Names that you love - on someone else!

What are names that you really love, but not for your own child? Also, what are some names that you love for other people around your age, but not for you?

[name]Hope[/name] you all are having a great day, especially [name]Josie[/name] who I think is about to have twins!
[name]Susan[/name]

The names I love, but not for my own children are:

Girls:
[name]Beatrice[/name] - I love [name]Beatrice[/name], but it was my aunt’s name. She was just awful!
[name]Caroline[/name] - this is one of my very faves, but I can’t think of a nn I like for it. Maybe I would invent one, like [name]Coco[/name].
[name]Imogen[/name] - I don’t know, I wouldn’t want to say this every day.
[name]Iris[/name] - I’m worried that my daughter wouldn’t like it.
[name]Penelope[/name] - this is one of my fave names, but I don’t like it with my last name.
[name]Stella[/name] - I really love [name]Stella[/name], but it seems so flamboyant!
[name]Winifred[/name] - I’d be worried that my daughter wouldn’t like it.

Boys:
[name]August[/name] - see [name]Dashiell[/name]
[name]Dashiell[/name] - my husband would never go for it.
[name]Jasper[/name] - ditto

Names other women have that I love but wouldn’t want for me:

[name]Becky[/name] - I am wary of names that sound anything like [name]Debbie[/name] (my nn when I was growing up), but [name]Becky[/name] is really darling. [name]Love[/name] [name]Rebecca[/name] so much.
I wouldn’t want to have any name that ends in “y” or “ie” because my last name ends in “ey”. Plus it feels empowering to me to have a name that ends in “n”. I was the baby of the family, and everyone treated me like a baby. I got tired of it, so it’s fun to have a very no-nonsense name like [name]Susan[/name].

Great question, [name]Susan[/name]!

A lot of popular names fall into this category for me:

[name]Sophia[/name] - it devastates me that this is so popular but I still love it on other people
[name]Ava[/name] - same
[name]Elizabeth[/name] - just too many nicknames for me
[name]Cecilia[/name] - too hissy for me personally but I find it charming on others
[name]Georgia[/name] -
[name]Astrid[/name] - takes guts that I don’t have
[name]Hazel[/name] - bad relative connatation
[name]Violet[/name] - I don’t know why I wouldn’t use it but I love hearing it on other people
[name]Grace[/name] - my husband’s a pastor and wants to avoid “[name]Christian[/name]-y” names
[name]Josephine[/name] - my sister’s already claimed this one so I wouldn’t use it but I [name]LOVE[/name] it

[name]Cooper[/name] - I don’t love the last names trend, but I find this cute
[name]William[/name] - doesn’t work with my last name
[name]Walter[/name] - same
[name]Edward[/name]/[name]Edison[/name] - bad relative connatation
[name]George[/name] - [name]LOVE[/name] this on other kids
[name]Peter[/name] - my husband doesn’t like it

[name]Bridget[/name]
[name]Evangeline[/name] (lovely but too much of a mouthful, and I don’t like nns)
[name]Finley[/name]
[name]Benjamin[/name] (much too popular)
[name]Autumn[/name]

there’s probably more, but my brain is on a vacation right now :slight_smile:

Great topic! :slight_smile:

[name]Arabella[/name]: As much as I love girly names, this is too much for me…
[name]Araminta[/name]: Ditto…
[name]Aurora[/name]: Ditto
[name]Evangeline[/name]: If I were [name]Christian[/name], I’d use it in a heartbeat!
[name]Fiona[/name]: I knew a creepy [name]Fiona[/name] who wore a cape. Voluntarily. In public. 'Nuff said. :slight_smile:
[name]Jacqueline[/name]: I’m [name]Jill[/name]. [name]Jackie[/name] and [name]Jill[/name]? I’ll pass…
[name]Maeve[/name]: I’m not Irish, so feel funny using it…
[name]Willa[/name]: It’s too close to [name]Jill[/name]

Boys:
[name]Every[/name] Irish name: (I’m not Irish)
[name]William[/name]: [name]Will[/name] and [name]Jill[/name]. Nope.

[name]Jill[/name], I used to wear two different capes - one was grey and the other was brown corduroy- in high school, and I hung around with a bunch of people who wore capes, too. We were into “The [name]Lord[/name] of the Rings”. We were from Southern [name]CA[/name] and were strange even for [name]California[/name]. I still have the brown cape I sewed, but my neck is fatter now, and so I have stopped trying to put it on for a Halloween costume. I think my brown cape is in a box somewhere. My gray cape was lovely and shorter, and it had salmon-colored silk lining and a little silver chain up by my neck. It was vintage - probably from the '40’s or the '50’s. Back then I wished that my name were [name]Daphne[/name].

