Names that are male in the uk but female in the us (and vise versa)

I live in the uk and didn’t actually know that [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] was strictly female until recently. I’ve only ever met men named that.
Same with -son names, or Skyler/ar, only ever seen it on men here. I knew they could be used for girls in the us but not that they were only used on girls.
So I was wondering what other names are like this? One in the uk then the opposite in the us.

Oh my gosh, I’ve noticed this too.
I don’t live in either the US or the UK, but I do know someone who is from the UK. They claim that Lesley/Leslie is a male name! Like what? Where I come from it is predominantly used for females! I can sort of see the unisex quality of [name_u]Leslie[/name_u] but I am still shocked.

2 Likes

Disclaimer: all of these names have seen unisex usage in both countries, however, I’m going with the gender the name is most common for!

[name_u]Bailey[/name_u] (male in UK, female in US)
[name_u]Casey[/name_u] (female in UK, male in US)
[name_u]Harley[/name_u] (male in UK, female in US)
[name_u]Jamie[/name_u] (male in UK, female in US)
[name_u]Mackenzie[/name_u] (male in UK, female in US)
[name_u]Marley[/name_u] (male in UK, female in US)
[name_u]Morgan[/name_u] (male in UK, female in US)
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] (male in UK, female in US)
[name_u]Taylor[/name_u] (male in UK, female in US)

Another interesting note: I moved from the UK to Australia in my childhood and noticed that the name [name_u]Shannon[/name_u] is unisex over here, whereas in the UK it is strictly female. And over here, [name_u]Darcy[/name_u] is strictly masculine whereas it is mainly used for girls in the UK!

2 Likes

Dana and Dakota are unisex in the US but are pretty much exclusively used for girls in the UK, so sometimes it does go the other way. Also, Skyler/Skylar is statistically much more popular for girls in the UK than boys (it was largely unknown in this country until Breaking Bad aired).

1 Like

Used (more) on boys in the UK and girls in the US:

[name_u]Mckenzie[/name_u]
[name_u]Hadley[/name_u]
[name_u]Shay[/name_u]
[name_u]Oakley[/name_u]
[name_u]Ellis[/name_u]
[name_u]Frankie[/name_u]
[name_u]Emerson[/name_u]
[name_u]Madigan[/name_u]
[name_u]Presley[/name_u]
[name_u]Arden[/name_u]
[name_u]Riley[/name_u]
[name_u]Taylor[/name_u]

I’d say [name_f]Brooklynn[/name_f]! When I moved back to [name_u]England[/name_u], I was surprised just how many boy Brooklynns there were in my school, after it being a strictly feminine name in my head!

1 Like

@Blue_Velvet I’d have said that in [name_u]England[/name_u] (as a Brit), the spelling of [name_u]Leslie[/name_u] is predominantly used for males and [name_u]Lesley[/name_u] for females. Take the actors [name_u]Leslie[/name_u] [name_m]Phillips[/name_m] and [name_u]Lesley[/name_u] Manville as examples. Not that it doesn’t or cannot be the other way around of course but to my knowledge, this is typically the case.

So interesting our experience is different

As a U.K. resident I’ve only ever met female Ashley/Ashleigh s and Skyler/Skyla/Skylar s

[name_u]Ashley[/name_u] to me is completely unisex because I know it can be a boys name but I’ve only ever known girls be called it

1 Like

[name_u]Bryn[/name_u] (boy in UK, girl in US)
[name_u]Kenzie[/name_u] (boy in UK, girl in US)
[name_u]Harley[/name_u] (boy in UK, girl in US)

I’m not sure the data would support this but I’ve only met females named [name_u]Kirby[/name_u] here in the US but I think it’s predominently male in the UK.
In the 80s/90s, [name_u]Jamie[/name_u] was more girl in the US and more boy in the UK. Now it is more popular for boys in both places, I believe.

I have a female cousin named [name_f]Ashleigh[/name_f], I didn’t even know it could be used on dudes until I watched [name_m]Castle[/name_m] and [name_m]Saw[/name_m] one of the dudes was named [name_u]Ashley[/name_u]. I actually prefer it on guys I have [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] [name_u]James[/name_u] on my list for a son.