Names that are hard to say

Does anybody else have trouble liking certain names because they’re personally hard to say? In other words, names you know the pronunciation but can’t quite pronounce yourself.

Mine are:
[name_m]Carl[/name_m] and [name_u]Kyle[/name_u]. Perfectly fine names that i don’t mind hearing, but they don’t really roll off my tongue. They just get kinda stuck in my throat and sound all lumpy when I say them.

[name_f]Anais[/name_f]: Again, fine name but hard for me to say.

[name_f]Hermione[/name_f] : Okay i I just flat out dislike this name, but it rolls off my tongue awkwardly, too.

[name_f]Zephyrine[/name_f]: Sounds like “suffering” when I say it. Not attractive to me.

[name_u]Tierney[/name_u]: Sounds like “tyranny” when I say it.
No offence is intended!

[name_f]Aurora[/name_f], [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f], and [name_u]Rory[/name_u] are pretty difficult for me! I don’t know why, its just the Aur- and the Ror- that are hard to say! I love the names but the pronunciation will never roll off my tongue correctly.

[name_m]Arnold[/name_m]. Maybe it’s just because of the [name_m]Arnold[/name_m] [name_m]Palmer[/name_m] drink–iced tea & lemonade–but I get this horribly mixed up.

I agree with [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] and [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f], even though they’re on my list, sometimes they’re just hard to get around. I’d also add:
[name_f]Emilia[/name_f]
Merewen
[name_f]Morwenna[/name_f]
[name_f]Elise[/name_f]- It seems a lot easier to say with another name in front for some reason.

A lot of these are still on my list :P. I’ll probably add more later.

Yup, [name_u]Rory[/name_u] and [name_f]Aurora[/name_f]. Also, for Spanish speakers, anything with an “au” sound is hard, like [name_u]August[/name_u] and [name_f]Audrey[/name_f].

[name_f]Anastasia[/name_f], Solane, [name_f]Emilia[/name_f], [name_f]Laelia[/name_f] (lay-lee-ah), [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f]

[name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m], [name_m]Dashiell[/name_m], [name_m]Ronan[/name_m], [name_m]Leopold[/name_m]

Isn’t it just a ow sound for them? Or is that hard to say too?
For me [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] is hard to say because I just never know how to pronounce it in English, in [name_m]German[/name_m] we use the [name_m]French[/name_m] pronunciation of mahd-len but if I read this name on here I don’t even try.
[name_f]Aurora[/name_f] is a bit hard to say in English but it’s mostly on my list for its [name_m]German[/name_m] pronunciation, anyway.

[name_f]Linnea[/name_f], I like this name but sometimes I struggle to say it. Along with [name_f]Oceana[/name_f]. But they are two names that are actually one my name list!

For me, it’s [name_m]Peregrine[/name_m]. I keep flirting with it as a middle idea for [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]. I love the way [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] [name_m]Peregrine[/name_m] looks, and the meaning of [name_m]Peregrine[/name_m] is great, too (“traveler”), but if I’m not careful when I say it, it comes out sounding more like Peragwen…which is just not attractive at all.

[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]. I know it’s pronounced with a ‘sh’ and not a hard ‘ch’ like chew, but every time I say it I start to say it wrong before correcting myself. It annoys the hell out of me because I just can’t seem to say it right the first time, even though I’m well aware that it’s wrong.

Definitely [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] and all these other names with 2+ R-s. They are just impossible for me!

I like the look of [name_m]Boaz[/name_m], but it sounds awkward and choppy when I say it out loud.

[name_f]Avalon[/name_f]… i love love love the name byt have so much trouble saying it.
[name_f]Willow[/name_f] is an other one of those. The first w sounds kind of like a v when i try

[name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Aurora[/name_f]
[name_f]Tamara[/name_f]
[name_f]Samara[/name_f]

[name_f]Imogen[/name_f]
[name_f]Anais[/name_f]
[name_f]Isla[/name_f]
[name_f]Kiersten[/name_f]

[name_u]Rory[/name_u]/[name_m]Ruadhri[/name_m]
[name_f]Aurora[/name_f]

We are using [name_f]Lilith[/name_f]. I can say it, but im worried it might be hard for others or small children to say.

[quote="“opheliaflora,post:7,topic:241350”]

Isn’t it just a ow sound for them? Or is that hard to say too?[/QUOTE]

I don’t use an “ow” sound for [name_u]August[/name_u] and [name_f]Audrey[/name_f], personally. I pronounce them both with an “ah” sound. Ah-gust and Ah-dree. [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] is a little different, I tend to find myself pronouncing it with a slightly lower, heavier “ah” sound than I use with [name_u]August[/name_u]. (Because [name_u]August[/name_u] is bright and bouncy, and [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] is more regal-sounding, I guess.)

[name_f]Aurora[/name_f] I pronounce with an “oh” sound.

Seconding:

[name_f]Aurora[/name_f]
[name_u]Rory[/name_u]
[name_f]Isla[/name_f] (I can say “isle”, but I can’t seem to drop the s when I try to say this name.)
[name_f]Anais[/name_f] (“ah-nah-EESE”/“ah-NICE”? It looks so pretty, but I haven’t been able to make the “ai” roll off my tongue naturally.)

Unfortunately, I can’t think of any names that haven’t already been mentioned besides [name_f]Greer[/name_f]/[name_f]Grier[/name_f], which was recently recommended to me. Double r’s are difficult.

ETA: [name_m]Harold[/name_m].

For me, [name_u]Drew[/name_u]/[name_f]Drucilla[/name_f]/Drusus type names are the most difficult. Others are names that have rue/roo sounds in them. Most others I can pronounce easily, unless they have a Welsh double L in them or certain other special characters/sounds.
Others:
Aurora/Roy
Anais
Macon
Lucia/Cassia (when prn. with sh)
Eileen/Aileen

I’m a Spanish speaker and I can pronouce [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] and [name_u]August[/name_u] without problems. :wink: