Names with the best imagery -- Your favorites

Sometimes I fall in love with names for the sound of them and other times for their meaning, but sometimes I fall in love with them just because of the wonderful image I get of the type of person someone with that name might be. It is always fun to have people comment on the imagery they have of my favorite names, so I thought it would be fun to get some discussion going about the names that have the nicest imagery to you! The imagery might be literal (such as thinking about warmth, sweatshirts, and the crunch of leaves when you think of the name [name_f]Autumn[/name_f]) or totally unrelated (such as always picturing a girl named [name_f]Lavender[/name_f] as splashing in mud puddles outside and making up sweet songs to sing to her dolls, or thinking of a boy named [name_u]Drew[/name_u] as studious and withdrawn). I am very interested in hearing about the names you love and what kind of person or things you picture when you hear them!

As a note: I know that everyoneā€™s personality is different and that an [name_f]Autumn[/name_f] might turn out to be an unfriendly, very serious person, that a girl named [name_f]Lavender[/name_f] might not be able to carry a tune, and that [name_u]Drew[/name_u] might be the most sociable, fun-loving person in his class. I guess the point is, no matter what kind of personalities my future children have, I want them to have names with pleasant mental pictures. I wonā€™t be tied to hoping my child turns out to fit the images I have of his or her name, but having one or more great pictures of the name just might be the deciding factor in whether I choose the name. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh, name imagery, definitely! I do it all the time : ) I sometimes wonder what Iā€™d do if my child turned out to be the exact opposite of my idea, but that wonā€™t stop me, anyway. Iā€™ll name some of mine:

[name_m]Damian[/name_m]: Quiet, well-read, intelligent, and somewhat inclined to day-dream
[name_m]Luke[/name_m]: Easy-going, with quick wit
[name_m]Peter[/name_m]: Down-to-earth, recognizes a good joke

[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]: Sweet, gentle, and loves to cuddle her favorite stuffed animal : )
[name_f]Eulalia[/name_f]: Over-the-top spontaneity, but not indecisive
[name_f]Perpetua[/name_f]: The extrovert. Laughs a lot, and likes to go on adventures

Thatā€™s some of my name imagery, but my other names will not allow me to put them in a mold. It is incredibly aggravating.

Ooh, this is really fun to read other peopleā€™s name imagery! I love how you picture [name_m]Damian[/name_m] and [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] ā€“ very sweet. Itā€™s funny, I know a [name_m]Luke[/name_m] who fits your description perfectly. :slight_smile:

Definitely imagery is a very strong factor for me. I sort of like [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] - but all I can think of is a snobby little princess [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f]. I have a very hard time imagining the name on anyone else.

[name_f]Edith[/name_f]: A graceful little girl who is kind and proper, but somewhat shy.
[name_f]Summer[/name_f]: Extrovert, party girl. Sheā€™s fun, funny, happy and lively. This name has a warmth and a positiveness I havenā€™t so far found in any other name.
[name_u]Demeter[/name_u]: A plain-spoken, outdoor girl who is constantly running around. Soft, graceful and humble.

@cloverish: Thatā€™s funny, I have a very different picture of [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f]! I see a sweet little girl who loves ā€œreadingā€ picture books and has a cute giggle. Imagery is funny, isnā€™t it? :slight_smile:

Also, I know what you mean about [name_f]Summer[/name_f] being such a warm, happy name. Tough to beat!

Anyone else? :slight_smile:

[name_f]Flora[/name_f]: A curious little brunette girl who always asks questions, loves to play outside but on a rainy day would also sit on her bed and reads for hours.

[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]: Also a little brunette girl with pigtails, she has a bit of a bolder personality and loves to smile. When sheā€™s outside, she jumps in puddles and runs around wanting you to chase her. When you finally caught her she canā€™t stop giggling.

[name_m]Elliott[/name_m]: A very sweet little boy, whoā€™s part gentleman, part ā€œcoolā€ kid. He loves to hear stories and always insists on one last story.

When I think of these names, thereā€™s a mini clip playing in my head and thatā€™s what it plays :slight_smile:

@opheliaflora: Aww, I love those descriptions! [name_m]How[/name_m] sweet. :slight_smile: That is neat how different clips play through your head when you think of certain names.

