Names You Can't Stand?

---------------

I cannot stand the name [name_f]Jessica[/name_f]-to me, all I hear is ‘sic’ in the middle which sounds unattractive to my ears.
I can’t explain why I hate [name_m]Thomas[/name_m]… It just annoys me.

Apart from those most names that annoy me either seem made up or are made up/spelled incorrectly.

[name_f]Agatha[/name_f]
[name_f]Mabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Ethel[/name_f]
[name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]
[name_f]Maeve[/name_f]
[name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] (or most of the [name_f]Belle[/name_f]/[name_f]Bella[/name_f] names; I do like [name_f]Elle[/name_f]/[name_f]Ella[/name_f])
[name_f]Maude[/name_f]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] (and I truly can’t stand the nickname [name_f]Poppy[/name_f])
[name_f]Agnes[/name_f]
[name_f]Ida[/name_f]
[name_f]Edna[/name_f]
[name_f]Bertha[/name_f]
[name_f]Lavender[/name_f]
[name_u]Juniper[/name_u]
[name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] (or any other variation that sounds like a toddler trying to say [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f])
[name_f]Mildred[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]

[name_f]Olivia[/name_f], [name_f]Emma[/name_f] and [name_f]Violet[/name_f]. I don’t mind alternative spellings or old names but these three are my least favorite names.
I use other spellings too like Masal instead of Mazel and Selin instead of [name_f]Celine[/name_f]. Or old grandma like Balika is listed in my favorites.

For me:

1. Any type of creative spellings unless they are meaningful. Seriously, [name_m]Zakary[/name_m] makes my eyes hurt.
  2. Really offensive names like [name_m]Adolph[/name_m], [name_m]Cohen[/name_m] or [name_u]Messiah[/name_u].
  3. Mispronounced names. If you choose a certain name, either use the correct pronounciation or oick another name.
  4. Very frilly or very badass names. What if [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f] turns out to be a tomboy?
  5. Meaningless name. You only name your child once, so try and put some thoughts into it.

I love most of those names. Oh well, I’m sure I hate your style, you hate mine. Hahahaha

[name_f]Margaret[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]
[name_f]Cora[/name_f] / [name_f]Corinne[/name_f] / [name_f]Corrine[/name_f]
[name_f]Greer[/name_f] / [name_f]Grier[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] / [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]
[name_f]Clementine[/name_f]
[name_f]Saskia[/name_f]
[name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecelia[/name_f] in this spelling (I do like [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f])
[name_u]Delaney[/name_u]
[name_f]Olive[/name_f]
[name_f]Ramona[/name_f]
[name_f]Kaitlyn[/name_f] ([name_f]Caitlin[/name_f] is ok but this spelling just hurts my eyes!)
Anything ending in -ette or -etta as they just strike me as dated

This is an interesting thread.
Okay, I’ll rant with you. I hate-

Names that have obvious teasing potential. [name_f]Luna[/name_f] (lunatic), [name_f]Dulcie[/name_f] (I’m dull, see?)

Names that are trying [name_m]WAY[/name_m] too hard. I don’t mind [name_f]Isabella[/name_f], though its popularity is offsetting to some; Isabellina though… [name_m]Just[/name_m] please, no. [name_f]Alexandrina[/name_f], [name_f]Anastasiya[/name_f], Euphenasiaelleina… OK, I made the last one up, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

Boy names for girls. I don’t mean unisex like [name_u]Avery[/name_u], or [name_u]Sage[/name_u]. But [name_u]Scotty[/name_u], [name_u]Kyle[/name_u], [name_m]Ivan[/name_m], [name_u]Cody[/name_u], [name_u]Bobby[/name_u]… Same goes for girls names on boys- [name_u]Ashley[/name_u], [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]… Its been done.

Misspelled names like Zaquiri. I saw that once. It doesn’t make it nice, just makes me cringe.

And last but not least, this one’s controversial, but : exotic dancer-ish names. [name_f]Velvet[/name_f], [name_f]Diamond[/name_f], [name_f]Starr[/name_f]. I love star as a nn for [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f], but as a given name it just has this feel to me.

I absolutely cannot stand the name [name_f]Hermione[/name_f]. I hate everything about it. It looks ugly, it’s hard to pronounce it an it’s way too popular because of a dumb [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] character. (And yes, I like [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m])
? While I’m on the subject, [name_f]Luna[/name_f] and [name_f]Ginevra[/name_f]. [name_m]Just[/name_m] yuck.

[name_f]Heaven[/name_f].[name_f]Nevaeh[/name_f].
[name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f],
[name_u]Elliot[/name_u] and [name_u]Michael[/name_u] on girls
[name_m]Ryder[/name_m]
[name_f]Kaitlyn[/name_f]. I don’t know… my mind just wants to change it to [name_f]Caitlin[/name_f].
[name_f]Cait[/name_f]. I don’t know, just looks weird.
[name_f]Alyvia[/name_f]. But I like [name_f]Alivia[/name_f].

