Names to match Rodaidh and Isla - help!!!!

[name]Hi[/name] everyone,

[name]Long[/name] time no speak! [name]Just[/name] found out am pregnant again… (not intentionally i might add…!) Am already starting to think up names.

[name]Will[/name] be sister/brother to Rodaidh [name]Lucas[/name] (3) and [name]Isla[/name] [name]Mairead[/name] (2m). As I said when we were discussing [name]Isla[/name]'s name all our family have traditional Scottish names so we will be keeping to that tradition!

So far ideas we’ve got are:
Girls:
[name]Eilidh[/name] (ay-lee)
Meig (mek)
[name]Mairi[/name] (mah-ree)
Aimili (am-ih-lee)
[name]Riona[/name] (ree-uh-na)
Doilidh (dol-ee)
Floraidh (flor-ee)
[name]Morven[/name] (mor-vin)
[name]Peigi[/name] (peg-ee)
[name]Rhoda[/name] (roe-da)
Morainn (mur-in)

Boys:
Alpin (al-pin)
Branan (bran-an)
[name]Conall[/name] (kon-ul)
[name]Taran[/name] (ta-ran)
Tearlaidh (char-lee)
[name]Cailean[/name] (ka-len)
[name]Tomas[/name]

Comments would be helpful and if anyone fancies constructing fn, mn with surname [name]Macrae[/name] that would be wonderful!

Best wishes for a happy new year to you all,
Lilidh and [name]Micheal[/name] [name]Macrae[/name]

[name]Hi[/name] Lilidh!

Congrats. I have to say I really love your children’s names (I’m a big fan of Gaelic names), and followed your naming process with [name]Isla[/name].

Thoughts:
I love [name]Eilidh[/name], but I think it may be too similar to [name]Isla[/name]. Would you consider the Irish name Eibhlinn (pr. “[name]AVE[/name]-linn” or “EV-linn”)? Or perhaps using it in the middle.

Meig and [name]Mairi[/name] as first are a little too alliterative (as was that sentence!) with your last name - ours is Graff-McRae, and had to eliminate a lot of “M” names. I love [name]Riona[/name] (again, one we had to eliminate because of too many "R"s). I also love Realta (Irish for star).

On your boy’s list, I like Branan the best - I like the raven reference. For a similar style, we considered [name]Beacan[/name] for our daughter if she’d been a boy.

I’ll ponder some combos fir you - not difficult as it’s so similar to ours - but I’m more well-versed on Irish Gaelic as opposed to Scottish.

Limike~
Congratulations!
I will certainly be following this thread as I have an affinity for Irish/Gaelic/Scottish names! (I know, who doesn’t?, but part of my heritage comes from there so I’m legit ha!)

[name]May[/name] I ask how your pronounce your son’s name?

I’d agree that [name]Isla[/name] and [name]Eilidh[/name] are pretty similar, and since they will be so close in age, you might want to differentiate a bit more!

Here are my favorites from your list:

[name]Mairi[/name] – I know it has alliteration with your last name but I still like it!
Aimili – very sweet and feminine
I actually loved the “R” girl names too but was concerned about repeating a consonant you’ve already used. If they aren’t too similar to your son’s name, then both [name]Riona[/name] and [name]Rhoda[/name] are beautiful choices!

Boys:
Branan – probably my favorite
[name]Conall[/name] – Always sounds so strong and masculine to me (a good thing!)
[name]Cailean[/name] – I have a thing for “C” names! :slight_smile:

P.S. how do you pronounce Lilidh? Is it like [name]Lillith[/name]?

punkprincessphd:
I’m curious on one of your names too: [name]How[/name] do you pronounce Realta?

Rodaidh is pn [name]Roddy[/name] and Lilidh - [name]Lily[/name]
(aidh/idh at the end of a name is pn ee)

I believe Realta is pn Rayl-ta but i may have that wrong…

Thank you! I appreciate the lesson in pronunciation. :slight_smile:

Knowing how to pronounce your son’s name now, I really like Tearlaidh with it!

I would personally take [name]Rhoda[/name] off the list because of how similar it is to Rodaidh but [name]Riona[/name] might still be okay!

Good luck!
:slight_smile:

mmm Tearlaidh was on our list before Rodaidh was born… Maybe we should use that for the boys name…
Which goes best as a mn for Tearlaidh?
Tearlaidh Alpin [name]Macrae[/name]
Tearlaidh [name]Taran[/name] [name]Macrae[/name]
Tearlaidh [name]Cailean[/name] [name]Macrae[/name]
Tearlaidh [name]Conall[/name] [name]Macrae[/name]
Tearlaidh Branan [name]Macrae[/name]
Tearlaidh [name]Tomas[/name] [name]Macrae[/name]…

I like Tearlaidh [name]Cailean[/name] [name]Macrae[/name], Tearlaidh [name]Conall[/name] [name]Macrae[/name] and
Tearlaidh Branan [name]Macrae[/name] best.

