Names you DON'T like?

In the Nameberry forums, name nerds and expectant parents share amongst themselves and one another the names they love. But in the back of everyone’s mind, there are a couple of names that just annoy the $#!+ out of them. So here’s a new question: What are your LEAST favorite names, and why?

DISCLAIMER: this is intended to be a civil discussion criticizing certain names. It is NOT intended to attack or victimize those who bear the names in question or bestow said names upon their children.

Example:
I don’t like the name [name_f]Paige[/name_f] because it is very unfeminine and boring. The one syllable, with a hard “j”-sound ending, sounds clumsy and doesn’t have much of a personality.

Your turn! Comment your name grievances below!

I dislike the names [name_f]Cadence[/name_f] and [name_f]Camille[/name_f] - though I have no good reason for it at all. They just really really don’t appeal to me. I also don’t like [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], I’m not keen on the sound and I know so many.

For me, there are two things that make me truly dislike a name: people I haven’t had good experiences with who run the name for me (like [name_f]Maeve[/name_f], [name_f]Francesca[/name_f], [name_m]Daniel[/name_m], and [name_m]Sean[/name_m]), and sounds or sound combos that I find displeasing (like -th names for girls, [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f], [name_u]Meredith[/name_u], etc. and -son names for boys, [name_m]Jackson[/name_m], [name_u]Mason[/name_u], [name_m]Bryson[/name_m], etc.).

I dislike [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], [name_f]Clementine[/name_f], [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], [name_f]Adelina[/name_f], [name_f]Abigail[/name_f], [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f], [name_f]Belle[/name_f], [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], [name_f]Sarah[/name_f], [name_f]Juliet[/name_f], [name_f]Natalie[/name_f], [name_u]June[/name_u]/[name_f]Juno[/name_f], [name_f]Perdita[/name_f], [name_m]Lucius[/name_m], [name_m]Gage[/name_m], [name_u]Parker[/name_u], [name_m]Reuben[/name_m], [name_m]Caspar[/name_m], [name_m]Vincent[/name_m] and a bunch of other names for various reasons. [name_f]Judy[/name_f], [name_u]Alex[/name_u], [name_u]Connie[/name_u], [name_m]Ludwig[/name_m], [name_f]Milena[/name_f], [name_f]Christina[/name_f]/[name_f]Christine[/name_f]/[name_u]Chris[/name_u]/[name_f]Chrissie[/name_f], [name_f]Bianca[/name_f] and some other names have been ruined for me.

[name_f]Aisha[/name_f], [name_m]Yazid[/name_m] & Muaviye… Those three I can’t tolerate at all.

I dislike very traditional names, I find them a bit boring and I like names that are a bit more interesting and unusual. So names like [name_f]Mary[/name_f], [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_f]Jane[/name_f], [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_m]Christopher[/name_m], [name_m]Daniel[/name_m], [name_u]Charlie[/name_u], [name_u]Kieran[/name_u] I wouldn’t use. And [name_f]Danielle[/name_f]/[name_f]Daniella[/name_f], [name_f]Kayleigh[/name_f], [name_f]Georgia[/name_f] and [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] along with some others have been born by people who I have not got along with.

This will probably sound really petty, but I LOATHE the name [name_f]Artemisia[/name_f]. I think it’s overly flowery and unnecessarily extravagant, especially when [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] is a lovely (if out there) name that is already the feminine form! Why add the extra syllables? I just don’t get it.

I hate the names [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] and I’m sick of all the [name_f]Amelia[/name_f]/[name_f]Emilia[/name_f]/ [name_f]Emily[/name_f]/ [name_f]Emma[/name_f] variations.
I also dislike overly flouncy embellished names.

These English town names seem so fusty and out-of-place on human beings: [name_u]Paxton[/name_u], [name_m]Halston[/name_m], [name_u]Leighton[/name_u], [name_u]Brighton[/name_u], [name_u]Ashton[/name_u]… etc. etc.

