Names you don't have the guts to use...yet (Girls Edition)

There are names that I absolutely love but am afraid to use for various reasons. My main fear with a very unusual name is that it will crop up on The [name]Bachelor[/name] or be the name chosen by [name]Ashley[/name] [name]Simpson[/name] for her next baby. And being an unusual name, it would be forever associated with that person. In any case, here’s my list.

[name]Alameda[/name]
[name]Apolline[/name]
[name]Araceli[/name]
[name]Inez[/name] (this is the most likely contender for a real baby at this point)
[name]Maelle[/name]
[name]Magdalena[/name] (family name that I love, but it still feels like a bit much)

Anyone else have a list they’d like to share?

Maybe it is regional, but I don’t think [name]Araceli[/name], [name]Inez[/name] or [name]Magdalena[/name] are all that unusual. I went to school with at least one of each in [name]California[/name]. I adore [name]Inez[/name] and [name]Magdalena[/name] can go by [name]Maggie[/name] or [name]Lena[/name].

Oh, I have tons of names like that! Here are some of my favorite names that would be way too over the top for an actual human:

[name]Octavia[/name]*
[name]Melisande[/name]
[name]Flavia[/name]
Chrysanthe
[name]Pomona[/name]
[name]Philomena[/name]
Celandine
[name]Tullia[/name]
[name]Ophelia[/name]*
[name]Seraphina[/name]
[name]Aurelia[/name]*
[name]Guinevere[/name]
Jaswinder
[name]Delphine[/name]
[name]Alexandrine[/name]
[name]Niamh[/name]
[name]Ondine[/name]
[name]Jessamine[/name]*
[name]Saffron[/name]
[name]Andromeda[/name]
Sumarlina
Eirwen

My absolute favorites are starred!

I love the name [name]Magdalena[/name]. The only reason I haven’t seriously considered using it is because my husband isn’t a fan.

I love the name [name]Thessaly[/name] but I don’t think I’m brave enough to use it. I seriously considered it as a middle name though.

Sounds like I need to move to [name]California[/name] :wink: [name]Magdalena[/name] doesn’t feel unusual to me, just like a bit of a mouthful. But it’s good to know those names aren’t all that unusual in your part of the country.

[name]Iris[/name], I love your list. [name]Tullia[/name], [name]Ophelia[/name], [name]Aurelia[/name], and of course I adore [name]Delphine[/name]. I would actually use [name]Delphine[/name] before the ones listed above. It’s unusual (for now at least) but it just glides off the tongue. Names that are easy to say, even fun to say, seem more approachable. Oh, and I’m kind of liking Sumarlina too! Very mysterious.

Elsiek, [name]Thessaly[/name] is really interesting. I love [name]Cecily[/name] so I can see the appeal of [name]Thessaly[/name]. It reminds me of [name]Tessa[/name] too.

Thanks for sharing!

yup, move to cali. i’ve met a few too =)

names i don’t have the guts to use:

marigold-- all the women in DH’s family have “mary” in their name somewhere. and i love this name, but just don’t think i could make it work!

caledonia-- i love this with the nn calla. it holds a special meaning for DH and i, but i still think its a bit over the top for a little girl.

I agree that hesitancy to use a name is very subjective since names vary so much from region to region.For example from Irisrose’s list I know one [name]Flavia[/name],several Philomenas aged 55 plus and obviously a few Niamhs since I live in [name]Ireland[/name].I think [name]Philomena[/name] may have some religious connection since there are so many of them here,I don’t like the full name but [name]Mena[/name] is pretty cool.I really like [name]Eliana[/name] and [name]Leda[/name] is growing on me ,I just might get
confident enough to use them one day.I think this name site really gives some people that extra nudge to be confident about using a name which is a fantastic attribute to nameberrites everywhere.By the way, [name]Emmeline[/name] is another name I would be slow to use because I’ve never met one yet.[name]How[/name] popular are these names where you live?

Here are some of my favorite names that would be way too over the top for an actual human:

[name]Tullia[/name], Jaswinder (though I recall Jasvinder?) and Sumarlina are unfamiliar, but I wouldn’t automatically dismiss them. Not all of these names are my style… but most are, and I wouldn’t find any too crazy.

Are there any names I actually like that I’d be scared to use?

Most of these are pushing my comfort zone, but I love names that do that:
[name]Tuesday[/name]
Tigerlily
Amyflower - Yes, I made this one up.
Nightingale
Normandy
Pretoria
(Yes, I like place names - thanks for mentioning [name]Alameda[/name]!)
[name]Lavender[/name]
[name]Domino[/name] - There is no “too cool”.
[name]Rainbow[/name] - Or “too hippie”.
[name]Plum[/name] - Or “too cutesy”.

Starbabies already, and that would be the only thing stopping me:
[name]Strawberry[/name]
[name]Cypress[/name]

Actually, I guess the only type of names that truly fit the thread title are Japanese and possibly [name]Indian[/name] names. I don’t want to admit that I’m like the rest of the English-speaking world. These languages are just on the edge of “acceptable”, but I want to be more open than that.

[quote=“irisrose”]
the ones you’ve starred are names I’ve actually heard on real girls

heres are mine:
[name]Seraphina[/name]
[name]Delphi[/name]
[name]Genesis[/name]
[name]Roslin[/name]
[name]Valentine[/name]
[name]Cressida[/name]

[name]Delphine[/name]

[name]Electra[/name]/[name]Elektra[/name]
[name]Antigone[/name]
[name]Vesper[/name]
[name]Arizona[/name]
[name]Andromeda[/name]

Oh gosh… Haha there are a few.

[name]Henrietta[/name] - I adore the name, and love the nickname [name]Hattie[/name]. Unfortunately, I asked my mom about it the other day and the first thing she said was “[name]Henrietta[/name] Hippo”. I still love it, but couldn’t use it as a first name.

[name]Cassia[/name] - I love the name, but feel I could never get away with using it.

[name]Artemis[/name] and [name]Athena[/name] - I love Greek mythology and I’m enthralled by these names, but I don’t have the guts to use it.

It’s funny in an age when pratcically anything goes we still have hang ups about using particular names for our children

I love the following names but can hear my father or mother cringing when we ring them up to announce the baby’s birth and name

[name]Lilac[/name]
Harvest
Peach
[name]Anais[/name]
[name]Lilou[/name]
[name]Nerea[/name]
[name]Nika[/name]
[name]Neva[/name]
[name]Luna[/name] (only because I can see her getting Lunatic at school)

And there are lots of international names that I would avoid because of pronounciation issues, and others that are just too popular to consider

[name]Winter[/name]
[name]Brenna[/name]
[name]Bronwyn[/name]
[name]Willow[/name]
[name]Gabriella[/name] ([name]Gabby[/name]–ick)
Ottile
[name]Pandora[/name]
[name]Tabitha[/name]
[name]Araminta[/name]

Chrysanthe (pronounced with the Greek E at the end) - this name could work as a lovely, non-religious tribute to my mother, but I just don’t know. ): It also means “golden flower”- how awesome is that?

Boudica - “Bodacious” teasing.

[name]Beatrix[/name] - I would totally use this one, except I keep pronouncing it wrong, haha. :slight_smile: That’s my fault, though.

[name]Matilda[/name] - okay, so I’m probably going to use this anyway because I [name]LOVE[/name] it. But my family wouldn’t be thrilled, to say the least. [name]Even[/name] if it is a perfectly acceptable name, geez…

[name]Avalon[/name].
It’s been my favorite for, like, 15 years, but it’s my husband that doesn’t have the guts. It’s definitely going to be a middle name, though.

My daughter’s name is [name]Niamh[/name] :slight_smile: My other daughter’s middle name is [name]Pepa[/name], but I’m still afraid to use some unusual names that I love Like:

[name]Juniper[/name]
[name]Finbar[/name]
[name]Sonny[/name]
[name]Marigold[/name]
[name]Velvet[/name]

I love unique names, but my problem is my family hates everything I suggest. I know it’s MY choice, as momma, but I want people to love what I pick.

Some of my favorites that I’m scared to use are:

[name]Isla[/name] (Eye-lah)
[name]Inga[/name]
[name]Luna[/name]
[name]Lennon[/name], nn [name]Leni[/name]
[name]Elsa[/name]
[name]Elka[/name], [name]LOVE[/name] it
[name]Elektra[/name]
[name]Magnolia[/name] or [name]Magdalena[/name]…I love the nn [name]Magda[/name]
[name]Harlow[/name] is a fave, but since [name]Nicole[/name] [name]Ritchie[/name] named her daughter that, I’m scared to use it.
[name]Leta[/name] (rhythms with pita)

I’m leaning towards [name]Sofia[/name] or [name]Alivia[/name], nn [name]Liv[/name]. My 4 year old niece is rooting for [name]Luna[/name], because she knows it means moon in spanish.

[name]Jezebel[/name]!!! I love the sound of it. [name]Delilah[/name] is becoming popular, so maybe someday I can have a grandaughter named [name]Jezebel[/name]?

Somebody mentioned Pretoria. My grandmother actually wanted me to name my daughter this…she’s from South [name]Africa[/name] and her maiden name is Pretorius (descended from the founder of the city.) I had a boy, though. :slight_smile:

[name]Apolline[/name] is my daughter’s name! I love it and a few ppl have told us they love it too…

[name]Delphine[/name] is quite popular where am from and very sweet imo

The name on my list would be

[name]Melisande[/name]