Names I thought were popular... but aren't!

I don’t know if someone has already started a thread like this so I apologise if they have.

[name_m]Reading[/name_m] posts on Nameberry about exciting, interesting and beautiful names that everybody loves and wants to use for their children had led me to believe that these names were popular outside nameberry too, but I hadn’t really considered that not everybody is as obsessed with names.
When I was looking up where my own name is in the current rankings for [name_f]England[/name_f] I came across these names low down on the list and it surprised me:

[name_f]Bryony[/name_f] - 789 (49 babies) - [name_f]Briony[/name_f] is 1428 (22 babies)
[name_u]Wren[/name_u] - 812 (47 babies)
[name_f]Anwen[/name_f] - 825 (46 babies) - I don’t know if this is popular with other people but it’s one of my favourites
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f], [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] - 825 (46 babies)
[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f], [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f] - 844 (45 babies)
[name_f]Isis[/name_f] and [name_f]Lorelai[/name_f] - 857 (44 babies)
[name_f]Ottilie[/name_f] - 874 (43 babies)
[name_f]Camille[/name_f] - 887 (42 babies)
[name_f]Juno[/name_f] - 916 (40 babies)
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f], [name_f]Elinor[/name_f], [name_f]Thalia[/name_f] - 955 (38 babies)
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] - 1018 (35 babies)
[name_f]Isadora[/name_f] - 1099 (31 babies)
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f], [name_f]Celia[/name_f], [name_f]Eilidh[/name_f] - 1184 (28 babies)
[name_f]Susannah[/name_f] - 1253 (26 babies)
[name_f]Persephone[/name_f] - 1297 (25 babies)
[name_f]Elowen[/name_f] - 1342 (24 babies)
[name_f]Adeline[/name_f], [name_f]Delphine[/name_f], [name_f]Blythe[/name_f], [name_f]Willa[/name_f] - 1720 (17 babies)
[name_u]Clare[/name_u], [name_f]Coralie[/name_f] - 1809 (16 babies)
[name_u]Artemis[/name_u] - 1893 (15 babies)
[name_f]Colette[/name_f], [name_f]Delphi[/name_f] - 1991 (14 babies)
[name_u]Bay[/name_u], [name_u]Juniper[/name_u], [name_f]Mirabel[/name_f] - 2521 (10 babies)
[name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] - 2717 (9 babies)
[name_f]Cecelia[/name_f], [name_f]Isolde[/name_f], [name_f]Noelle[/name_f] - 2969 (8 babies)
[name_f]Gwendoline[/name_f] - 3285 (7 babies)
[name_u]June[/name_u] - 3681 (6 babies)
[name_f]Calliope[/name_f] - 4171 (5 babies)
[name_f]Aveline[/name_f], [name_f]Calla[/name_f] - 4838 (4 babies)

Is anybody else surprised by how few babies are given these beautiful names?

(All the numbers are for [name_f]England[/name_f] 2012)

Great post, thanks!
I’m in the States so I don’t know how well these numbers could mirror the U.S. stats, but definitely very interesting to look at.

Very interesting. People who want “unique” names for their babies should look at these lists before creating their own made up names.

Thanks for sharing! As another berry said not sure how well this mirrors the U.S., but all one would have to do is look the same information up to find some great gems!

Wow, those are some beautiful names being underutilized! Thanks for the post.

The only names on your list that someone has had that I’ve met in real life would be [name_f]Caroline[/name_f], [name_f]Gwendoline[/name_f] and [name_u]June[/name_u]. I’ve honestly never even met anyone else with the other names on your list although I’ve heard them before.

Names that I used to hear all the time were [name_f]Brittany[/name_f] and [name_u]Ashley[/name_u]. Now I’m starting to hear less of them and more of [name_f]Megan[/name_f] and [name_f]Leea[/name_f] than anything.

Wow, how is [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] that far down? Or [name_f]Bryony[/name_f] (I know two, and it’s one of my absolute favourites). I love just about all of these. Thanks for the post!

