Names in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

I’m currently reading this to my son. I’m fascinated that so many of the names Dahl chose are pretty popular now. It was written in 1964; Dahl was born in 1916. Here’s the list:
[name]Charlie[/name]
Grandpa [name]Joe[/name]
Grandma [name]Josephine[/name]
Grandpa [name]George[/name]
Grandma [name]Georgina[/name]
[name]Augustus[/name] (ticket winner)
[name]Veruca[/name] (ticket winner – is this even a real name?)
[name]Violet[/name] (ticket winner)
[name]Mike[/name] (ticket winner)
[name]Cornelia[/name] ([name]Violet[/name]'s best friend; maybe this one will start moving up?)
[name]Charlotte[/name] (a Russian one-off character)

• e

I was just thinking about this same thing the other day, [name]Lucky[/name]! :slight_smile: Matlida is another Dahl name back in style.

And the dead father of [name]Matilda[/name]'s teacher is [name]Magnus[/name]. Then there’s [name]Sophie[/name] or [name]Sophia[/name] in “The BFG”.

Wow! [name]Roald[/name] was a naming mastermind! I wonder if most of those names were popular in his childhood?

[name]Veruca[/name] is a real name. It is Latin and means “a type of wart”. LOL It is pretty funny considering the character and her personality.

Oh i never realised that before and I loved [name]Roald[/name] Dahl when i was a kid.

[name]James[/name] and Giant Peach- [name]Jame[/name] [name]Henry[/name]

The Witches
[name]Bruno[/name]
[name]Luke[/name]
[name]Eva[/name]
[name]Marlene[/name]
[name]Elsie[/name]
[name]Dora[/name]
[name]Millie[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Henrietta[/name]

[name]Matilda[/name]-
[name]Harry[/name]
[name]Zinnia[/name]
[name]Lavender[/name]

Call me awful, but [name]Veruca[/name] would be a perfect name fo rmy 4 year old daughter who though sweet and adorable, tends to be dramatic and have bossy fits (mostly directed at her brother) Thanks for making me smile!!!