names I'm loving lately...critique welcome

Lately I’ve been falling hard for the old lady names. I have no idea why, because part of me still loves the idea of [name]Artemis[/name]. But I’ve fallen hard for these:

[name]Imogen[/name]
[name]Ingrid[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name]

And also interested but not quite sure about:
[name]Jean[/name]
[name]Claudia[/name]

So…what do you think? Useable, pretty, hideous, crazy? [name]Do[/name] you prefer my old favorites or the new?

[name]Imogen[/name] is fabulous. I don’t know if I could pull it off, personally, but it would be adorable in many families.
[name]Ingrid[/name] feels a little bit more stiff to me, so I have a harder time loving it. I think it could be great in some situations though.
[name]Agatha[/name] is another great one.
[name]Jean[/name] is nice, I greatly prefer [name]June[/name], though.
[name]Claudia[/name]… I don’t know. Something about this one feels dated still maybe. Babysitters Club books? :slight_smile:

I love [name]Imogen[/name] and like [name]Ingrid[/name]. I don’t care for [name]Agatha[/name] personally…the “ag” sound bothers me. [name]Jean[/name] isn’t my style, but my midwife is named [name]Jeanie[/name] and I love her, so that’s a good association at least. Like PP, I prefer [name]June[/name] or even [name]Jane[/name]. I’m not a fan of [name]Claudia[/name], either. There’s nothing wrong with it, I just don’t care for it. I think all of the names are usable.

[name]Imogen[/name]- [name]Love[/name] this! So unusual especially in the USA. It has such a unique sound too.
[name]Ingrid[/name]- This sounds just a bit harsh to me. I kinda have a feeling that I should like it, but theres something about it that I can’t quite love.
[name]Agatha[/name]- This still sounds like a mean old British nanny to me lol. I am starting to like it though.
[name]Jean[/name]- Sounds a little dated to me. I prefer [name]June[/name] and [name]Jane[/name] much more.
[name]Claudia[/name]- I kinda like this! But the meaning isn’t the greatest, if thats something that is important to you.
[name]Artemis[/name]- This is more of a GP name for me. I do like the history behind it though.

My fave by far is [name]Imogen[/name]!

I love [name]Ingrid[/name] and [name]Jean[/name]. My cousin [name]Ingrid[/name] is nicknamed [name]Inga[/name], which I’ve always thought was cool.
[name]Jean[/name] is my middle name, and I love how it sounds as a middle name with all sorts of names! It’s cute as a fn too. I like [name]Jeanie[/name] also.

Thanks for answering, everyone! [name]Jean[/name] and [name]Claudia[/name] I’m more hesitant about…i think I’d only use [name]Jean[/name] if i hyphenated [name]Louise[/name] onto it, and i am almost liking it as much as [name]Scout[/name]. It feels a little bit more literary and less trendy, and i like that the reference isn’t quite as in-your-face. [name]Jean[/name]-[name]Louise[/name] isn’t quite as obvious as [name]Scout[/name], you know? I’m not sure I’d use it, but it’s growing on me.

[name]Claudia[/name] just sounds so cool because i watch a show with a young, hip [name]Claudia[/name] in it. All the Claudias i know in real life are annoy 40-60, which makes it feel…too middle-aged.

[name]Imogen[/name] is my special favorite right now, so I’m trying to think of a sib set that would work well with it. I like that [name]Imogen[/name] is familiar and easy to pronounce and yet not in the top 1000. I’d love other suggestions for a sib set there…i already dislike a lot of the [name]Berry[/name] favorites like [name]Beatrice[/name], [name]Josephine[/name], [name]Wilhelmina[/name], etc. so I’m trying to think of others.
So far i could see an [name]Imogen[/name] with sisters [name]Felicity[/name]/[name]Florence[/name] (i lean towards [name]Florence[/name], but i like both) and maybe [name]Clementine[/name]? The idea of clementine is beautiful, but the possibility of nickname [name]Clem[/name] makes my skin crawl…

[name]Amy[/name] suggestions? [name]Do[/name] these fit?

I like [name]Imogen[/name] and it doesn’t actually feel that old to me.
Not a fan of [name]Ingrid[/name]. It still sounds harsh to me.
I actually like [name]Agatha[/name]. Nickname [name]Aggie[/name] is adorable, and makes it more usable.
Not a fan of [name]Jean[/name]. I much prefer [name]Jane[/name].
I love [name]Claudia[/name]. It’s a name I never thought I would live, but I find it beautiful and strong. The lack of nicknames is its only flaw.

My friends affectionately jokes that I love “nursing home names”- so I’m on the same wavelength with these older names! I think [name]Agatha[/name] is actually really pretty, and shes the patron saint of youth. I also really like [name]Florence[/name] (even [name]Florance[/name], though [name]Florence[/name] I prefer) and I really like the idea of [name]Flora[/name] as a nickname. Other names I love are [name]Dorothy[/name] ([name]Dottie[/name] or [name]Dolly[/name] as a nickname), [name]Violet[/name], [name]Evelyn[/name] (nn [name]Evie[/name], though its getting so trendy), [name]Helen[/name]/[name]Helena[/name], and [name]June[/name]. I really like [name]Ingrid[/name], but I dont like [name]Imogen[/name] (doesnt sound feminine enough for me). [name]Martha[/name] and [name]Margaret[/name] are pretty cute too, and there are endless nickname possibilities for those. [name]Ruthie[/name] and [name]Ruby[/name] are two other ones that I think are adorable. [name]Hope[/name] this helps!

[name]Claudia[/name] was a name I thought I liked once, till looked up the definition of it. Its meaning comes from the latin word for “lame”. That nixed it for me.

“Derived from the Latin [name]Claudius[/name], an old [name]Roman[/name] family name, which is from claudus (lame).”

I like [name]Claudia[/name], [name]Imogen[/name] and [name]Agatha[/name]… I think they are all usable. [name]Ingrid[/name] I am on the fence about, [name]Jean[/name] is ok ut I prefer [name]Jane[/name] as a first name.

[name]Love[/name] [name]Agatha[/name], and I love the nn [name]Aggie[/name]… Very sweet!

Ok right now I’m thinking my top 6 is only these 4:

[name]Imogen[/name], [name]Florence[/name], [name]Rosamund[/name], and [name]Clementine[/name]. [name]Do[/name] those flow okay? Does [name]Agatha[/name] stand out too much against them? Any boy name ideas that fit with it?

My maximum amount of kids is 6 so i try to have a top 6 for each gender

I’m loving all your feedback!

I like [name]Ingrid[/name]. It’s lovely and interesting.

[name]Imogen[/name] is unfamiliar to me since I’ve never met anyone with the name, but it is recognizable and nice enough.

[name]Agatha[/name] I find completely hideous. Sorry. It’s right up there with [name]Bertha[/name] and [name]Dorcas[/name] for me. A very unpleasant sound combination.

[name]Jean[/name] is just a bit dull and dated to me. It doesn’t have the same dignity of [name]Jane[/name] or [name]Anne[/name] but it also doesn’t have the uniqueness of something like [name]Bess[/name] or [name]Ruth[/name].

[name]Claudia[/name]. Fine. I’m just not fond of the “clod” sound.