[name_f]Isolde[/name_f] and [name_f]Eilidh[/name_f] make my heart swell! It’s also kind of comforting that even though they are low in numbers, they won’t be the only ones on the planet ahaha

@livia I was very surprised by [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] and [name_f]Bryony[/name_f] as well (I also know 2 Bryonys). When I thought about it though, I know quite a few Carolines but only 2 of them are children (I know a 7 year old and 16 year old [name_f]Caroline[/name_f]) so maybe it seems popular because there are lots of adults with the name, but it’s just not as popular for babies at the moment?

I did the same for the US:

[name_f]Harriet[/name_f], [name_f]Lenora[/name_f] - 89 babies
[name_f]Tamar[/name_f] - 88 babies
[name_f]Suzanne[/name_f] - 86 babies
[name_f]Brigid[/name_f] - 84 babies
[name_f]Loralei[/name_f] - 82 babies
[name_f]Lillith[/name_f] - 80 babies
[name_f]Arwen[/name_f] - 79 babies
[name_f]Octavia[/name_f] - 79 babies
[name_f]Callista[/name_f] - 77
[name_f]Althea[/name_f], Briseis, [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] - 72
[name_f]Leora[/name_f] - 69
[name_f]Theodora[/name_f] - 67 [name_f]Theadora[/name_f] was given to 20 babies
[name_f]Coralie[/name_f] - 65
[name_f]Collette[/name_f] - 64
Avonlea - 63
[name_f]Juno[/name_f] - 55
[name_f]Lavinia[/name_f] - 52
[name_f]Philippa[/name_f] - 51
[name_f]Hermione[/name_f] - 50 (I was actually surprised that this waa given to so many babies, I thought most people would find the HP reference too much!)
[name_u]Artemis[/name_u], [name_f]Marceline[/name_f] - 48
[name_f]Cassia[/name_f] - 45
[name_f]Mirabel[/name_f], [name_f]Oriana[/name_f] - 44
[name_f]Jemima[/name_f] - 40
[name_f]Odette[/name_f] - 40
[name_f]Eliora[/name_f] - 36 (same number of babies were named Female)
[name_f]Aveline[/name_f], [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] - 34
[name_u]Rue[/name_u] - 32
[name_f]Augusta[/name_f] - 30
[name_f]Leonora[/name_f] - 29 [name_f]Eleonora[/name_f] was given to 19 babies
[name_u]Wren[/name_u] -29
[name_f]Freja[/name_f] - 24 though [name_f]Freya[/name_f] was much more popular -
[name_u]Adair[/name_u], [name_u]Blaise[/name_u] - 23
[name_f]Isolde[/name_f] - 22
[name_f]Dorothea[/name_f], [name_f]Orla[/name_f] - 19
[name_f]Electra[/name_f] - 15
[name_f]Briony[/name_f] - 14 [name_f]Bryony[/name_f] was slightly lower down the list - 13 babies
[name_f]Aphrodite[/name_f], [name_f]Elowen[/name_f], [name_f]Marnie[/name_f] - 13
[name_f]Morgana[/name_f], [name_f]Rosaline[/name_f] - 12
[name_f]Anwen[/name_f] - 10
It was at this point that I gave up because there were A LOT of names given to 9 or less babies! :slight_smile:

There were loads more amazing names down at the bottom of the lists, these are just the ones that I had expected to be much more popular.

It seems there are some similarities with the list for [name_f]England[/name_f] but some names low down on the [name_f]England[/name_f] list were much higher on the US list (though obviously it’s hard to compare properly because there were so many more babies born in the US and so many more names!)

Some where I noticed a massive difference in position on the lists:
[name_f]Eilidh[/name_f] - [name_f]England[/name_f] 28, US only 5
[name_f]Ottilie[/name_f] - [name_f]England[/name_f] 43, I couldn’t find it on the SSA list for 2012
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f] - [name_f]England[/name_f] 28 (0.0038% of live births), US 3387 (0.0857% of live births)
[name_f]Gwendoline[/name_f] - I also couldn’t find on the SSA list (maybe I’m looking at the wrong list lol?)

A lot of the ones on the list for [name_f]England[/name_f] are in the 100s on the SSA list (so around 0.003% of live births for both)

I’ve done this before. It’s good to get some perspective on names. A lot of time I leave NB feeling like my favorites are getting too common. I once had a meltdown about [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] getting too popular until SO gave me a look and I realized I was being silly. NB popular does not mean real world popular.

