Names that will NEVER make a comeback?

[name_f]Lolita[/name_f] “Lita” is a gorgeous name, the literary association is so unfortunate. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you know if she has ever had any troubles bearing that name?

Anyway, some names I don’t see making a comeback…

Names that are very tied to the 80s and 90s – think [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f], [name_f]Jessica[/name_f], [name_f]Melanie[/name_f], etc. [name_f]Lovely[/name_f] names, but I just don’t see them showing up at the top of the charts anytime in the next 100 years. Maybe beyond then, but I won’t be around to find out. :wink:

4 Likes

Why?

1 Like

Oh, I love [name_m]Gaylord[/name_m], but I hear you! :slight_smile:
[name_f]Walpurgis[/name_f] comes to mind.

I love [name_f]Melanie[/name_f], but I don’t think i’d actually use it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

ahh you never know
gertrude ‘gertie’ is actually kind of lovely

8 Likes

I knooow :sob: if it weren’t for that it’d be on my list. Even though I’m in a super large Hispanic community and am Hispanic myself that connection would be too much for me. It’s probably a tad easier to wear cause the ‘lita’ is usually put at the end of names as pet names or nicknames cause it means little, like Rosalita

I know, I lowkey love Gertie

4 Likes

I wouldn’t say a name sounds horrid. I think [name_f]Gertrude[/name_f] is quite sweet, and I love the nicknames [name_u]True[/name_u] or [name_f]Trudy[/name_f] :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Interesting. It has actually been rising in popularity in the 2000s, from #856 in 1995 to #370 now. I’d say it’s in style in the US! And I love it.

4 Likes

awww I didn’t even think of True! :revolving_hearts:

4 Likes

They are dated.

3 Likes

Each to their own. I just don’t find it appealing and it hasn’t had a comeback in decades.

Other names that come to mind are [name_u]Barry[/name_u], [name_u]Gary[/name_u], [name_m]Larry[/name_m] and [name_f]Hortensia[/name_f].

1 Like

[name_m]Add[/name_m] [name_f]Hortense[/name_f] to that.

[name_m]Cuthbert[/name_m] won’t be making a comeback any time soon either. In fact, probably all [name_u]Bert[/name_u] names save the more classic [name_m]Albert[/name_m] and [name_u]Robert[/name_u].

1 Like

Some of the “obvious” ones like Adolf, Gay, Isis. A lot of “dated” names could very well come back even if they don’t feel like it now.

I think, unless things change very dramatically in a Handmaid’s Tale fashion, some of the virtue names won’t be coming back. Obedience may have some pretty sounds but it would feel pretty oppressive on a girl now.

5 Likes

ian is a pretty common scottish name :slight_smile:
i know people of all ages called ian! it’s like our version of John.

4 Likes

I think names with obvious (bad) associations will never make a comeback but names like [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] and [name_m]Steve[/name_m] might make a comeback as ‘vintage’ in another 40 years or something (as the 100 year rule)

2 Likes

I don’t think she does. The reference is rather old and I don’t know how many people have read the book, though I know the association is still strong. I had to read it in college, but I was an [name_f]English[/name_f] major, so…

100 year rule, [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]. :slight_smile:

I thought of a couple more that are definitely NOT coming back:
[name_m]Colon[/name_m]
Hymen

4 Likes