I tend to think of nature more than what the names would look like on people. Hereā€™s what I see when I hear my favorite girlā€™s names:

Girls:
[name_f]Angeline[/name_f] - A storm brewing on the open ocean: powerful and dark.
[name_f]Adeline[/name_f] - Birds tweeting from tree to tree.
[name_f]Savannah[/name_f] - Dense tropical greenery next to clear-blue waters in the Caribbean.
[name_f]Paige[/name_f] - A light dusting of snow in the growing forest.
[name_u]Skye[/name_u] - A drizzly day out in the country
[name_f]Reverie[/name_f] - A calming path lined by huge sagging willow trees.
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] - A huge [name_m]New[/name_m]-Orleans-style mansion covered in crawling ivy.
[name_f]Bryony[/name_f] - A babbling brook surrounded by lush, green ferns and huge birch trees with sunlight peeking through from between the leaves.
[name_f]Evelina[/name_f] - A tulip field with electric pink color as far as the eye can see.
[name_f]Delphine[/name_f] - An ancient redwood in the misty morning dew.
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f] - A scorching summer day along the river.
[name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] - A pebbly beach covered in a thick blanket of fog and the waves crashing upon the shore.

1 Like

[name_f]Clio[/name_f] is a beautiful girl with wide, dark eyes, short, silky black hair, and olive skin. She likes to paint and sculpt, and wears a number of beaded bangles on both wrists. Oftentimes in a pair of jeans and a tee-shirt, she likes to accessorize with a necklace or a scarf. I see spring days after school, sprawled out across a vast field, or summer evenings in a farm in the country. I think of quiet strength and snark, and girls who hold their own and know themselves. I think of ancient power.

(The funniest part is that I donā€™t even really like this name, but I love the imagery.)

1 Like

Fun!

[name_u]Rhian[/name_u] for either gender to me is dark, snarky, sarcastic, mysterious, and guarded, but loyal, and with his/her friends is super sweet and silly. Maybe likes black and dark clothing.

[name_m]Zedekiah[/name_m] is a dark-skinned, gray-eyed, boy with curly short black hair. He is mischievous and silly, sweet, and loyal.

[name_u]Echo[/name_u] is energetic and very kind and sympathetic. She has warm brown eyes and short, wavy brown hair tied up in pigtails.

this is actually what I think of when I hear or see these names!
:smile:
[name_f]Lynette[/name_f] - every time I think of this wonderful name( btw I do know a lady named [name_f]Lynette[/name_f], my CCD teacher) I see a birk, I think itā€™s a lark, soaring low around a meadow next to a majestic, tan, stone castle, whistling a cheery tune. [name_f]Faye[/name_f] is a cheerful, sweet, bright girl skipping around with her hair flowing, in that meadow next to the castle, next to a girl named [name_f]Meadow[/name_f], who is very similar to [name_f]Faye[/name_f], except even more energetic and spunky. She is running and skipping too. [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] is with both of them, carrying a basket and twirling around, her knee-length skirt blowing in the wind, and her beautiful orange hair tied up in two braids. In that meadow there is a small pond, and next to [name_f]Meadow[/name_f] and [name_f]Faye[/name_f] is [name_f]Ondina[/name_f], by that lake, with her curly light blonde hair, freckles, and blue eyes, and small smile. She is sitting there, lost in her wonderful thoughts.Aerilyn is there too, collecting wildflowers, her medium brown hair flowing in the wind. She is light and airy, smiling, and dreamlike. [name_u]Auburn[/name_u] is standing at the edge of that meadow, by a forest. He has brown short hair with a tinge of red. He is serious but kind. [name_f]Alice[/name_f] is mysterious, sometimes sad, sometimes happy, but always at the edge of the forest, with her white bicycle.She always has a smile, whether sad or happy, cause she changes moods, and is wearing a white pinafore and black shoes. She has tan/sandy light brown shoulder lenght hair that is slightly wavy.[name_m]Fabian[/name_m] is standing by the castle, sometimes heā€™s on one of the walkways in the large walls, and he has brown hair cut in a side bang and smiling brown eyes. He is softly kind and sweet. He loves reading. Now a bit deeper into that aforementioned forest, there is a little sapphire blue fay/fairy. The forest is very dark, and this usually takes place at night. [name_f]Seraphina[/name_f] and [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] are dark-haired girls, walking towards a beautiful pond surrounded by mist and willow trees with leaves trailing into the water. The moon is bright in the midnight sky if itā€™s dark. [name_f]Lorelle[/name_f], the queen or ruler-like woman, is standing by the castle, looking queenly and magestic with her long, wavy, brown hair and blue and purple dress flowing. [name_m]Soren[/name_m] has blonde hair and clear blue eyes. He looks warrior-like as he stands at the castle. [name_m]Evander[/name_m] is somewhere around the forest or castle, his position changes, but he is usually with a sparrow. [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] is with the bird by [name_m]Evander[/name_m]. He or she, depending on what gender I am thinking of for the name, has straight, light brown, short hair or long for a girl. [name_m]Bramble[/name_m] and [name_u]Briar[/name_u] are standing at the edge of the meadow together, next to the forest. They are twins, though not identical cause [name_m]Bramble[/name_m] is a boy and [name_u]Briar[/name_u] is a girl. They both have dark brown hair with auburn highlights. [name_u]Juniper[/name_u] is at her or his (depending on which gender I am thinking of the name being) tree a little bit farther into the forest. The sun is shining through the leaves. Her hair is tied up in pigtails, and she is wearing jeans shorts.