Any -bella ending name. I like the -belle ending, but -bella is too Twilight.
Weird spellings or invented names, like Kaydence or Sy’Rai.
Maeve. I just can’t stand that name. Sounds like a weird mixture of Mae/May and Eve. MayVVVVVVV. No, no, no.
Antonella. Salmonella. Ew.

• den ending names.
    Common and overused names (Emma, Emily, Olivia, Ethan, Jacob). Some of them are beautiful, but NO.
    Cora… I hate the -ora ending.
    Nevaeh! Ew!
    GoT names, like Khaleesi or Daenerys.
  • ys ending names. They sound very thrashy IMO.
    Cecelia. I love Cecilia. Don’t ruin that name.
    Imogen.
    Wren. Looks like wreck.
    Willa/Willow (Willow the pillow).
    Makayla, McKayla, Mackenzie, Makenna and similar.
  • son or -syn ending names.
    Boys’ names for girls.

Irish names. They may sound beautiful, but they’re hard to pronounce.

I dislike [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] a LOT. I’ve grown up eating clementines and tangerines etc so to just name a kid it seems silly. I also don’t like the harsh [name_u]Clem[/name_u] beginning which just reminds me of phlegm. Ick.

I also don’t like old lady names ([name_f]Edna[/name_f], [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f], [name_f]Mavis[/name_f], [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f]) and simply ‘weird’ names ([name_f]Lavender[/name_f] or [name_u]Pepper[/name_u], and then [name_f]Maude[/name_f] or [name_f]Elowen[/name_f]).

I love girl names that can go both ways (such as [name_f]Arabella[/name_f], it can be frilly or it can suit an edgy girl - think Arctic Monkeys’ song [name_f]Arabella[/name_f], and then a Disney princess…). I also like names such as [name_f]Lily[/name_f] and [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], so if you get that feel, then names that don’t fit in these categories.

Agreed with all of these, gonna add some more:

1. Boys names on girls, even the supposedly unisex ones, like [name_u]Avery[/name_u], [name_u]Logan[/name_u], [name_u]Hunter[/name_u], [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] etc. I personally don’t find them unisex at all.
  2. Names that end with -son or starts with [name_m]Mac[/name_m]/Mc on girls. I mean they literally mean ‘son of …’ for goodness sake.

Also, some names I absolutely can’t stand, without any particular reason:

[name_u]Wren[/name_u], [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], [name_m]Ezra[/name_m].

Yoo-nique spellings. They actually make me angry! And I can’t help but think the parents are illiterate.

[name_u]Aiden[/name_u] is a great name but I’m soo sick of all of the spin-off names.

And this might get me booted out of Nameberry, but I’m not a fan of the seemingly constant rise of boys names being used for girls.

1. Boys names/surnames on girls
  2. [name_f]Olive[/name_f]-an ugly green pickled food with a pimento in the middle
  3. [name_f]Edith[/name_f], [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], [name_f]Edna[/name_f], [name_f]Mabel[/name_f], [name_f]Lois[/name_f] , [name_f]Thelma[/name_f]
  4. [name_f]Paige[/name_f]
  5. [name_f]Kinsey[/name_f], [name_f]Kinsley[/name_f], [name_m]Keelie[/name_m], [name_f]Kylie[/name_f], [name_f]Kayla[/name_f], [name_f]Kaylee[/name_f], Mckinsley, [name_f]Miley[/name_f], [name_u]Marley[/name_u]

Personally, I dislike names that are too strongly associated with certain literature, movies and TV series. Examples: [name_m]Atticus[/name_m], [name_f]Khaleesi[/name_f], [name_f]Daenerys[/name_f], [name_f]Katniss[/name_f] and the list goes on. Not neccessarily because I dislike the name itself (though I do dislike the mentioned ones), but because the associations are too strong for me. I’m weird like that.

• I also dislike boys names on girls, to an extent.
  • I dislike almost all hyphenated names, they just look so messy to me.
  • [name_u]Unique[/name_u] spellings, especially where random Y’s are inserted (Maddisynn, Corrynn, etc).
  • Nicknames as full names (with a few exceptions). Examples: [name_u]Frankie[/name_u], [name_f]Lottie[/name_f], [name_f]Tilly[/name_f], [name_u]Freddie[/name_u], [name_m]Ty[/name_m], [name_u]Alfie[/name_u].
  • Names I dislike for no particular reason: [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] (and all variations), [name_f]Maeve[/name_f], [name_f]Clementine[/name_f], [name_u]Dexter[/name_u] (though it’s growing on me), [name_m]Harry[/name_m], [name_m]Nigel[/name_m], [name_f]Andromeda[/name_f], [name_u]Vega[/name_u] and the list goes on.

