Names that you like in one accent and dislike in another?

I’m from the US and I find names when said with different accents so fascinating.

So I’m wondering: are there certain names you love when said in a certain accent and dislike when said in another?

1 Like

Clara with a British accent sounds lovely, American not that much.

5 Likes

[name_f]Tatiana[/name_f] sounds lovely in a Russian accent, but my accent makes it sound awful.

[name_f]Harriet[/name_f] sounds nice in a British accent, but I don’t like the “hairy” sound that Americans pronounce it with.

ETA: I remembered another one! Esther sounds beautiful in an Israeli accent but I don’t like it in my accent.

1 Like

I hate it when people pronounce [name_u]Harry[/name_u] like hairy. Or [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] like EL-oh-en, I definitely prefer the el-OH-en pronunciation.
Also, [name_f]Athena[/name_f]! The Greek pronunciation is ah-thee-NAH, which I like much more than ah-THEE-nah.

1 Like

There are a few names I prefer in British accents as opposed to American:

Harriet
[name_f]Sophie[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosie[/name_f]
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Carrie[/name_f]
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]

Jared in any American or Canadian accent sounds great but I don’t like it in any British accents.

1 Like

Laura sounds so much better in a [name_m]German[/name_m] accent than American

1 Like

Out of curiosity, by “American” accents do you guys mean Midwest American? Or some other regional accent?

I do prefer ar/er/arr/err and similar names (as in [name_f]Mary[/name_f], [name_f]Harriet[/name_f], [name_f]Erin[/name_f], and [name_m]Terrance[/name_m] - but especially “arr” names like [name_f]Harriet[/name_f] or [name_f]Carrie[/name_f]) said with a British or [name_u]East[/name_u] Coast American accent. I also tend to prefer names with the “er” sound (as in [name_m]Herbert[/name_m] or [name_f]Kirsten[/name_f]) said with a British accent.

2 Likes

I like the name [name_f]Sienna[/name_f] in a British accent, but not so much in mine

1 Like

A lot of Spanish-language / Latinx names. Such as:

Lourdes
[name_f]Adelaida[/name_f]
[name_f]Pilar[/name_f]
[name_f]Luz[/name_f]
[name_f]Teresa[/name_f]
[name_f]Julia[/name_f] / [name_f]Juliana[/name_f]
[name_f]Josefina[/name_f]
[name_f]Marisol[/name_f]
Andréa

Jose
[name_u]Angel[/name_u]
Martín
[name_m]Antonio[/name_m]

(Note: I know some of these are widely used names outside of Spanish-speaking communities; I just prefer them as they’re spoken in Spanish)

3 Likes

Blanche - like with [name_u]French[/name_u] pronunciation with sound “sh” the same with [name_f]Fleur[/name_f].

1 Like

Also [name_u]Piper[/name_u]. Sounds very cute in American accent but a bit odd anywhere else.

Everything that isn’t originally Norwegian sounds horrible in a Norwegian accent. :woman_facepalming:t3:

Came here to say this! [name_f]Claire[/name_f]-a is perfectly nice but to me feels like [name_f]Claire[/name_f] with an a tacked on rather than its own name. I’m American but I pronounce [name_f]Clara[/name_f] the British way because I much prefer it.

The interesting thing is though that people here will pronounce some names the British way if they’re referencing a character, but not all. If my friends who watch [name_u]Doctor[/name_u] Who reference [name_f]Clara[/name_f] their normally very Midwestern American accents suddenly pronounce her name the British way. But nobody here ever says [name_u]Harry[/name_u] the British way when referencing [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m].

I could be wrong (@lumosmaxima or others, feel free to correct me!), but I think [name_u]Harry[/name_u] is pretty much the same in a [name_u]New[/name_u] [name_m]York[/name_m] accent as it is in a British accent!

1 Like

I only like [name_u]Angel[/name_u] if it’s said in Spanish like ahn-hel.

2 Likes

This exactly.

@w8src & @midwinter [name_u]Harry[/name_u] here is HA (as in hat) ree! I think they’re similar! [name_u]Harry[/name_u] and Hairy are very different, at least!

3 Likes

Definitely [name_u]Harry[/name_u]. I think [name_u]Harry[/name_u] is adorable with the UK accent. it just sounds like hairy in the US :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

I will always be sad I cannot use my precious [name_f]Isolde[/name_f]. We Americans just can’t do it justice, and many think it is pronounced “I sold” :frowning: