Names That Make You Cringe?

I have no idea! It’s my boy version of [name]Ramona[/name], a name I can’t stand and I have no idea why. i just don’t like the sound.

Ohh virtue names usually make me cringe too! They eitherseem stuffy & uptight or hooker/stripper-esque or just like you’re tempting fate…for example [name]Justice[/name] the criminal, [name]Temperance[/name] the alcoholic, [name]Chastity[/name] the tramp…

Also names like [name]Cash[/name], [name]Diamond[/name], [name]Mercedes[/name], [name]Porsche[/name],[name]Bentley[/name], [name]Lux[/name], anything desperately trying to sound like money is just so cringe worthy to me!

persephone.

My little sister once mispronounced it Purse-phone (like telephone) and now I can’t get that out of my head.

I knew a trampy [name]Chastity[/name] as well!

I cringe whenever I hear a made up aley/aleigh name.
On Toddlers and Tiaras, I heard a Chaley/ Chaleigh. Eek!
I’m fine with [name]Kayley[/name], [name]Hayley[/name], and [name]Baylee[/name], but anything else is pushing it.

You mean like Zaeley? lol

Why [name]Flynn[/name]? [name]Just[/name] curious. I have a [name]Flynn[/name]. (Not offended, again, just curious:))

I don’t like most of the [name]Ayden[/name] names, but I don’t necessarily cringe at them… except one…

[name]Brayden[/name].

I don’t know why, but it’s the worst for me.

Oh, yes I don’t like the sound of the name [name]Brayden[/name] either. I think it’s because it has “bray”, and makes me think of donkeys.

It sounds like something that comes out of the nose, like phlegm…

I’m gonna jump on the [name]Nevaeh[/name]-hatin’ bandwagon. [name]One[/name] of my best friends LOVES that name and I am just like, “please don’t ever have a girl.” IT IS SO DUMB. People have de-friended for less.

I loathe all morality names a la [name]Chastity[/name], [name]Faith[/name], [name]Grace[/name], [name]Charity[/name], [name]Destiny[/name]. Blech blech blech!! Except [name]Amity[/name]. For some reason, that one is okay with me.

Old lady bus driver names like [name]Bertha[/name] and [name]Gertrude[/name]. Pity the precious child who gets that name assigned to her for life.

I’m with everyone on the -aden names. And I cannot stand alternative, ass-backwards spellings. Dumb. Why do you have to spell it [name]Kaedyn[/name]? [name]Just[/name], for the love of everyone, spell it [name]Kaden[/name] or even [name]Kadyn[/name]. Whatever.

This is totally nitpicky and they aren’t “cringeworthy” in the least (for the most part), I just am not a fan of extremely girly-girl names like [name]Arabella[/name] and [name]Seraphina[/name] (let’s just go ahead and add on the flower names to this category). They’re a little too Upper [name]East[/name] Side for my taste, but to each her own. Same goes for the real dandy-sounding boys names like [name]Percy[/name] and [name]Cecil[/name].

If I mention anyone’s name or name crush in this post, I’m so sorry. These are just my personal associations.

Names that have unflattering meanings: [name]Cecilia[/name] (blind), [name]Claudia[/name] (lame), [name]Cameron[/name] (bent nose). They irk me, because it feels like the parents didn’t care enough about the naming process to do their research. This applies to unfortunate nicknames as well: [name]Dick[/name]. Nuff said.

[name]Cross[/name]-gender names. Sorry. I can do unisex, but being a girl myself with a decidedly boys’ name, I just cringe for little girls named [name]Jared[/name] and [name]Micah[/name] and [name]Dylan[/name] and [name]Emerson[/name] or boys named [name]Meredith[/name] and [name]Dana[/name] and [name]Ashley[/name] (I do understand that these were traditionally male names that were stolen by the girls, but most people don’t know that, and a male [name]Ashley[/name] is going to have like six female Ashleys in his school, so he’s going to get teased just the same).

Names that seem overly trendy and/or over-the-top “edgy”. Inspektor being a good obvious example. Also [name]Kale[/name] (really? She does realize her child is one day going to ask her why she essentially named him Lettuce). [name]Cain[/name], [name]Bandit[/name], [name]Rocket[/name], [name]Rebel[/name], [name]Breaker[/name], [name]Crash[/name] (just asking for punishment in the terrible twos); the -aydens; [name]Jax[/name]/[name]Dax[/name]/[name]Pax[/name], Xenon, [name]Jaxon[/name], [name]Lennox[/name], X-etera; [name]McKenzie[/name], [name]McKinley[/name], and the other Mickeys.

Names I have taken an irrational dislike to: [name]Beatrix[/name] (I don’t understand the attraction, it just seems so harsh to me), [name]Clementine[/name] (it’s a fruit, and a caterwauling old western), [name]Imogen[/name] (I honestly don’t have a good reason for this one…it just rubs me wrong), [name]Remus[/name]/[name]Lemuel[/name]/[name]Rufus[/name] etc (where I’m from these names are too frequently found on slimy, gap-toothed rednecks for me to be able to appreciate their rugged history), [name]Elliot[/name] (I think it’s because of the villain in a book I read…I just forever see the whites of crazy eyes when I hear this name O.o).

[name]Angelica[/name], [name]Johanna[/name], Kareesha (and similar names), [name]Deanna[/name], [name]Heaven[/name], [name]Sky[/name], [name]Diamond[/name], [name]Nevaeh[/name], [name]Apple[/name], [name]Blue[/name]…

I feel sorry for so many kids for what their parents named them…

I always thought [name]Mildred[/name] was the worst name ever when I was a child. [name]Haven[/name]'t grown out of that opinion. I’m also going to echo the previous poster with my dislike for [name]Diamond[/name] and [name]Precious[/name].

Some names I agree with that pp mentioned:
[name]Veronica[/name] (it’s nicknames are really horrible, but the full name sound bugs me too)
[name]Maverick[/name]
[name]Jayden[/name] (and cousins)
[name]Nevaeh[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Brandy[/name]
[name]Chastity[/name]
[name]Destiny[/name]
[name]McKenzie[/name]

I’m not sure there are any I can add…

Ha ha ha! Did you make up Xenon and X-etera or do you really know people with those names? Please tell me you made them up. I don’t think I can go to sleep thinking these are names that an actual child has to live with. On another note, I’m with you on all your irrational dislikes (especially [name]Beatrix[/name] – I just don’t get the “x”; [name]Beatrice[/name], I think, is beautiful, but [name]Beatrix[/name] … I don’t know just sounds wrong), except [name]Elliot[/name]. I love [name]Elliot[/name]! Not for myself … but in general as a name. :slight_smile:

I’ve seen Xenon in birth announcements in a newspaper, so sadly that one isn’t made up.

[name]Mildred[/name], [name]Gertrude[/name], [name]Ethel[/name], [name]Valaria[/name] (reminds me of Malaria), [name]Imogen[/name], and [name]Brooklyn[/name] (I don’t know why, I hate it). Also I hate when people give their kids normal names and they horribly misspell them like Izabelah and the like.

[name]Amanda[/name] and [name]Annalise[/name]

I’m pretty sure X-etera was a play on et cetera, but referring specifically to X names.