Names Inspired by Places (Not just London and Paris...)

One of my favourite ways to find unique/interesting/weird names is by opening up Google maps and scrolling over obscure places. Here are some in [name_f]Canada[/name_f] that I found:

Boy:
Atlin
Brunner
[name_m]Faro[/name_m]
[name_m]Madoc[/name_m]
[name_m]Taber[/name_m]
Stenen

Girl:
Airdrie
[name_f]Alida[/name_f]
[name_f]Elnora[/name_f]
[name_f]Elora[/name_f]
Elrose
Fernie
Minden
[name_f]Roslin[/name_f]
[name_f]Vidette[/name_f]

Are there any unique place names that have inspired you?

4 Likes

I think of [name_u]Jericho[/name_u] and [name_f]Regina[/name_f]! ([name_f]Regina[/name_f] pronounced the standard way, not the Canadian way, ha ha.)

I love [name_f]Ravenna[/name_f], which is a place in [name_f]Italy[/name_f].

Vienna, [name_f]Florence[/name_f], [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u], [name_f]Sedona[/name_f], [name_f]Arizona[/name_f] and [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f].

Don’t forget [name_m]Santiago[/name_m]! It’s the name of the capital of Chile and also cities in Mexico and Spain. It originally meant St. [name_u]James[/name_u] before it was a place name.

Monterrey, Londrés (Spanish for [name_u]London[/name_u], remove accent and it’s [name_u]French[/name_u]), Gaborone, and [name_f]Sardegna[/name_f] (Italian for [name_f]Sardinia[/name_f]) are place names I’ve taken a liking to, but I’d never use any of them myself.

1 Like

Not exactly unique, but my favorite place names are [name_f]Ainhoa[/name_f] and [name_f]Lourdes[/name_f].

1 Like

My favourite place names are also well established as human names: [name_f]Alexandria[/name_f], [name_f]Lorraine[/name_f], [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] etc.

My own name is also the name of a small city in another country!

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are [name_u]Milan[/name_u], [name_u]Houston[/name_u], [name_m]Santiago[/name_m], [name_f]Alexandria[/name_f], [name_f]Vienna[/name_f], [name_f]Geneva[/name_f], [name_f]Valencia[/name_f], [name_u]Rome[/name_u], [name_u]Salem[/name_u], [name_u]Austin[/name_u], [name_u]Berlin[/name_u], Andalusia, [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f], [name_u]Windsor[/name_u], [name_u]Cairo[/name_u], & [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u]

I love [name_f]Venice[/name_f] and [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] (my home town)

Fun fact: if you’re named [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] in my city (called [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]) you get to have morning tea with the mayor at an annual celebration!

3 Likes

Elora is beautiful!

Some I like:
Kinvara
Eriska
[name_f]Vaila[/name_f]
[name_f]Iona[/name_f]
[name_f]Verona[/name_f]
[name_f]Geneva[/name_f]
[name_f]Vienna[/name_f]
[name_f]Araluen[/name_f]
[name_f]Thessaly[/name_f]
Itatí

Jasper
[name_u]Brooks[/name_u]
[name_u]Milan[/name_u]
[name_u]Sidney[/name_u]
[name_u]Carlyle[/name_u]
[name_f]Maple[/name_f] ([name_u]Creek[/name_u], SK)
[name_m]Vigo[/name_m]
[name_f]Alba[/name_f]

I’ve always thought that [name_u]Cairo[/name_u] was really cool!