I hope nobody gets offended by this, it’s just my personal opinion :slight_smile:

Really dislike [name_f]Audrey[/name_f], [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u], [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]- pretty much anything with the ‘Au’ sound at the beginning. I just don’t like how they sound (in my accent, anyway). Not a fan of any of the ‘[name_f]Ora[/name_f]’ names either- [name_f]Cora[/name_f], [name_f]Flora[/name_f], [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], etc, for the same reasons.
[name_m]Don[/name_m]'t really like [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] or [name_f]Olive[/name_f], or any food names, also [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], which sort of goes with them.
I also find a lot of the virtue names, except [name_f]Grace[/name_f], really cringe-inducing, such as [name_f]Faith[/name_f] and [name_f]Hope[/name_f].
Also I don’t like [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] or [name_f]Claire[/name_f], but that’s just by association rather than the name.
It seems that a lot of these names are really popular on here, so I must be missing something :slight_smile:

Of course I hate made-up spellings and names, like most people on here but a name I have an irrational hatred of is [name_f]Nora[/name_f]. Actually [name_f]Norah[/name_f] is worse. I feel like I should like it, it’s classic, feminine, has lots of historical/literary references and it’s not THAT common. But I hate it. It makes me cringe when I say it. It sounds like snorer/snoring and of a rat gnawing on something. Well, rats in general. It just seems so ugly and harsh to me.
I hate it when people try and make a name that isn’t a surname into a surname like [name_f]McKayla[/name_f]… Ugh. And boys names on girls are awful too!

1.) The -inley/-insley names, more specifically [name_f]Kinsley[/name_f], are like nails on a chalkboard to my ears. They are just so overly cutesy to me, I just can’t stand it. I should probably change that to all surname names/word names ending in the lee sound. They are all just so ridiculously over done. [name_m]Even[/name_m] the obscure ones like Eisley or [name_u]Waverly[/name_u] just aren’t novel any more, but everyone seems to think they are.

2.) [name_u]Day[/name_u] of the week names and obscure month names. I feel like people who use these names think they are being so unique and quirking naming their kid Friday and [name_f]October[/name_f] when it really looks kind of thoughtless, especially when the child is born on that day of the week/month (which they usually are). Like the parent couldn’t think of a name so they just named them after the day or month they were born. But then if they aren’t born on or in that month then its just weird and they get pestered about it. “Your name is [name_u]December[/name_u] but you were born in [name_f]July[/name_f]?”

3.) Names purposefully spelled with extra letters: I have a long name and filling out forms under time constraints is the most annoying thing ever. Why would you want your child to struggle with a) Spelling and pronouncing their name for every one when its should be as simple as “[name_f]Ariana[/name_f]” and spend an extra minute trying to bubble in the letters for Ayrieaunnah on your scantron when you could have completed the first five questions of your test by now.

OP here! Wow, I completely agree with your post. Especially [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f].

[name_f]Bree[/name_f], [name_f]Brea[/name_f], [name_f]Brielle[/name_f], [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f], [name_f]Greta[/name_f], [name_f]Prudence[/name_f], [name_f]Cadence[/name_f], [name_f]Grace[/name_f], [name_f]Hayley[/name_f], [name_f]Giovanna[/name_f], [name_f]Agatha[/name_f], [name_f]Bruna[/name_f], [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_m]Sean[/name_m], [name_f]Shana[/name_f], [name_u]Shane[/name_u], [name_f]Sheila[/name_f], [name_f]Jasmine[/name_f], [name_u]Jordan[/name_u], [name_f]Caroline[/name_f], [name_f]Carolina[/name_f], [name_f]Camilla[/name_f], [name_f]Ivonne[/name_f], [name_f]Samantha[/name_f], [name_f]Catelyn[/name_f], [name_f]Glenda[/name_f], [name_f]Gwen[/name_f], [name_f]Dorinda[/name_f], [name_f]Belinda[/name_f], [name_f]Linda[/name_f], [name_f]Micaela[/name_f], [name_m]Rafael[/name_m], [name_f]Rafaella[/name_f], [name_f]Debora[/name_f], [name_f]Lucinda[/name_f], [name_f]Dulce[/name_f], Dulcineia, [name_f]Bibiana[/name_f], [name_u]Vivian[/name_u], [name_u]Riley[/name_u], [name_u]Ripley[/name_u], [name_u]Skylar[/name_u], [name_u]Sky[/name_u], [name_u]Jean[/name_u], [name_f]Jeanette[/name_f], [name_f]Joanne[/name_f], [name_f]Jeanine[/name_f], [name_f]Mirella[/name_f] and [name_f]Claudia[/name_f]