Names that you mostly like the nick-name

Hi Berries.

What names do you like okay, but mostly like because of a specific nn? I’ve got a long list of names that I am okay w/but love the nn. I’ll just list a few of the ones that I would consider using/adding to my favorite list. [name_m]Can[/name_m]’t wait to see your selections!

Girls-

Bridget for [name_f]Bridie[/name_f]

Elizabeth for [name_f]Elsie[/name_f], [name_f]Bess[/name_f] or [name_f]Tess[/name_f]

Greta for [name_f]Gerty[/name_f]

Katia for [name_u]Kit[/name_u] or [name_f]Kitty[/name_f]

Kathleen for [name_u]Kit[/name_u] or [name_f]Kitty[/name_f]

Madeline for [name_f]Maisy[/name_f]

Olivia for [name_f]Livy[/name_f]…although I would probably just do [name_f]Olive[/name_f], since I love [name_f]Olive[/name_f] & [name_f]Livy[/name_f] equally.

Penelope for [name_f]Nellie[/name_f]…although I would probably just do [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], because I love [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] & [name_f]Nellie[/name_f] equally!

Boys-

Atticus for [name_u]Kit[/name_u]

Dashiell for [name_u]Dash[/name_u]

Gibson for [name_m]Gibby[/name_m]

Gabriel for [name_m]Gibby[/name_m]

Henry for [name_m]Hank[/name_m]

Harrison for [name_m]Hank[/name_m]

Maximus for [name_u]Max[/name_u]-I actually am fine w/Max on its own, but [name_m]Maximus[/name_m] is more unique & my husband loves names that this.

Peter for Patch-I love [name_m]Patrick[/name_m] & Patch equally, & that makes more sense. But there are two Patricks in our family already. One a nice little boy & one a not very nice man. So, [name_m]Peter[/name_m] nn Patch is the solution!

Solomon for [name_u]Sol[/name_u] or [name_m]Solly[/name_m]

1 Like

Birdie for [name_f]Bernadette[/name_f]!!

Audra for [name_f]Emeraude[/name_f]!

Misty for [name_u]Artemis[/name_u]!!

Nell for [name_f]Noella[/name_f]!

Lucy for [name_f]Lucille[/name_f]!

1 Like

I actually love almost all of these in full!

[name_m]Christopher[/name_m] for [name_u]Kit[/name_u]
[name_m]Philip[/name_m] for [name_u]Pip[/name_u]
[name_m]William[/name_m] for [name_u]Pim[/name_u]/Wim
[name_u]August[/name_u] for [name_u]Gus[/name_u]
[name_m]Edwin[/name_m] for [name_u]Win[/name_u]/Winnie

[name_f]Ruth[/name_f] for [name_f]Ruthie[/name_f]
[name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] for [name_f]Elsie[/name_f]
[name_f]Astoria[/name_f] for [name_u]Story[/name_u]
[name_f]Constance[/name_f] for [name_u]Connie[/name_u]
[name_f]Cosette[/name_f] for Cozy

Edith – [name_f]Edie[/name_f]
[name_f]Elaine[/name_f] – [name_f]Lainey[/name_f]
[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] – [name_f]Evie[/name_f]
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] – [name_f]Meg[/name_f] or [name_f]Daisy[/name_f]
[name_f]Millicent[/name_f] – [name_f]Millie[/name_f]

August – [name_u]Gus[/name_u]
[name_m]Friedrich[/name_m] – [name_u]Freddy[/name_u] or [name_m]Fritz[/name_m]
[name_u]Laurence[/name_u] – [name_u]Laurie[/name_u]
[name_m]Nicolas[/name_m] – [name_u]Nico[/name_u]
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] – [name_u]Teddy[/name_u]

@EJpuddlejumper-I like [name_f]Lucille[/name_f] nn [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] sister who likes names but isn’t insane about it like me, tells me that that’s her top girl name. I think that [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] can stand on its own, but for some reason is hard to picture on an adult.

@MG1257-I totally agree w/the [name_u]Kit[/name_u] & [name_u]Pip[/name_u]. I almost put [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] nn [name_f]Ruthie[/name_f] on my list, but I think I love them both in special ways.

@elanorelle-[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] has so many great nns that are way prettier than the full name. I hear you there. But [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] is also a solid classic. And I agree that [name_f]Millie[/name_f] is so cute, but too nick-namey. [name_f]Millicent[/name_f] is unique & lovely.

I almost put [name_m]Nicolas[/name_m] for [name_u]Nico[/name_u] on my list, but I think that [name_u]Nico[/name_u] is fine on its own. What do you think of [name_u]Laurence[/name_u] nn [name_m]Lad[/name_m]?

1 Like

You are right, [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] is such a lovely classic, and I do like it in full. It’s just one of those that I wouldn’t hesitate to nickname, unlike others which I would just have to use in full. For instance, I love so many nicknames for [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f], too, but I love [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] so much that I feel I wouldn’t use the nicknames at all, if that makes sense. :sweat_smile:

I do think [name_u]Nico[/name_u] can work fine on its own, definitely! For me, though, it doesn’t really fit with the style of the rest of my names: [name_m]Nicolas[/name_m] fits in better with [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], [name_m]Edmund[/name_m], etc.

