Names that bug you, or names you're sick of hearing?

Also, the middle names of [name]Rose[/name], and [name]Marie[/name].
SO cliche and unoriginal.
I love the sound of [name]Marie[/name] very much, but I’d never use it.
Plus every girl I’ve ever met with some form of the name [name]Mary[/name] in hers, has been miserable, or had some traumatic experience.

The middle name of [name]Nicole[/name], is starting to bother me too. Although I love the name so much, and would’ve used it for a daughter’s middle name, I refuse to now.
I’d use [name]Nicolette[/name], though.

I also greatly dislike the name of [name]Atticus[/name].
I do not see the appeal at all.

I agree with so many of these:

[name]Rose[/name]: way overused and I don’t see the appeal at all
[name]Nicole[/name]: maybe it’s just my area but it seems like every scummy person I meet is named [name]Nicole[/name]
[name]Kylee[/name]/[name]Kayla[/name]/[name]Kyla[/name], etc: these drive me absolutely nuts. I really don’t like K names.
[name]Olive[/name]: I think olives are disgusting and it reminds me of them
[name]Jasmine[/name]: only works for a Disney character
[name]Neveah[/name]: I’m surprised the Pope didn’t single this name out as blasphemous. yuck.
[name]Aiden[/name]/[name]Jayden[/name]: so many people have already expressed this one. I feel like I hear one of these names every day
[name]Mary[/name]/[name]Marie[/name]: so common as a middle name here in the Northeast. I never ever heard it when I lived in the south. Too religious for me.
[name]Jessica[/name]: so outdated

I wish I could think of more because it feels so good to get this out!

OH GOSH. I couldn’t have said any of that better myself, I agree with every little bit and laughed my ass off, except the first part. I grew up having at least 6 other [name]Christine[/name]/[name]Cristina[/name]/[name]Christina[/name]/[name]Kristina[/name]/[name]Krystina[/name]'s in my class every other year and I was born in the early 80s. I don’t know how it happens, maybe its a freak coincidence, but somehow I was plagued by others with the same name, haunting me until college.

Put my name on the list of people who are sick to death of [name]Aiden[/name] and its many off-shoots. In my own extended family there is a [name]Brayden[/name] and a two Haydens. Yuk, yuk, yuk.

I hate to sound like a snob but to me some names are just trashy - [name]Chrystal[/name]/[name]Crystal[/name]/Christle, [name]Savannah[/name], [name]Tiffany[/name], [name]Renee[/name].

I think the names [name]Josephine[/name], [name]Clementine[/name], [name]Olive[/name], and [name]Abigail[/name] are ugly.

For boys I really don’t like [name]Henry[/name] though it’s becoming quite popular. Not a good name in my view.

I agree - I hate the name [name]Nicole[/name]. I’ve never met a nice one. Especially where I live, it’s so common, and it doesn’t describe me at all! That’s why I want to change my name. :lol:

I agree - I hate the name [name]Nicole[/name]. I’ve never met a nice one. Especially where I live, it’s so common, and it doesn’t describe me at all! That’s why I want to change my name. :lol:

I absolutely detest that name! I know two people with a [name]Nevaeh[/name]. One is Angelesse [name]Nevaeh[/name]. It makes me shudder too.

I also don’t like those names that sound like verbal diarrhea. They just fall out of your mouth. Like [name]Blair[/name]. It’s just so… Blah.

Overly girly names that sound as if the parents were in such adoration of their baby girl that they couldn’t contain themselves
(think [name]Arabella[/name] [name]Molly[/name] [name]Grace[/name] as a full name)

I’m a bit sick of (but at least they’re better than the names that were around in my childhood)
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Isabella[/name]
[name]Olivia[/name]
[name]Lily[/name]
[name]Sophie[/name]
[name]Evie[/name]

[name]Charlie[/name]
[name]William[/name]
[name]Lucas[/name]

Sorry!

I’m suprised so many people dislike [name]Olive[/name]! It’s definitely a contender on our list, mostly because of the great nn [name]Liv[/name], which I adore. It might be climbing higher since it doesn’t seem to be a popular favorite :slight_smile:

Any misspelled name is the worst, no matter the reason or the sound. Spelling her name [name]Alivia[/name] isn’t going to make the uber-popular (and admittedly very pretty) name unique. Also, why ruin a perfectly good name with a random, useless Y? And misspelled word or place name, like Irelyn? Well… it just makes you look dumb. Sorry.

Specifics I just don’t like-
Boys: [name]Miles[/name], [name]Logan[/name], [name]Lucas[/name]/[name]Luke[/name], [name]Jackson[/name]/[name]Jaxon[/name], [name]Austin[/name], [name]Evan[/name], [name]Preston[/name]
Girls: Mc-Anything, [name]Addison[/name], [name]Peyton[/name], [name]Lyla[/name], [name]Kennedy[/name], most of the cutesy -lee names like [name]Riley[/name], Shylee, [name]Brynlee[/name] (a name a good friend is strongly considering, sigh), [name]Hailey[/name]/[name]Bailey[/name], [name]Avery[/name] (though I like this on a boy), Gracelyn (grr!)