I think my favorite is probably Tearlaidh [name]Conall[/name]!

You have such lovely names picked out-- I really think you can’t go wrong! :slight_smile:

As far as the girls names go I was thinking:
[name]Eilidh[/name] Meig [name]Macrae[/name]
Aimili [name]Morven[/name] [name]Macrae[/name]
[name]Riona[/name] Morainn [name]Macrae[/name]
[name]Peigi[/name] Morainn [name]Macrae[/name]
(i like the m mn’s for the girla apparently!)

Oh I really like those combos!
[name]Eilidh[/name] Meig [name]Macrae[/name] is especially cute!
The only of the girls names that I’m not on board with is [name]Peigi[/name], mostly because it seems so much less formal and feminine than [name]Isla[/name] to me. [name]Eilidh[/name], Aimili and [name]Riona[/name] all seem to match [name]Isla[/name] in style better.

(By the by, the more I think about it, the more I like [name]Eilidh[/name] and think it’s not too close to [name]Isla[/name] after all.)

I think the M names are great for mns! :slight_smile: I like the way they flow with [name]Macrae[/name]!

[name]Hi[/name] again!!! Congatulations! :slight_smile:

[name]Eilidh[/name] (ay-lee): I think of the -aylee names, like [name]Haylee[/name], [name]Baylee[/name], etc., but if I remember correctly, I think you said this wasn’t a problem where you live…

Meig (mek): I think the “Mek” sound of this name is too close to your last name, [name]Macrae[/name].

[name]Mairi[/name] (mah-ree): I think this is pretty…

Aimili (am-ih-lee): I think this is beautiful…

[name]Riona[/name] (ree-uh-na): I think it’s pretty…

Doilidh (dol-ee): I like some of the other’s more…

Floraidh (flor-ee): I love it!

[name]Morven[/name] (mor-vin): I like some of the others better…

[name]Peigi[/name] (peg-ee): Ditto…

[name]Rhoda[/name] (roe-da): This seems close to your son’s name to me…

Morainn (mur-in): I like this one…

My favorites from your list are Aimili and Floraidh. :slight_smile:

Boys:
Alpin (al-pin): I think this is handsome…

Branan (bran-an): I think of bran, so I’ll go with one of the others…

[name]Conall[/name] (kon-ul): I love it!

[name]Taran[/name] (ta-ran): I’ve heard this one on girls (spelled with the yooneek [name]Taryn[/name]), it feels feminine to me now…

Tearlaidh (char-lee): I like it a lot…

[name]Cailean[/name] (ka-len): I know it’s not the same, but I can’t help but think of the [name]Caylee[/name]/[name]Caleigh[/name] names…

[name]Tomas[/name]: [name]Love[/name] it!

[name]Tomas[/name] and [name]Conall[/name] are my favorites from your boys’ list.

(I have no clue as to the popularity of the names in your area, so I based my comments on the names’ sounds.) :slight_smile:

More Scottish name you may like (or totally hate) :slight_smile: :

[name]Alistair[/name]
[name]Callum[/name] (oops…the M ending doesn’t work with [name]Macrae[/name]…)
[name]Campbell[/name]
[name]Clyde[/name]
[name]Dashiell[/name]
[name]Duncan[/name]
[name]Evander[/name]
[name]Fergus[/name]
[name]Ivor[/name] (I know a great [name]Ivor[/name])
[name]Malcolm[/name] (oops…not the best with an M last name because of the M ending)

[name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Elspeth[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Willamina[/name]

I hope you’re doing well! :slight_smile:

[name]Happy[/name] New Year to you, too!

[name]Hi[/name] jill

Yes I’m fine thanks - bit tired…! [name]Isla[/name]'s growing so fast I can barely keep up with her… and now this next bundle of joy…not great timing but there you go! But Rodaidh is helping by fetching things for me - he even helped me make dinner one night (well he stirred something a couple of times…!) He’s loving being the big brother.

I think i was heading towards:
Rodaidh, [name]Isla[/name] and:
Girl: Aimili or Floraidh or [name]Eilidh[/name]
Boy: Tearlaidh…

Like Meig, [name]Morven[/name] or Morainn as mn’s for girl
and Branan, [name]Taran[/name] and [name]Tomas[/name] as mn’s for boy…

What do you think?

