Names that Your S.O. Hates

We’re TTC this year so I’m treading very carefully around name conversations now! I get about 20 minutes until my SO gets bored or done with my ‘out there’ suggestions. We have some names we both like, that to be honest I’m so surprised she even considers let alone actually likes ([name_f]Albertine[/name_f] for example!). But most of my name list is an absolute no, I’m going to have to adopt about 10 cats later down the line just to use some of my favourite names that have no chance of seeing the light with an actual baby :laughing:

[name_f]My[/name_f] guilty pleasure names that have been vetoed:
Boys: [name_m]Merlin[/name_m], [name_m]Mordecai[/name_m], Somerled, [name_m]Salvador[/name_m], [name_m]Salvatore[/name_m], [name_m]Santiago[/name_m], [name_m]Diego[/name_m] (we are white Brits with no Spanish connections)
Girls: [name_f]Celestine[/name_f], [name_f]Emerald[/name_f], [name_f]Elka[/name_f], [name_f]Alaska[/name_f], [name_f]Apolline[/name_f],

Names that I think are very usable that have also been vetoed:
Boys: [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m], [name_u]August[/name_u], [name_u]River[/name_u], [name_m]Barney[/name_m], [name_m]Calvin[/name_m], [name_u]Rory[/name_u], [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m], [name_m]Patrick[/name_m], [name_m]Hamish[/name_m], [name_m]Angus[/name_m], [name_m]Fergus[/name_m], [name_u]Sage[/name_u], [name_u]Briar[/name_u], [name_m]Forrest[/name_m], [name_u]Wilder[/name_u], [name_m]Russell[/name_m], [name_m]Rufus[/name_m], [name_m]Abel[/name_m]
Girls: [name_f]Sally[/name_f], [name_f]Opal[/name_f], [name_f]Isadora[/name_f], [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f], [name_f]Maude[/name_f], [name_f]Ramona[/name_f], [name_f]Zelda[/name_f], [name_u]Winter[/name_u]

We’re ok for girls but are down to just two boys names that haven’t been vetoed - and I’m not even sure I actually LOVE them. If we end up expecting a boy down the line I might need some serious help! :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Update: This morning I asked my husband about [name_m]Asaf[/name_m] and [name_m]Yusuf[/name_m].
Both hard nos, even though they honor both our cultures so nicely :sob: :sob:

1 Like

I’m fortunate in that we have very similar tastes, and he’s not exceptionally opinionated when it comes to names. [name_f]Nor[/name_f] conversational. I’m lucky if I get more than “nah, mate” when I’m throwing names his way. I have noticed a few trends though:

No -er endings
No -son endings
Biblical is typically a hard no (even though our first born is [name_m]Abel[/name_m] :thinking:)

And the super-modern or non-traditional spelling is an instant veto, though we’re on the same page there so there’s no dramas.

3 Likes

He hates [name_f]Ottilie[/name_f] which makes me SO sad because I looooove it.

3 Likes

to be honest, my boyfriend and i have eerily similar taste in names and pretty much agree on most things. however when it comes to ones we actually want to give our baby (who will be here in just seven months!), there are a few differences. for girls, one name we both agree on is elliette nn ellie and for boys reid.

my girl picks: brandy, olivia, chanel, dylan, grey, ivy, keira, palmer, parker, lacey, lilah, love, colette (coco), elliette (ellie)
his girl picks: rubie, saige, livvy, mia, rainey, posey, zoey, izzie, stella

my boy picks: boston, sky, reid, elikai, caspian, avery, lane, keaton, krew
his boy picks: carter, mason, collin, luke, max, owen, oliver, jamey

2 Likes

Mine vetoes almost everything and then only suggest ones that I’m not so excited by, like [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] and [name_f]Alice[/name_f]. Though I’ve worked out that if I talk about a name enough, sometimes, just sometimes, it’ll start seeming more ‘normal’ to him and he’ll even start to like it.

Apparently [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] is a “cult name”, [name_f]Athena[/name_f] is too “we’ve been to university and want to show off our nerdiness”, [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] is “middle-class or upper middle-class pretentious”, [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] just reminds him of [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] from The [name_m]Young[/name_m] Ones, [name_u]River[/name_u] and [name_f]Azalea[/name_f] are words not names, [name_f]Ida[/name_f] sounds like “I’d a…”… :roll_eyes:

@sarahjane1 what a pain! [name_f]Glad[/name_f] he didn’t veto [name_u]Alfie[/name_u] too. Such a cute name!

1 Like

Okay, so backstory. I played [name_f]Emily[/name_f] [name_m]Dickinson[/name_m] in a play like 8 years ago, and the script often talked about her sister [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f], nn [name_u]Vinnie[/name_u]. It’s like eight years later and I still love this. I thought up the combo [name_f]Ava[/name_f] [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f] way back then, which I still think is pretty, but I’ve grown to just really love the idea of the nickname [name_u]Vinnie[/name_u] on a girl, no matter what full name it comes from. It’s why I entertained the idea of a [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] for a while.

I do not want kids for several years, but my bf and I occassionally talk names and he has quashed [name_u]Vinnie[/name_u] as a future option. I knew it was a guilty pleasure long shot, but still.

2 Likes

I agree and love the name [name_u]Reagan[/name_u]. The hubby said his friend had a dog named [name_u]Reagan[/name_u] and killed that idea :confused::flushed: