Names that feel more popular than they are

What names feel like top 5 or top 10 names to you even if they technically are not.

For example, I consider [name]Charlotte[/name] as if it’s a top 5 name, even though it’s not even top 20.

Names that feel as popular as the top 5 to me:

Girls:

[name]Charlotte[/name] (27)
[name]Violet[/name] (101)
[name]Lily[/name] (15)
[name]Scarlett[/name] (80)

Boys:

[name]Oliver[/name] (78)

[name]How[/name] about you? What names feel to you like they are a top 5 name even though they aren’t?

This is a great thread and I’ll be interested in the results. I’m surprised [name]Violet[/name] is as low as it is, but I see it growing.

[name]Elijah[/name] (13). I seriously have come across, met, or know at least 25 Elijahs, it’s just mad. I love the name, but I doubt I’d use it as a FN because of its overuse in my area. And it’s even ranked lower in my state than nationwide (26 as opposed to 13!), which I don’t get at all, lol! You’d think that I would actually know more kids with top-10 names rather than [name]Elijah[/name], but this is the big one.

[name]Autumn[/name] (69). I think it’s just a thing in my church, though, honestly. I think six of the 10 or so Autumns I know are members of my denomination. Most are within my state, although I know one in [name]Canada[/name] and one in the UK. It ranks number 56 in my state, so that makes a bit more sense, but I would think it would rank higher, considering how many I know!

[name]Cora[/name] (204!). Seriously! I don’t get it. I adore [name]Cora[/name], but I’ve met at least 8, not all spelled the same way, but still. Why does my state love [name]Cora[/name] so much?! It ranks 195 as opposed to 204 here, but that’s not that big of a difference!

[name]Francisco[/name] (211). I think this is just among the heavy Latino population in the city, but I’ve honestly come across 6-7 Franciscos/Francescas in the past year. Which puzzles me even more, because its national popularity is double that of my state (425), and yet I still know so many.

Those are the main ones, I think. :slight_smile:

[name]Aurora[/name]! (183) I’ve met like six…also [name]Eli[/name], although I think that that is ranked higher…

I second [name]Charlotte[/name], it is everywhere so I am very happy we went with [name]Claire[/name] instead 2.5 years ago. Some others I meet constantly are:

[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Anderson[/name]
[name]Luke[/name]
[name]Owen[/name]
[name]Hannah[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name]

[name]Carter[/name] - every little boy I meet is a [name]Carter[/name]
[name]Bailey[/name] - saw two at the preschool today. Granted, one mother had spelled it the vomit-inducing [name]Baylee[/name], but it still counted to me
[name]Stella[/name] - Half the people I went to college with have a girl with this name
[name]Ella[/name] - I know it’s number 12, but sometimes I get the feeling parents are patting themselves on the back for choosing it over [name]Emma[/name], all while it soars up the charts.

I know 4 little [name]Zoe[/name]'s, family and friends.

At playgrounds I seem to hear [name]Maya[/name] very often.

Boys I am hearing more of lately are [name]Owen[/name] and [name]Gabriel[/name].

Where I live [name]Alexis[/name], [name]Owens[/name] (not sure if [name]Owen[/name] is top ten or not) and Cowens are everywhere.

I too hear [name]Maya[/name] and [name]Mia[/name] everywhere!

Well, I think that [name]Charlotte[/name] for sure does. I bet it will be in the top 10 very soon. I’m kind of surprised that [name]Violet[/name] is already about to crack the top 100. I don’t know that I realized it was that high up. I feel like I hear [name]Audrey[/name] a whole lot. [name]Amelia[/name] is getting there. I agree with [name]Elijah[/name]. I hear it very often. [name]Asher[/name]! I hear it talked about a lot, but then I guess it doesn’t end up getting used. [name]Sophie[/name] does sometimes because of [name]Sophia[/name], unfortunately. [name]Leah[/name], [name]Bella[/name] (b/c of [name]Isabella[/name]), [name]Makayla[/name]. I feel this way about girls names more than boys, obviously :). [name]Both[/name] [name]Audrey[/name] and [name]Leah[/name] have been used by multiple friends, so I do hear those two names more than most others.

[name]August[/name]. I know it’s ranked at 398 but I know so many couples who are considering it and I just meet two toddlers with that name (both mn but who go by [name]August[/name] or [name]Gus[/name].) That it weirds me out a bit. Maybe some of these names feel like they are more popular than they actually because we are more attuned to them - either because we love or hate them so much.

[name]Cecilia[/name] (I know so many little Ceces all of a sudden!)
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Lilah[/name]

[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Sebastian[/name]
[name]Thomas[/name]

[name]Ella[/name], [name]Elle[/name], [name]Ellie[/name],
[name]Ethan[/name], [name]Grayson[/name]

In my town, it’s: [name]Ivy[/name] (266), [name]Claudia[/name] (609), [name]Genesis[/name] (82), [name]Rose[/name] (291), [name]Jasmine[/name]/[name]Yasmin[/name] (74/662), [name]Fernando[/name] (208), [name]Isaiah[/name] (43), and [name]Diego[/name] (99). Those names are everywhere here among the little kids.

[name]Lilah[/name]! They’re all over the place in [name]Florida[/name]. Also [name]Ella[/name], [name]Luke[/name]/[name]Lucas[/name], and [name]Lily[/name].

[name]Lydia[/name]! I’ve known three, which is a shame because I love it so. Also [name]Leah[/name] ([name]LEE[/name]-ah), [name]Hannah[/name], [name]Anna[/name], and [name]Claire[/name]. Oh, and [name]Kate[/name]/[name]Cate[/name]/[name]Katie[/name]! All the variations on this name might as well be #1, I’ve known so many.