[name]Susan[/name], capes or no capes, I absolutely adore you! :slight_smile: (Unlike you, [name]Fiona[/name] was a mean, mean person. Nasty!)

There was a girl at the arts school by my house (which doesn’t have a dress code, because that inhibits creativity…) who dressed like a hobbit every day. She didn’t wear shoes and even put fake hair on her feet!

My friend made me elf shoes when I was in high school. She put wires from clothes hangers in the curly toes and the ends of the wires poked holes in my socks. The bottoms of the shoes got holes in them because they were made of fabric.

I thought of another one this weekend - [name]Hadassah[/name]. I’ve always loved this name but I’m not Jewish so I think it’d be a little much. So beautiful though!

I love the name [name]Hero[/name] for a girl. I’ve loved it since I saw a performance of Much [name]Ado[/name] about Nothing when I was in high school. Now, I’m not sure I could do that to my child, but I still love it.

I also love but don’t think I would use:
[name]Atticus[/name]- too closely tied to To Kill a Mockingbird
[name]Aisling[/name]- because it would become [name]Ash[/name]-lynn
[name]Effie[/name]- so cute, but I don’t think I’m that daring!
[name]Hermione[/name]- too [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name]
[name]Juno[/name]- the movie :frowning:
[name]Luna[/name]- I’m afraid she would become Looney

Maybe as middles…

[name]Susan[/name], I just saw this post, that was so nice of you to think of me!

So the name I [name]LOVE[/name] is [name]Basil[/name]. But it is too old manish and I don’t think I’m brave enough…
I love it so much!! If I met someone a young person called [name]Basil[/name] I would really want to talk to their gutsy parents! [name]Basil[/name] [name]Basil[/name] [name]Basil[/name] [name]Basil[/name] [name]Basil[/name] [name]Basil[/name] [name]Basil[/name]. Sooooo cute.

I’ve always thought [name]Temperance[/name] is too cool for words, but I’d never actually give it to a child!

The cape and hobbit conversation earlier made me laugh so hard, too - thank you :smiley:

[name]Basil[/name] is a darling name! Maybe you could use it. I can’t remember where you’re from. Are you from Oklahoma or [name]England[/name]? There were two young women from those two places who had babies recently. I think maybe you are from Oklahoma.
My mom’s family was from Oklahoma, and so I have spent a lot of time there. They grew up in [name]Shawnee[/name].
We know a lovely young lady named [name]Kate[/name]. She was just walking down the street by her seminary and met a new student - a very handsome young man named [name]Thomas[/name] from Oklahoma! He is as handsome as [name]Josh[/name] [name]Lucas[/name]. And he is nice, too. He heard her say she was moving and immediately offered to help her and to offer his truck to help her move! Anyway, I love the name [name]Thomas[/name] so much, and it I were from a place where I didn’t feel comfortable using a quirky name like [name]Basil[/name], I would name my son [name]Thomas[/name] and then give him a quirky middle name. I think my favorite male character in all of children’s literature is [name]Tommy[/name] in “Dr. Doolittle’s Voyages”. No, that isn’t true. I love [name]Peter[/name] Rabbit! He is so naughty!
My favorite female character is [name]Pippi[/name] Longstocking, but I would worry about using that name because it sounds like pee pee.

[name]Susan[/name], I’m from Brisbane Australia. I just worry that [name]Basil[/name] is an olds mans name! I wish I had someone in my family called [name]Basil[/name] that I could ‘honour’. I love [name]Thomas[/name]. Actually not long ago I read [name]Pippi[/name] Longstocking to my little cousin, it’s such a great book! I accidently called her Poopy tho. There is a [name]Tommy[/name] and [name]Annika[/name] in there as well. When I was little my favorite character was [name]Ariel[/name] from the little mermaid. I wouldn’t call a child [name]Ariel[/name] or Flounder or [name]Ursula[/name] though.

I love little [name]Tommy[/name] and [name]Annika[/name] from [name]Pippi[/name] Longstocking. They are so normal, and yet they adore [name]Pippi[/name]. If I had a little girl, I would probably name her [name]Annika[/name] after [name]Pippi[/name]'s little neighbor. I might name a little boy [name]Philip[/name] after this character in a short story called “In the [name]Apple[/name] Country” by [name]Ouida[/name]. I think that’s the author’s name. It’s a really old story. I also love [name]Prince[/name] [name]Philip[/name] in “Sleeping Beauty”. My son’s middle name is [name]Sebastian[/name], and when he was little, his friends told him he was named after the crab in “The [name]Little[/name] Mermaid”.

[name]Josie[/name],
I love [name]Basil[/name] too. I think [name]Basil[/name] and [name]Clive[/name] would be cute twin boy’s names (but what would work in the middle of each?)

