Names with bad meanings and history!

Right. I just thought of it more in reference to personal character as opposed to physical characteristics

1 Like

Personally, I care much more about sound, associations and namesakes than etymological meaning. If I met someone named [name_u]Kennedy[/name_u] then I might think they were named that because their parents admired [name_m]John[/name_m] F. [name_u]Kennedy[/name_u], not because they liked the original meaning of that name.

Plus, for me thereā€™s a difference between a name that literally means something bad in a certain language (like [name_f]Marica[/name_f] in Spanish), and a name that could possibly be derived from a negative word but is not spelled or pronounced the same as that actual word. If the meaning is uncertain or potentially has another origin then it doesnā€™t really bother me. I think [name_f]Claudia[/name_f], [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f], [name_f]Mary[/name_f], [name_f]Leah[/name_f] etc all fall into that latter category. If I decided to use the name [name_f]Mary[/name_f], I would tell my daughter that I chose it because of the good meaning (ā€œbelovedā€), not the negative meaning (ā€œbitterā€).