Names I’m sick of hearing;
[name]Ava[/name]
[name]Lily[/name]
[name]Abigail[/name]
[name]Emma[/name]
[name]Sophie[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Olivia[/name]
[name]Grace[/name]
[name]Rose[/name]
[name]Kaylee[/name]
[name]Hailey[/name]
[name]Nicole[/name]
[name]Ella[/name]/[name]Elle[/name]/[name]Ellie[/name]
[name]Jessica[/name]

Names I hate and just don’t get the appeal of;
[name]Catherine[/name]
[name]Chloe[/name]
[name]Renee[/name]
[name]Gisele[/name]
[name]Crystal[/name]
[name]Veronica[/name]
[name]Sarah[/name]
[name]Audrey[/name]
[name]Zoe[/name]
[name]Tiffany[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Angelina[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Paige[/name]
[name]Kylie[/name]
[name]Anastasia[/name]
[name]Gianna[/name]
[name]Naomi[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]

[name]Nevaeh[/name]. I think that it is soo awful (sorry no offense to anyone!). I think that if people wanted to name their daughter’s after [name]Heaven[/name], that [name]Heaven[/name] itself would be a better choice.

My cousin was about to have her baby and people were posting name suggestions on Facebook-[name]Olivia[/name]! [name]Isabella[/name] [name]Grace[/name]![name]Emma[/name]! :? Seriously? That’s like going back to 1982 and saying ,“Hey! I have a brilliant idea. Name her [name]Jennifer[/name] [name]Ann[/name]!” Did people really think that the names [name]Isabella[/name], [name]Olivia[/name] and [name]Emma[/name] never crossed her mind until they suggested it? [name]How[/name] is it that people do not know that these names are EVERYWHERE?!?!
Rant over. :oops:

I’m also sick of hearing ridiculously made up names. NZ is full of them! We’ve had a little babies called [name]Talula[/name] does the Hula from [name]Hawaii[/name], Number 16 Bus Shelter, and Zealand New. I’m not kidding, these were seriously children’s names. That is, until the courts overruled them… :shock:

I wonder that, too! I guess lots of people don’t do their research before naming their child…

I just love names that feel “fresh,” so I’m not a fan of all the Makaylahs, Mikynzees, Braydens, etc. that all start to sound essentially the same, nor “dated” names like [name]Jennifer[/name], [name]Patricia[/name], [name]Florence[/name], etc. that are associated with a particular generation still present in contemporary society. I also don’t like names that seem like the onomastic equivalent of choking on a large quantity of flowery perfume - [name]Evangeline[/name], [name]Clementine[/name], [name]Wilhelmina[/name] etc. I prefer spunky names that could work on a tomboy or a girly-girl, like [name]Phoebe[/name], [name]Ivy[/name], [name]Aviva[/name], etc. Although I do have a soft spot for some “softer” names like [name]Athalia[/name] and [name]Linnea[/name] - probably as middles. For boys, I dislike the tryndees as well as formal, effeminate-sounding/looking names such as [name]Luca[/name], [name]Sebastian[/name], [name]Dashiell[/name], etc - makes me think of someone in velvet with tights and a doublet. I like boy’s names that sound different and maybe a little intellectual, like [name]Tobin[/name], [name]Orson[/name], or Allister (too bad he’d probably be called [name]Ally[/name]…)

Names I’m tired of hearing include…

Boys:
[name]Hudson[/name]
[name]Atticus[/name]
[name]Aiden[/name]
[name]Jameson[/name]
[name]Liam[/name]
[name]Cash[/name]
[name]Dashiell[/name]
[name]Caleb[/name]
[name]Gavin[/name]

Girls:
[name]Scarlet[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]
[name]Sophie[/name]
Kirra (and variants)
[name]Elle[/name]
[name]Olivia[/name]
[name]Ava[/name]
[name]Avery[/name]
[name]Emily[/name]
[name]Isabella[/name]/[name]Bella[/name]

They just feel exhausted to me.

I also don’t like names that seem like the onomastic equivalent of choking on a large quantity of flowery perfume

This is the best thing I’ve ever read on Nameberry. Thank you.

[name]Arabella[/name], [name]Eliana[/name], [name]Evangeline[/name], etc. - I’m not sure why I hate these while I love [name]Genevieve[/name], [name]Cordelia[/name], and [name]Helena[/name]. I think it may be because ([name]IMO[/name]) the names that define this characteristic the most have at least 3 of the following 4 characteristics. They are: 1) very long, 2) mostly vowels, often the undefined kind that make the “uh” sound, and soft consonants, 3) have little to no history, and 4) allude to something uberfeminine within the name itself - “angel” in [name]Evangeline[/name], “bella” (“beautiful”) in [name]Arabella[/name], etc. Thus, [name]Helena[/name] (for me) is saved by its long history and relatively short length; [name]Genevieve[/name] by its strong consonants and history; [name]Cordelia[/name] by the same. But [name]Olivia[/name] and [name]Ariana[/name] can bite me.

But [name]Olivia[/name] and [name]Ariana[/name] can bite me. LOL

I do believe that there are only so many names that you can name your children before they are duplicated so I hope that you will name your baby the name that you fell in love with duplicated or not such a very personal decision for each and every one of us in spite od the fact that you heard the name 1or 1,000times

eaane every one of us

I do believe that there are only so many names that you can name your children before they are duplicated so I hope that you will name your baby the name that you fell in love with duplicated or not such a very personal decision for each and every one of us in spite od the fact that you heard the name 1or 1,000times

eaane every one of us