Oh right sorry, I didn’t look and see if someone else had done it because I was just in too much shock :slight_smile: I felt the same about the names I like, I was thinking if they are this popular now, how popular are they going to be by the time I get around to having children?! And then I looked at the statistics and relaxed a little bit

Oh, no. Haha. I meant I’ve been in the same state of shock, not that I’ve posted this topic before. :slight_smile: Like my [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] example, going by NB, I’d say it’s a fairly popular name, going by the US numbers, it’s not remotely popular. I do think NB is ahead of the trends, and some of the names people talk to death on NB will be popular in the real world eventually.

Ha ok :slight_smile: Yeah I thought that [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] would be top 10 but it’s 114 and I also thought [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] was getting really popular but it’s 253. It makes me happy but I think you’re right and NB is ahead of the trends and these names will only move up the rankings so that makes me worried all over again! [name_f]Aveline[/name_f] is one of my current favourites partly because [name_f]Ava[/name_f], which I fell in love with when I was 5, got too popular (but also because it’s an awesome name) and I bet everyone will soon realise this and then [name_f]Aveline[/name_f] will be popular too

I love a large majority of these names and I think it’s wonderful how many gems there really are waiting to be found! Knowing that there are such great names that are not mainstream popular is great and I wish people in the UK would spend more time looking than rearranging letters or giving a girl a boy’s name because there really is some beauties lower down the rankings.

I love [name_f]Cecelia[/name_f], [name_f]Adeline[/name_f], [name_f]Elowen[/name_f], [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] (in my top 3), [name_f]Isadora[/name_f], [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f], [name_f]Juno[/name_f], [name_f]Ottilie[/name_f], [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] & [name_f]Daphne[/name_f].

[QUOTE=sheflieswithherownwings;2143231]I love a large majority of these names and I think it’s wonderful how many gems there really are waiting to be found! Knowing that there are such great names that are not mainstream popular is great and I wish people in the UK would spend more time looking than rearranging letters or giving a girl a boy’s name because there really is some beauties lower down the rankings. QUOTE]

I know, exactly! Spelling a name differently doesn’t make it unique, it still sounds the same lol
When I was looking at the bottom of the lists some of the crazy spellings were, well, crazy!
Hmm, [name_f]Mazie[/name_f], Maisiee and Mayzee? What’s wrong with [name_f]Maisie[/name_f]/[name_f]Maisy[/name_f]?
Many variations of [name_u]Casey[/name_u] - [name_u]Kasey[/name_u], [name_f]Kaycee[/name_f], [name_f]Kaycie[/name_f] etc
Esmai and [name_f]Esmae[/name_f] as variations of Esmee?
[name_f]Charleigh[/name_f], [name_f]Hayleigh[/name_f], Avaleigh, [name_f]Bayleigh[/name_f]
I have never seen Micaella as a variation of [name_f]McKayla[/name_f] before
Rosely? But [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] is so much prettier

Too many more to mention them all :slight_smile:

I always chuckle when Nameberry puts out their annual report on the names that garnered the most searches, on this site, in the past year. Inevitably, people start freaking out over names becoming “too popular.” A reality check with the real-life stats is always refreshing. Many factors can be at play – and while some names really are moving up the ranks quickly and NB is ahead of the curve (greetings, [name_m]Declan[/name_m]), other times a pop-culture reference has “everybody” looking up the meaning to see what it’s all about ([name_f]Katniss[/name_f]), and then sometimes there’s a name getting a lot of attention and love but it was really only given to a dozen kids! That’s [name_m]WAY[/name_m] ahead of the curve…and the threshold for panic seems a longgggggg way off to me! But really, if someone is that worried about a name ever becoming even remotely popular, it doesn’t seem like a very logical idea to go talking about it on a public forum – where parents go to FIND names for their children. Cracks me up.

@redwoodfey RE: [name_u]Artemis[/name_u]. You made me LOL. Hilarious.

Curious, where did you get your stats? I have [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] down as 141 babies born and [name_f]Isadora[/name_f] 148 babies born last year with those names.

ETA: Never mind! [name_m]Just[/name_m] saw you are from the U.K.