[name]Annika[/name] is such a great name. I can’t get my husband to like it.

Names I love but would never use.

[name]Aurora[/name] - love the meaning dawn (my middle name) but this name is to hard to say.
[name]Annalie[/name] - and every other spelling of it. My husband reminds of the word “anal” every time I say this name. He ruined it for me but I still love the way it sounds.
[name]Beatrice[/name]/[name]Beatrix[/name] - I love the nn [name]Bea[/name] but I just can’t love the whole name.
[name]Beverly[/name] - I love the everly ending.
[name]Carolyn[/name] - it honors my aunt [name]Carol[/name] and my aunt [name]Lynn[/name] but leaves out other family members who are sensitive.
[name]Emily[/name] - way too popular but still sounds so pretty.
[name]Ginger[/name] - I [name]LOVE[/name] this name but I’ve been told it reminds people of a stripper :frowning:
[name]Lola[/name] - taken by our dog. So cute on a little girl.
[name]Laila[/name]/[name]Layla[/name] - too close to [name]Lola[/name] to ever be able to use it.
[name]Marie[/name] - Super popular middle name ruins it for me for a first name.
[name]Priscilla[/name] - frilly, dainty, princess but the name is too long.
[name]Penelope[/name] - ditto and love the nn [name]Poppy[/name].
[name]Quinn[/name] - my nephew
[name]Rhiannon[/name] - too much.
[name]Allegra[/name] - love to get the nn [name]Allie[/name] from it but the name is to much with my last name.
[name]Lyric[/name]
[name]Yuri[/name] - Japanese means lily but also has another not so desirable meaning.

[name]Andrew[/name]- to popular but I’ve always loved this name
[name]Alex[/name]- ditto
[name]Dexter[/name]/[name]Daxter[/name] - [name]Love[/name] it but just can’t use it.
[name]Dorian[/name] - same as above.
[name]Gabriel[/name] - my best friends son’s name.
[name]Jackson[/name] - [name]Michael[/name] [name]Jackson[/name] association. I think this name is going to get even more popular.
[name]London[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name] - my nephew
[name]Rafe[/name] - Husband so NO!
[name]Sebastian[/name] - too long with our last name but is one of my ultimate all time favorites!

:):):slight_smile:

I love little [name]Tommy[/name] and [name]Annika[/name] from [name]Pippi[/name] Longstocking. They are so normal, and yet they adore [name]Pippi[/name]. If I had a little girl, I would probably name her [name]Annika[/name] after [name]Pippi[/name]'s little neighbor. I might name a little boy [name]Philip[/name] after this character in a short story called “In the [name]Apple[/name] Country” by [name]Ouida[/name]. I think that’s the author’s name. It’s a really old story. I also love [name]Prince[/name] [name]Philip[/name] in “Sleeping Beauty”. My son’s middle name is [name]Sebastian[/name], and when he was little, his friends told him he was named after the crab in “The [name]Little[/name] Mermaid”.[/quote]

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Susan[/name], sorry I’m late replying! I have a little cousin called [name]Sebastian[/name] to, when he was born all I thought of was [name]Sebastian[/name] the crab but now I really like the name! My other cousin at the moment is [name]Pippi[/name] Longstocking obsessed! They had a book week dress up day at school on friday and she went as [name]Pippi[/name]. We put wire in her plaits so they stuck out and sprayed her hair orange. It was so cute! She is getting a dog in october and thinks she will call it [name]Pippi[/name].

I love little [name]Tommy[/name] and [name]Annika[/name] from [name]Pippi[/name] Longstocking. They are so normal, and yet they adore [name]Pippi[/name]. If I had a little girl, I would probably name her [name]Annika[/name] after [name]Pippi[/name]'s little neighbor. I might name a little boy [name]Philip[/name] after this character in a short story called “In the [name]Apple[/name] Country” by [name]Ouida[/name]. I think that’s the author’s name. It’s a really old story. I also love [name]Prince[/name] [name]Philip[/name] in “Sleeping Beauty”. My son’s middle name is [name]Sebastian[/name], and when he was little, his friends told him he was named after the crab in “The [name]Little[/name] Mermaid”.[/quote]

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Susan[/name], sorry I’m late replying! I have a little cousin called [name]Sebastian[/name] to, when he was born all I thought of was [name]Sebastian[/name] the crab but now I really like the name! My other cousin at the moment is [name]Pippi[/name] Longstocking obsessed! They had a book week dress up day at school on friday and she went as [name]Pippi[/name]. We put wire in her plaits so they stuck out and sprayed her hair orange. It was so cute! She is getting a dog in october and thinks she will call it [name]Pippi[/name].