1 Like

oh an I canā€™t forget [name_u]Kai[/name_u]! A beautiful beach at high tide, with the clear blue ocean waves swelling and crashing on the sand,

Mist or [name_f]Misty[/name_f] gives me an image of a beautiful pond at night, surrounded by willow trees with leaves trailing in the water. It is in a forest. The moon shines bright in the midnight sky, casting its beautiful glow upon the water.

Okay so Iā€™m not coming from a position of experience, because I am NOWHERE near being a parent, but I find it painful to imagine what the children belonging to names will be like, because thereā€™s no guarantee that they will turn out like that. First off, I have to say, I would be disappointed if my first child was a boy. Second, even if itā€™s a girl, she could be sweet and amazing like most of the personalities of the people above, or she could just beā€¦ dour. She could be an annoying little know-it-all, like I used to be (I hate thinking about when I was younger. I was an awful person). And as for boys, most young boys are really sweet, but boys in second to fourth grade are often utter brats, obsessed with fortnite and memes. Again, Iā€™m not anywhere near parent age, so I have a different perspective. But there are some names that arenā€™t my favorite but I love the imagery, like [name_f]Flora[/name_f], [name_f]Daisy[/name_f], [name_f]Lavender[/name_f], and other cheerful names like that.
As for the personality descriptions of names I like:
[name_f]Aveline[/name_f] [name_f]Wildflower[/name_f]- super dreamy, actually one thing I donā€™t like is that everyone loves her, which I just donā€™t like of people. By ā€˜everyoneā€™, I am including adults when she is a kid, and I always find it annoying when adults all seem to love a certain child (I mean, it makes sense when theyā€™re young, but when theyā€™re in like middle school it just doesnā€™t make sense). I prefer kids who most adults actually donā€™t really pay much attention to.
[name_f]Bridget[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]- [name_f]Bridget[/name_f] is really smart and practical. When sheā€™s young (like birth-first grade) sheā€™s really sweet, but becomes less open as she grows older. Sheā€™s businesslike but hopefully makes friends and is great with them.
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]- smart, put-together, reasonable.
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] Wildrose- same as above but more dreamy and willing to open up with her friends. Probably my dream daughter.
[name_f]Harriet[/name_f] [name_u]Larkspur[/name_u]- [name_f]My[/name_f] other dream daughter. [name_f]Harriet[/name_f] is one of those names that I loooooove but I donā€™t think Iā€™ll ever use, just because I canā€™t think of any sibling names and wouldnā€™t have an only child. But [name_f]Harriet[/name_f] [name_u]Larkspur[/name_u] is introverted and likes nature. Sheā€™s caring and loves animals. Other middle names that fit this with [name_f]Harriet[/name_f] would be [name_f]Harriet[/name_f] Wildrose, [name_f]Harriet[/name_f] [name_u]Indigo[/name_u], [name_f]Harriet[/name_f] [name_u]Blue[/name_u], [name_f]Harriet[/name_f] [name_f]Sunday[/name_f], [name_f]Harriet[/name_f] [name_u]Lark[/name_u]
[name_f]Thessaly[/name_f] [name_f]Fern[/name_f]- Why does this name have such beautiful rhythm??? [name_f]Thessaly[/name_f] loves animals and nature, like [name_f]Harriet[/name_f], but sheā€™s less quiet and is more able to stand up for herself.
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f] [name_u]Lark[/name_u]- hmmm, [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] could have several different personalities. She would totally go by [name_u]Jules[/name_u], in which case sheā€™s strong and outspoken and wild with her friends. But [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] as a whole could also be much like [name_f]Harriet[/name_f].
[name_f]Aurelie[/name_f] [name_f]Moon[/name_f]- totally dreamy and whimsical.
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u]- my third dream daughter (not that I want three daughters). Sheā€™s really smart and bright and has fun with her friends and is probably the most playful as a child and then pretty intense when sheā€™s older.
[name_f]Calluna[/name_f] (I need a middle name)- she sees beauty in everyday things, really sweet as a young child and has deep passions

1 Like