Names that you don/t understand how they are so popular?

What are some names that you don’t know why are really popular?

I always kind of known that [name_f]Luna[/name_f] was popular, but I really do not know why! Probably cause of [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] or something, but still, there are no Lunas, Rubys, or [name_f]Stella[/name_f] in my school, so I really don’t get it.

[name_f]Ava[/name_f]. I prefer names with lots of nn possibilities.

[name_f]Olivia[/name_f]! Sorry to offend anyone :woman_facepalming:t3:

Honestly I’m just really not into [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] I don’t like how the prominent O sound rolls into the via it’s just awkward. I don’t mind names that are a mouthful my daughter is [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] (that’s a mouthful) but I just find [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] awkward to say and I don’t understand how that sound is so appealing to people. I also find [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] so obvious everyone and their wife is called [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]. I don’t mind popularity but for me I don’t understand why everyone loves [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] and why she is soooooo popular!!! I’m really not a fan. I also find it annoying when people pair [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] with a basic middle name like [name_f]Rose[/name_f] or [name_f]Grace[/name_f]. [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is so expected and I don’t know lacklustre to me I know so many [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] Rose’s including my OH niece. I obviously love my OH niece but her name isn’t my thing.

Whereas I do really like [name_f]Olive[/name_f] & [name_u]Oliver[/name_u] it’s just [name_f]Olivia[/name_f].

2 Likes

[name_f]Nevaeh[/name_f].

I don’t mean “omg what a terrible name!” I mean, what made it so popular? You mentioned [name_f]Luna[/name_f] and it completely make sense that the HP generation grew up bestowed it on their daughters. There could be other reasons obviously but it would make sense.

[name_f]Nevaeh[/name_f] just seemed to come from nowhere and then it was everywhere! Was it in a movie? Did a celebrity use it? I have no clue. People always point out the “heaven spelled backwards” bit but that doesn’t explain the popularity.

6 Likes

[name_u]Grayson[/name_u] & Brooklyn/Brooklynn

1 Like

I usually understand even if I wouldn’t use the name personally. Some peoples tastes are different! I am, how would you say…surprised, that [name_u]Brayden[/name_u] is as high as it is. Mostly because it means salmon, but also because of the way the sounds go together. I wonder what sent that name skyrocketing! Maybe a film connection? Who knows.

2 Likes

[name_f]Eliza[/name_f], like I kind of get why bc of [name_m]Hamilton[/name_m], but it’s just not my favorite nn for [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], or as a full name bc it looks in complete with me, where as [name_f]Beth[/name_f], looks complete to me, I have no idea why.

1 Like

sophia. it just doesn’t appeal to me. i don’t think it sounds particularly nice or looks pretty on paper. it’s just boring to me at this point, because i know so many little sophias. it’s ok, i don’t hate it, but i don’t get why it’s so much loved.

1 Like

In the UK, Teddy and Sonny. No offence to anyone who likes them, but to me they sound like “little boy” names rather than names that would suit an adult man. I have no idea why they’re in the top 100. Celebrity babies?

1 Like

from the American charts:

girls: [name_u]Addison[/name_u], [name_u]Avery[/name_u], [name_f]Eliana[/name_f], [name_u]Genesis[/name_u], [name_u]Kennedy[/name_u], [name_f]Kinsley[/name_f], [name_f]Mila[/name_f], [name_u]Skylar[/name_u], [name_f]Stella[/name_f]
boys: [name_u]Brooks[/name_u], [name_m]Colton[/name_m], [name_u]Easton[/name_u], [name_u]Jackson[/name_u], [name_u]Landon[/name_u], [name_u]Mason[/name_u], [name_u]Maverick[/name_u], [name_u]Parker[/name_u], [name_u]Wyatt[/name_u]

as you can see, I’m not a particularly massive fan of a lot of modern surname names!

2 Likes

I think [name_f]Luna[/name_f] only started getting really popular lately, so the [name_f]Luna[/name_f] wave is probably just starting preschool or kindergarten around now. Give it 10 years!

For me, it’s the slightly old-fashioned classics (if that’s not too much of a misnomer!)

[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Emma[/name_f]
[name_f]Hannah[/name_f]
[name_u]Maria[/name_u]

[name_u]Daniel[/name_u]
[name_u]David[/name_u]
[name_u]Michael[/name_u]
[name_u]Charles[/name_u]

For the record, I like all of these names. But they’re all Top 100 and I never ever meet any of them!

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] biggest beef is when a girl’s name becomes “popular,” parents then have to go out of their way with bizarre spellings.

[name_f]My[/name_f] daughter was named [name_f]Caitlin[/name_f] for a number of reasons, including Celtic heritage and a family member named [name_f]Katarine[/name_f]. After DeGrassi High, the US became full of Caitlins, all with weird spellings.

As a teacher, I can’t tell you how many varations of [name_f]Brittany[/name_f], [name_f]Briana[/name_f], and Ashley/Aislinn I have seen.

Why?

2 Likes

I still don’t understand why [name_f]Kaitlyn[/name_f] is such a popular spelling. I see it way more than any other spelling.

[name_f]Caitlin[/name_f], I understand. It’s classic. And I can understand [name_f]Katelyn[/name_f], since it’s just [name_f]Kate[/name_f] + [name_u]Lyn[/name_u]. But [name_f]Kaitlyn[/name_f] just seems like a weird middle ground that isn’t quite as good.

I have a lot of names that are worthy of criticism so I hope I don’t tick someone off.

I don’t get the popularity of [name_f]Elle[/name_f] / [name_f]Ella[/name_f]. It’s so…plain? I don’t know. I just don’t get the appeal.

Maeve, Violet, Astrid and Hazel for girls. I don’t think they sound very appealing.
Axel, Atlas, Grey and Onyx for boys.

Some of these aren’t actually high on naming charts, but I hear them mentioned a lot as trendy names.

[name_m]Matteo[/name_m]. It’s extremely popular where I live, and I don’t understand why. I don’t particularly like it, but apart from that, I genuinely don’t understand the appeal. What’s wrong with [name_m]Matthias[/name_m] or [name_m]Mathis[/name_m] (also popular, but [name_m]Matteo[/name_m] has overtaken them both). Maybe it’s the -o ending.

And for girls, [name_u]Marie[/name_u]. It sounds so old-fashioned and inelegant compared to [name_u]Maria[/name_u]. I don’t understand why so many people prefer it.

For girls I think [name_f]Mila[/name_f] is the biggest ones that I just don’t understand. It doesn’t sound appealing to me personally, I’m not sure if people are just big fans of [name_f]Mila[/name_f] Kunis or if I missed something where this became pop culture relevant?

For boys [name_u]Ezra[/name_u] and [name_m]Enzo[/name_m] I just don’t find appealing so not sure what made them so popular

1 Like

Names that are mostly vowels. I’m waiting for AEIOU to become a #1 hit!

Give me some good strong consonants any day!

1 Like

[name_f]Amelia[/name_f] and [name_u]Piper[/name_u]. I know so many Amelias and two even share the same middle name. I’m not a fan of frilly names and since some of the Amelias I’ve known carry a pretty negative vibe I just cannot get behind this name at all.

As for [name_u]Piper[/name_u] I just really don’t like the sound, and I don’t know why it suddenly gained so much popularity.

1 Like