I’ve never thought of ‘[name_m]Lad[/name_m]’ before – as a nn or at all. I suppose it could work for [name_u]Laurence[/name_u]. [name_f]My[/name_f] only hesitation would be that they are totally unrelated in meaning and origin. But I could see it. I think [name_m]Lad[/name_m] it a pretty cool nickname, though, for some reason, I might spell it [name_m]Ladd[/name_m]. :slight_smile:

Evangeline — [name_u]Angie[/name_u]
[name_f]Emeraude[/name_f] — [name_f]Audra[/name_f]
[name_f]Philippa[/name_f] — [name_f]Pippa[/name_f]

Laurence — [name_u]Laurie[/name_u]
[name_m]Alexander[/name_m] — [name_m]Alec[/name_m]
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] — [name_u]Theo[/name_u] or [name_u]Teddy[/name_u]

Haddie for [name_u]Hadley[/name_u]
[name_f]Junie[/name_f] for [name_u]Juniper[/name_u]
[name_f]Millie[/name_f] for Camillie
[name_f]Addie[/name_f] for [name_u]Addison[/name_u]
[name_f]Emmie[/name_f] for [name_u]Emerson[/name_u]

Alexander - [name_u]Alex[/name_u]
[name_m]Samuel[/name_m] - [name_u]Sam[/name_u]

Eleanor/Penelope - [name_f]Nell[/name_f]
Most names ending in [name_f]Belle[/name_f]/Bella - [name_f]Belle[/name_f]

Ryerson for [name_u]Rye[/name_u]
[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] for Bash
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] or Theomedes for [name_u]Theo[/name_u]
[name_m]Arlington[/name_m] for [name_u]Arlo[/name_u]
[name_m]Dashiell[/name_m] for [name_u]Dash[/name_u]
[name_m]Nekoda[/name_m] for [name_m]Koda[/name_m] (tho I would definitely use [name_m]Koda[/name_m] as a stand alone name)
[name_m]Hezekiah[/name_m] or [name_m]Mordecai[/name_m] for [name_u]Kai[/name_u]/Cai

Xanthippe for [name_u]Pip[/name_u]

I totally get what you mean by [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f]. I feel the same way about [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f]/Winnie. [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] is soooo sweet, but I love [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] too much to not use it on its own.

1 Like

@mommyandmumma-You and @elanorelle have pretty similar tastes!

@voughtlori-I love [name_u]Juniper[/name_u] nn [name_f]Junie[/name_f]. [name_f]Junie[/name_f] is the best part of ‘[name_u]June[/name_u]’ names. I also like [name_f]Juno[/name_f]!

@AdroitArtemis-[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] nn Bash is so cool! I love [name_m]Bastian[/name_m] & [name_u]Basil[/name_u] nn Bash too. [name_m]Arlington[/name_m] nn [name_u]Arlo[/name_u] is really fun & creative.

@BronwynParry1-I agree w/Bella. It’s the best part of [name_f]Annabella[/name_f]/Arabella/Isabella/Mirabella etc. But my mom was telling me the other day how her aunt [name_f]Bella[/name_f], who was just [name_f]Bella[/name_f], was a super sweet lady. And it kind of makes me like just [name_f]Bella[/name_f] a lot!

3 Likes

The one that jumps out to me is [name_f]Edie[/name_f] - I can’t really get behind any of the longer forms to get to it like [name_f]Edith[/name_f] or [name_u]Eden[/name_u]

Elizabeth for [name_f]Beth[/name_f]
[name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] for [name_f]Belle[/name_f]
[name_f]Gianna[/name_f] for [name_f]Gia[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f] for [name_f]Gwen[/name_f]
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f] for [name_f]Tori[/name_f]

Elspeth nn [name_f]Effie[/name_f]
[name_f]Sunniva[/name_f] nn [name_f]Suvi[/name_f]
[name_f]Constance[/name_f] nn [name_u]Connie[/name_u] or [name_f]Tansy[/name_f]
[name_m]Clarence[/name_m] nn [name_u]Clancy[/name_u]
[name_m]Perseus[/name_m] nn [name_u]Percy[/name_u]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] nn [name_f]Effie[/name_f], [name_f]Joni[/name_f], [name_f]Posy[/name_f] or [name_u]Josie[/name_u]

@penelope_lynson-I totally get [name_f]Winifred[/name_f] is a little frumpy for me, & [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] really does make the whole name sweeter. I also love [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] for so many other full names like [name_f]Anwen[/name_f], [name_f]Arwen[/name_f], [name_f]Ceridwen[/name_f], [name_f]Elowen[/name_f], Meriwen, [name_f]Morwenna[/name_f] & [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f]. I’ve never really heard of [name_f]Eustacia[/name_f], but I like the idea of [name_u]Stacy[/name_u] being a nn. Pretty cute!

@taylorhart-What about [name_f]Eudora[/name_f]?!

@Silvering-[name_f]Gia[/name_f] is really not my personal favorite, but it really is nicer as a nn. [name_f]Gianna[/name_f] nn [name_f]Gia[/name_f] is kind of fun. [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f] is beautiful & fancy & [name_f]Gwen[/name_f] is sleek & sassy. I love how you get both of those in the same name.

@greyblue-I’ve never heard of [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] nn [name_f]Effie[/name_f]. That’s cute. I love [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] nn [name_f]Elsie[/name_f]. And I totally agree w/you that [name_u]Percy[/name_u] is better as a nn. [name_m]Perseus[/name_m] is kind of less geeky than [name_m]Percival[/name_m]. I may have to think about that one…I love [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] nn [name_f]Posy[/name_f] too!

1 Like