s ok, she’ll be my daughter and I love it! Besides, I’m planning to adopt. LOL! If I put the name on a redhead or something, no one’ll care.

[name]Hephzibah[/name] – don’t cross this one off of your list quite yet.
Could you go with [name]Hephzibah[/name] [name]Jemima[/name]? Or is it over the top? Not for me … To me, it’s regal and poetic sounding.

[name]Eleazar[/name]: nn Azza … feels so British

[name]Enoch[/name]: Very very Handsome

[name]Eulalie[/name]: Works with any age

[name]Hepzibah[/name]: [name]Love[/name] this, with the nn [name]Epsie[/name]. Can someone tell me why it is a “You can’t do this to your daughter” name? I thought it was beautiful. What is wrong?

[name]Huck[/name]: I love [name]Huckleberry[/name], he is so good. I was thinking maybe Huxford with nn [name]Huck[/name].

[name]Tallulah[/name]: “The whimsy.” :slight_smile: