Names that don't exist irl used for characters

What are your opinions on using names that don’t exist in the real world for characters?

Some of my characters are part of an alien species, and since they aren’t human, I use made-up names for a lot of them. What do you guys think of stuff like that? Not for using them on real people of course, just for characters. I think it’s more creative and fun, plus it makes sense since they’re not from [name_f]Earth[/name_f] and wouldn’t know of familiar names we people use.

[name_f]Do[/name_f] any of you guys do this too? What kind of unusual names have you come up with?

Some examples of the funky names I gave some of my characters: Scairneall (pronounced like scare-niel :P), Daemox (day-mox), and Verezu. I also used some names that do exist, but are underused or unusual, like [name_m]Akuji[/name_m] and Adryel. :slight_smile:

I like made up names for characters

1 Like

It really depends on the genre, but what you’re using made-up names for makes complete sense! I would absolutely use some unusual names for this scenario.

Some of the ones I’m using for my fantasy novel is: Aldver, Racha, Cainon (although I think this is an actual name).
I had a different fantasy book in the past where I used; Gavasanta (Gava for short), Salacia, and Orvair

Good luck with your writing!

1 Like

It makes sense for an alien race to have made-up names!
In a book I read once, all members of an alien race had three-syllable names ending in a vowel. I think using a rule like that is a cool way to tie made up names together!
[name_f]My[/name_f] characters have “real” names but it’s probably because of the genre.

I kinda hate when authors do that.
For one thing, a lot of them have pronunciation issues. Unless you’re going to tell your readers that Scairneall is scare-niel, that’s difficult.
Also, for some reason, they just give me a headache.

However, with aliens, I think it’s kinda necessary- it wouldn’t make sense for there to be an alien named [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]. But maybe very unique real-world names could work, or made-up names that have resemblance to typical human name patterns.

I do like made up names for characters! But there’s also a fine line between something easily pronounceable and Snahg4rguhieua the fifty-seventh of iwohauil0qIJ, y’know?

I like it when using a made-up name makes sense. I do agree with @dogs_books though that the names should have resemblance to typical name patterns. That would make it easier on your reader.

I think using made up names is totally okay! I’m working on a script right now that also features aliens and they all have made up names too. Mine are called Cerisa, Fælla, Elvian, Opalin, Dulit, Zavrel & Slavor who are brothers, Gorlyth, and Emeiri.

Yep, I don’t mind it either. As long as it makes sense contextually. I don’t have any made-up names, but I have some names that are more out-there in a story I’m working on set 100 years in the future.