Names like Saskia

@kashed22: That was my EXACT thought when I saw [name]Simone[/name]: “It’s like a more feminine, classic version of [name]Sloane[/name]”. Which is great b/c [name]Sloane[/name] is one of those names that I think I like the idea of better than the name itself, if THAT makes any sense!

Unfortunately when I ran the name by my husband, his first reaction was to wrinkle his nose and make a sour face. Which I know means he objects to it for completely irrational reasons that he can’t articulate. Ie. the MOST difficult names to argue for! Sigh.

Turns out there used to be a girl [name]Simone[/name] that he and his friends would tease mercilessly (for reasons he hasn’t told me). I told him to stop thinking about that girl and instead think about HIS (future) little, beautiful spunky wonderful girl running around with that name. We’ll see…we just “took the goalie from the net” on [name]Monday[/name] so he definitely has time to get used to the idea.

Meanwhile, another name came to mind that I never see mentioned here at Nameberry but which I am currently obsessing on: [name]Claudia[/name].

Any reactions to that name, Berries? Feels like [name]Saskia[/name] to me.

[name]Claudia[/name] is my favorite for you so far.:slight_smile:
[name]How[/name] about [name]Gaia[/name], [name]Marika[/name], [name]Sari[/name], [name]Nadia[/name], [name]Bianca[/name], [name]Sylvia[/name], [name]Chloe[/name], [name]Astrid[/name], [name]Asha[/name], [name]Lucia[/name], [name]Cosima[/name], [name]Wynona[/name], or Ocea?

Too bad about [name]Simone[/name]. I too have a bad personal assocation with the name [name]Simone[/name]. If you love it though you should keep fighting for it. As far as [name]Claudia[/name] goes, I love it. I made a post about it a while back and the general feedback was positive. It is uncommon enough that she wont have to share the name with classmates, but is by no means strange. The only negative point is the meaning (lame). [name]Ive[/name] never been a meaning person myself but it is something to consider.

@leah_9: hmmm I am big into meaning, so that’s unfortunate. Anyway, just realized it wouldn’t work well with our last name ([name]Kelly[/name]). The combo is a little harsh for me.

@mcleod01: [name]Bianca[/name] is nice. None of the others work for me. I once was reading the enrollment of my daughter’s swim class and saw the name “Oshen”. I puzzled for a minute until I realized it was supposed to be pronounced “[name]Ocean[/name]”. Uh. Awful. So that has kind of ruined the Ocea’s of the baby name world for me – to many creative & trendy spellings

Aww man, too bad about [name]Simone[/name] and [name]Claudia[/name]. Here is a big crazy random list! Have fun!

[name]Niva[/name]
[name]Neva[/name]
[name]Nizana[/name]
[name]Selah[/name]
[name]Darsha[/name]
[name]Jivanta[/name]
[name]Nayana[/name]
[name]Savita[/name]
[name]Sarolta[/name]
[name]Bedelia[/name]
[name]Finola[/name]
[name]Apolline[/name]
[name]Chimene[/name]
[name]Xenia[/name]
[name]Oksana[/name]
[name]Fabienne[/name]
[name]Frostine[/name]
[name]Lucienne[/name]
[name]Martine[/name]
[name]Sidaine[/name]
[name]Celinka[/name]
[name]Isolde[/name]
[name]SimonA[/name]/[name]Simonetta[/name] ; )
[name]Vivia[/name]
[name]Alta[/name]
[name]Cerelia[/name]
[name]Ceres[/name]
[name]Dulcia[/name]
[name]Juno[/name]
[name]Faustine[/name]
[name]Lux[/name] (guilty pleasure)
[name]Nadia[/name]
[name]Tacita[/name]
[name]Veradis[/name]
[name]Zinnia[/name]
[name]Sigrid[/name]
[name]Lovise[/name]
[name]Birgitte[/name]/[name]Brigita[/name]
Marjane (mar zhawn)
[name]Roxana[/name]
[name]Vashti[/name]
[name]Gwyneth[/name]
[name]Taliesin[/name]
[name]Seren[/name]
[name]Nerys[/name]
[name]Esylit[/name]
[name]Betrys[/name]
[name]Sisel[/name]
[name]Fairuza[/name]
[name]Sarice[/name]
[name]Sanna[/name]
[name]Vendela[/name]

Oh wow, I just came across a name I have never heard before. I know, I’ve got a serious namenerd buzz right now. Anyways moxie, it made me think of this [name]Saskia[/name] thread.

Have you ever heard of Briet? (bree et i think or b riet) I saw it on a post on “You Cant Call It It”. With more investigation I began to fall in love! Briet is Scandinavian in origin and a variation of [name]Briar[/name]. The meaning of Briet that I found on another site is “thorny bush of wild roses”. That made me melt. I know that meaning is important to you and that [name]Petra[/name]'s name is nature in theme as well so perhaps this si a good thing? It reminds me of other names you liked for example [name]Silke[/name]/[name]Elke[/name] but is also streamlined and sophisticated to my ears like [name]Simone[/name] or [name]Sloane[/name] for example. Or perhaps it sounds to much like the cheese or to close in sound to [name]Petra[/name]? :smiley:

@kashed22 – I haven’t heard Briet before, and I at first glance, I like it. I’ll ask my mom (she’s danish) how she would pronounce it (which doesn’t mean Americans would pronounce it the same). What is really cool is that [name]Briar[/name] was on the shortlist for my first daughter, and lingers on my list for a second daughter.

For now I am settling on [name]Saskia[/name] Margrethe, nicknamed [name]Moxie[/name] – the “mah” sound from Margrethe and the “skeee” sound from [name]Saskia[/name] - sure it’s a stretch, but I give a loooong leash to nickname derivations!

Margrethe (loosely “mar-greta”) would combine my mom’s name (Merethe) and my [name]MIL[/name]‘s name ([name]Margo[/name]), with the added bonus of being very danish (name of the current queen). My first daughter has all the great-grandmothers’ names combined, so I think it would be nice to combine the grandmothers’ names for the next girl.

(Or maybe [name]Saskia[/name] [name]Marguerite[/name] – accomplishes the same thing but flows alittle better)

I just shudder to think she might end up nicknamed [name]Kiki[/name] ([name]Kiki[/name] [name]Kelly[/name]…ugh.) or Saucy (that’s a self-fulfilling prophecy if I ever saw one!!) so using [name]Moxie[/name] should avoid this. Plus, I love [name]Moxie[/name] :slight_smile:

And now I think I will STOP until I am actually pregnant!

(…and keep [name]Simone[/name] and [name]Oona[/name] in my back pocket)