Names too similar?

I am due with a baby girl in [name_u]June[/name_u] and am pretty set on naming her [name_u]Emerson[/name_u]. The only reservations I have is that my brother has a daughter named [name_u]Madison[/name_u] who is 4.

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you think that [name_u]Emerson[/name_u] & [name_u]Madison[/name_u] sound too similar? [name_u]Or[/name_u] are they different enough that it wouldn’t be weird to name our daughter [name_u]Emerson[/name_u]?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Too similar for siblings, but just fine for cousins imo!

4 Likes

You’re fine with [name_u]Emerson[/name_u]. Completely different names and they do share some of the same sounds but unless they live in the same residence, I think it’s fine for cousins.

Totally fine! And [name_u]Emerson[/name_u] is such a great name. Congrats!

1 Like

We have an Emersyn!! I don’t think they are too close but you might consider this spelling. It changes it phonetically just slightly.

I think they’re fine as cousins.

I agree with most of the others. I think if they were siblings it my be a bit close, but as cousins they work well.

They are fine for cousins!

I don’t think they’re too close!

For cousins it’s fine! They’re different enough!

Not sure if if they ever use nicknames or if you plan to, but the obvious ones (Maddy and Emmy/Em) are distinct

I don’t think there’s any issue. Go for it!

I have a Belle & Isabel in my family (they’re cousins) and it’s fine! Very different names can still have the same endings - eg Celestine & Josephine etc - it wouldn’t be fair for someone to expect you didn’t use same endings.

Completely agree with @catherine89

I think it’s totally fine for cousins, even for siblings I’d say it could work ok, though not ideal