Names that only work if girl is pretty

I know this is kind of harsh, but are there certain names you like but only if the girl is pretty? Two that come to mind for me are:

[name]Audrey[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]

In other words, you would not want to be an ugly or even average looking [name]Audrey[/name], but could get away with being, say, an ugly or average-looking [name]Caroline[/name] or [name]Elizabeth[/name]. Am i the only one who thinks like this?

It tends to be unusual, slightly dated names, which can only be carried off if the girl is not necessarily pretty, but very cool - Ermengarde (I love this one), and things along the line of [name]Edith[/name].

Well, I do kinda know what you are talking about. For me it is more like names that are either really raunchy or ultra feminine. Like if you name a girl [name]Billy[/name] [name]Joe[/name]([name]Just[/name] an example would never use this), and she is not so pretty she is destined for hill-billy town but if u name a really pretty girl this it becomes more of a southern belle kinda name. So i think you are right to a point.

[name]Una[/name]
[name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Maude[/name]

For me, it’s names at either extreme that deserve caution, such as [name]Aurora[/name], [name]Ambrosia[/name], [name]Agnes[/name], or [name]Agatha[/name].

I think the inverse. To me, an unattractive girl with a frilly name is all wrong. A [name]Marissa[/name] or [name]Anastasia[/name] with acne and buck teeth is like a cruel joke.

that or something really flirtatious, like [name]Laila[/name], [name]Roxie[/name], [name]Lulu[/name], etc would be difficult.
Then there are the names that literally mean pretty–I imagine it’d be hard to be an ugly [name]Belle[/name], for example.

I thought that too. My husband suggested [name]Bella[/name] but I said “what if she turns out ugly?!”

[name]Selma[/name]

I love this name but alot of people say she’d have to be very beautiful to pull this off.

A lot of uber feminine names need someone stunning to wear them. Also uncommon, graceful, fairylike names. [name]Seraphina[/name], Seraphie, [name]Aurelia[/name], [name]Lorelei[/name], [name]Genevieve[/name], [name]Beatrix[/name], [name]Callista[/name], [name]Daphne[/name], [name]Calliope[/name], [name]Persephone[/name], [name]Elodie[/name], [name]Saskia[/name], Sunniva. I love a lot of names that fall into those categories.

I love [name]Spencer[/name] and [name]Elliott[/name] for girls but I think they would have to be cute in order to pull it off.

Hmm, I don’t really think about appearance with names that much, honestly. And the more I know someone, the less I think about it. Some of the people who annoy me the most are beautiful, and some of my very best friends are, I guess you could say, not that pretty.

So I would substitute personality for looks in my mind. A great personality, not face, makes a name beautiful to me.

Yeah, I was gonna say… I have met some non-pretty people with pretty names and their name still fits. I used to have a female boss that looked like her name might be [name]Helga[/name], that’s what we called her behind her back. I can’t even remember her real name. That’s more like a character.

But another thing, any time I see someone who looks between 15-25yo, who is maybe a tomboy or nerdy in ways that make their appearance less attractive or superficially adorable, I make a bet to myself what her parents probably named her. She doesn’t look like an [name]Ashley[/name], but I bet that’s what her name is.

I rarely think a person’s name doesn’t fit them, no matter what they look like or what personality they have. In fact, I lean toward thinking the less attractive someone is, the more attractive their parents thought they’d be, if taste in names is any indicator. I know this is in the girls names category, but I especially think that of boys names.