Names ruined by teaching?

Calling all teachers-

What is a name that was ruined for you by a particular student? I just finished up my first year, and I now have a few names that I have bad associations with.

Girls
[name_u]Riley[/name_u]
[name_f]Julianna[/name_f]
[name_u]Evelyn[/name_u]

Boys
[name_u]Logan[/name_u]
[name_u]Mason[/name_u]
[name_m]William[/name_m]

I have been teaching for over a decade and before that was a nanny while getting my degrees, and before that, worked at an after school program while I was in high school. I say all this to prove that I’ve come across most names multiple times, so there’s very few names that a single student had that I only associate with them.

I also don’t believe in “bad” kids. They’re kids, and there are only bad adults in my opinion, that they either emulate or that won’t take the time to understand them, help them, and love them. That said, I have had three different Griffins, and each of them were challenging students, but not bad. I will be surprised if I ever have a [name_u]Griffin[/name_u] that isn’t challenging. :laughing:

The name [name_m]Rigoberto[/name_m] and the name [name_m]Earnest[/name_m] are two that I do have strong, single associations with that, while not ruined per say, only make me think of the two rambunctious students. When I was a nanny, there was a very snobby little girl named [name_u]Wesley[/name_u], which I think I will always associate that name on a girl with her.

2 Likes

As someone who substituted for middle school classes, one thing I noticed (and I’m not sure why) was that all the toxic popular girls had the sound “ee” in their name. [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], [name_f]Audrey[/name_f], [name_f]Zoey[/name_f] [name_u]Allie[/name_u], [name_f]Nadia[/name_f], [name_f]Eliana[/name_f], [name_f]Katie[/name_f], [name_f]Eva[/name_f], [name_f]Franny[/name_f], [name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], [name_u]Riley[/name_u], [name_f]Katrina[/name_f], [name_f]Annie[/name_f], [name_f]Ariana[/name_f], and [name_u]Jessie[/name_u] are all I can think of right now, but all the nice sweet girls didn’t have the “ee” sound??? This is pretty strange but it’s true for my area I guess

1 Like

Im not a teacher but a few bad teachers have ruined good names for me. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

I’ve nannies, worked at camps, and taught - a lot of the names that are just from stand out, amazing kids but there are also some rowdy ones.

Bram
Dot
Emmy
Ezra
Harper
Jack
Jocelyn
Leah
Lela
Levi
Lily
Lydia
Marielle
Marin
Sawyer
Susanna
Theo
Wilbur

For me it’s the combos/sib sets! There is a sib set that is a common suggestion and that I do like, that I could never use because together it creates the full name of a former student :joy:

1 Like

I’ve had many names endeared to me because of students. Names I would have never liked before.

Interestingly enough, after having 2 students with the same name, one year after the other, and each of those girls being quite the sassy personality… I named my baby that same name! (*said child certainly has a personality to go along with the name!)

2 Likes

Oh, basically my entire original list has been ruined in the space of 3 years. Not always because the kids were displaying negative behaviour but just because there’s now such a keen association with the name and a particular student. Teaching the same 25-30 kids for a year makes names very connected.

Names that I won’t use simply because of how common they have been - regardless of whether they were originally my style:
[name_u]Oliver[/name_u]
[name_u]Noah[/name_u]
[name_m]Arthur[/name_m]
[name_u]Harry[/name_u]
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m]
[name_u]Freddie[/name_u]
[name_u]Theo[/name_u] / [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] / [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] etc.
[name_m]William[/name_m]
[name_u]James[/name_u]
[name_m]Edward[/name_m]
[name_u]Finley[/name_u]
[name_u]Arlo[/name_u]
[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] / [name_m]Seb[/name_m]
[name_u]Louie[/name_u] / [name_m]Louis[/name_m]
[name_u]Mason[/name_u]
[name_m]David[/name_m]
[name_u]Jude[/name_u]
[name_u]Ezra[/name_u]
[name_u]Riley[/name_u]
[name_u]Harley[/name_u] / [name_m]Harvey[/name_m]
[name_u]Jasper[/name_u]
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u] / [name_m]Roman[/name_m]

[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Isla[/name_f]
[name_f]Grace[/name_f] / [name_f]Gracie[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_u]Florence[/name_u]
[name_f]Poppy[/name_f]
[name_u]Willow[/name_u]
[name_f]Millie[/name_f]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
[name_f]Imogen[/name_f]
[name_f]Layla[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Nancy[/name_f]
[name_f]Darcie[/name_f] / [name_u]Darcy[/name_u] / [name_u]Darcey[/name_u]
[name_f]Amelie[/name_f]
[name_f]Evie[/name_f] / [name_f]Edie[/name_f]
[name_f]Summer[/name_f]
[name_f]Beth[/name_f] / [name_f]Bethany[/name_f] / [name_f]Betsy[/name_f] etc.

During high school I use to do COOP, which was a daycare/preschool, but these are the names that were ruined for me:

[name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] (boys specifically)
[name_f]Emma[/name_f]
[name_f]Marissa[/name_f]
[name_u]Sean[/name_u]
[name_u]Cameron[/name_u]
[name_u]Hunter[/name_u]
[name_u]Padget[/name_u]
[name_m]Cohen[/name_m]
[name_m]Drake[/name_m]
[name_u]Ryder[/name_u]

And that’s pretty much it, at least that’s what I can remember. Not saying they ruined the names, but the fact that they left a strong enough association for me, to not name my kids after them.

I used to teach swimming and the only name that’s been ruined for me has been [name_m]Edward[/name_m]

I honestly don’t have any yet (second year teaching). The few especially difficult students I’ve struggled with have had either names that I would never consider in the first place or names that are so common that the student is still not my primary association with them. I do have a lot of names that I think about more positively because of certain students, though. I’ve taught a very lovely [name_f]Mildred[/name_f] and [name_m]Albert[/name_m] two years running and it’s made me totally able to see those names on modern teenagers/children. I will say, every student I’ve ever taught with a [name_m]Ken[/name_m]- name (Kennedy, [name_u]Kendall[/name_u] x 2, [name_m]Kendrick[/name_m], and Kenneth), has been both incredibly energetic and very friendly/sweet, which I think is kind of a funny coincidence. Absolutely wouldn’t stereotype a new student with a [name_m]Ken[/name_m]- name to fit that model, but it’s just something I’ve noticed and found amusing.

I agree with what previous people have said about certain associations being not negative, but strong. With some of my students who have more unique/unusual names, the student becomes my strongest association with the name, so I feel like if one of my more unusual favorite names turned up on a student I might start associating it with that person and have a harder time picturing it on my kid.

1 Like

I’m not a teacher, but I used to like [name_u]Indigo[/name_u] “Indie” until I had one (who was a butthole) in my class.

1 Like

Thinking more about this, for various reasons, the most popular names from a given year aren’t necessarily going to be over represented in our students. I also work with old kids, so by the time they get to me, those names have been out in the world for awhile.

I can see it being different for a teacher of a younger grade.

[name_u]Tatum[/name_u]
[name_f]Gracelynn[/name_f] nn [name_f]Gracie[/name_f]