Rodaidh’s a helper? [name]How[/name] sweet! :slight_smile: I’m glad to hear that [name]Isla[/name] is doing well, too! (By the way, I remembered the pronunciation of your name from last time, and am pleased to report that I was able to figure out some of the pronunciations without your guide. I was so happy!)

From this list, I really, really love Aimili Morainn and Tearlaidh [name]Tomas[/name]! (I really like Aimili [name]Morven[/name], too, and honestly think that Tearlaidh works with both middles.) I love Floraidh so much, but it has the name beginning sound as [name]Morven[/name] (unless I’m saying [name]Morven[/name] wrong, which is very possible). :slight_smile:

I may be saying Meig wrong, so I’m wondering if “mek” is as close to the “[name]Mac[/name]” sound in your last name as I’m thinking it is.

Have a great night! :slight_smile:

limike~
Random thought: I am actually pregnant with my second child who was also a blessed and beloved “oops”! :slight_smile:

Of course my two will be 2 years apart so I’m not dealing with an infant while I’m pregnant, but one of my best friends had her two children within one year and they are best buds. I thought that might be an encouraging thought for you! :slight_smile:

[name]Hope[/name] you have a lovely night!

[name]Will[/name] be sister/brother to Rodaidh [name]Lucas[/name] (3) and [name]Isla[/name] [name]Mairead[/name] (2m). As I said when we were discussing [name]Isla[/name]'s name all our family have traditional Scottish names so we will be keeping to that tradition!

You have chosen lovely names for your children and you have given a great list. I have deleted the ones that I do not like and added a couple more.
Girls:
[name]Eilidh[/name]
[name]Mairi[/name]
Aimili
[name]Riona[/name]
[name]Rhoda[/name] (roe-da)
Morainn (mur-in)

Boys:
Branan (bran-an)
[name]Conall[/name] (kon-ul)
[name]Taran[/name] (ta-ran)
[name]Cailean[/name] (ka-len)
[name]Tomas[/name]

I love [name]Padraig[/name], [name]Morag[/name], [name]Sinead[/name],[name]Freya[/name], [name]Fleur[/name], [name]Dougal[/name], [name]Alister[/name], [name]Tierney[/name], [name]Dashiell[/name], Aled. [name]Louis[/name], [name]Margaret[/name] nn [name]Peggy[/name] and [name]Duncan[/name].

[name]Love[/name] your boy’s names.

[name]Conall[/name] is a great name, [name]Conall[/name] [name]Tierney[/name]
Branan [name]Patrick[/name]
Aled [name]Conall[/name]
[name]Padraig[/name] [name]Connor[/name]
Branan [name]Leo[/name]
[name]Taran[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Cailean[/name] [name]Ignatius[/name] or [name]Cailean[/name] [name]Thomas[/name]
Branan [name]Alexander[/name]

[name]Rhoda[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]
Aimili [name]Marin[/name]
[name]Riona[/name] [name]Mairi[/name]
[name]Eilidh[/name] [name]Bernadette[/name]
[name]Morag[/name] [name]Anne[/name]

[name]Riona[/name] is my favourite girl’s name here.

I am SO in love with Aimili. I love love love it. So pretty!

Aimili Mhairi (I’m Scottish too, and I think this is the traditional spelling of [name]Mairi[/name], right? I like it with the H. But I have a nagging feeling the endings are too similar, hm, but Aimili Mhairi [name]MacRae[/name] sounds pretty)
Aimili [name]Marin[/name] (as a PP suggested - this is so lovely)
Aimili [name]Riona[/name] (pretty)
Aimili [name]Morven[/name] (this is pretty, but I don’t like the look of [name]Morven[/name])

Aimili Mhairi/[name]Marin[/name] are my favourites.

I like [name]Conall[/name] and Branan the best for boys names, very handsome.

Thanks dove, That’s very sweet of you.

rollo really sorry but the names you have suggested are irish gaelic not scottish - but thanks anyway!

liz22 i believe mhairi is properly pn vah-ree (slight vocative variant), mairi pn mah-ree.

Limike - now that you mention the Mhairi pronounciation as vah-ree, that does sound familiar. Well, either is lovely!

i agree!

I am a roll now I have researched the Scottish names and I have pages of them now but to start with a couple.

[name]Tearlach[/name] pronunciation TCHAWR luch, (Scottish version of [name]Charles[/name]) BUT Tearlaidh (Scottish version of [name]Charlie[/name]) the pronunciation is TCHAR lee.

I like Tearlaidh more than [name]Tearlach[/name], especially as I cannot work out how to say TWCHAWR luch.

I love the nn of [name]Tam[/name] for [name]Tomas[/name] but again I like the spelling of Tamhas more.

WDYT?

I find this learning about Scottish names so interesting.