I dislike [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] - it’s just really unattractive to me and sounds like soya milk. I’m not a fan of [name_u]Hunter[/name_u] either, as it just sounds violent. [name_u]London[/name_u] is another name I’m not keen on - the sound or images it evokes just aren’t inspiring to me.

haha my favourite name is [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] :cool:

Hate [name_m]Lachlan[/name_m] … I don’t know why, probably because every [name_m]Lachlan[/name_m]/ Lachie I’ve ever met was a terror of a child.
[name_m]Jaxson[/name_m]/ [name_m]Jaxon[/name_m] along with [name_m]Braxton[/name_m] ([name_m]Braxton[/name_m] hicks?) are not my cup of tea either.

For girls just kind of sick of [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], [name_f]Ella[/name_f] and [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]/[name_f]Isabel[/name_f]

Names I don’t like:

Boys
[name_m]Adolf[/name_m]- Hitler and Eichmann
[name_m]Heinrich[/name_m]- Himmler
[name_m]Rudolph[/name_m]- The reindeer, and [name_m]Rudolph[/name_m] Hess
[name_m]Ethelbert[/name_m]- I know it was my paternal great-great-great-grandfather’s name, but still…
[name_m]Kurt[/name_m]- Too harsh-sounding
[name_m]Byron[/name_m]- My dad’s former friend, who is a…well, it’s another word for donkey.
[name_m]Herbert[/name_m]- Too stuffy
[name_m]Hubert[/name_m]- [name_m]Just[/name_m]…no
[name_m]Mortimer[/name_m]- “[name_m]Mort[/name_m]” means “death”, so that’s a big turn off for me.
[name_m]Donald[/name_m]- Obvious

Girls
[name_f]Agnes[/name_f]- The meaning may be nice, but it sounds too harsh.
[name_f]Bertha[/name_f]- No.
[name_f]Clotilde[/name_f]- I just don’t like how it looks
[name_f]Delores[/name_f]- Means “sorrow”. That’s another turn off.
[name_f]Ethel[/name_f]- Sounds like a poisonous gas to me.
[name_u]Quinn[/name_u]- Glee. Plus, it’s boring.
[name_f]Paige[/name_f]- Boring
[name_u]Piper[/name_u]- The Pied [name_u]Piper[/name_u]
[name_f]Lacy[/name_f]/[name_f]Lacey[/name_f]- Mean girl I went to school with.
[name_f]Maria[/name_f]- Boring
[name_f]Ursula[/name_f]- I just don’t like how it sounds.
[name_f]Drusilla[/name_f]- The evil stepsister from the animated Disney [name_f]Cinderella[/name_f] movie.
[name_f]Gertrude[/name_f]- Too stuffy for me.
[name_f]Sandra[/name_f]- My paternal great-aunt’s name. She’s one of the most selfish people I have ever known.
[name_f]Phyllis[/name_f]- Not my cup of tea.
[name_f]Neveah[/name_f]- Sorry, but it’s not that great of a name.

I hate [name_f]Rachel[/name_f] because of a horrible girl, I now no longer go to school because of her. I’m only 15.

Other names;
[name_u]James[/name_u] - I think its overused and overrated. As a mn I think it’s even more overused.
[name_m]Nigel[/name_m], [name_f]Ethel[/name_f], [name_f]Gladis[/name_f], most outdated names - I just don’t like.

• [name_u]Lynn[/name_u] names like [name_f]Kaelynn[/name_f], [name_f]Jaelynn[/name_f] and the rest of them. I dont mind [name_f]Caitlin[/name_f] and [name_u]Brooklyn[/name_u] because they seem less made up.
    [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] - I don’t know why.

I’ve probably forgotten some.

[name_m]Damian[/name_m] is an okay name to me, but the character from The Omen kind of turned me off of using it for any future sons.

[name_f]Camilla[/name_f] - All [name_f]Camilla[/name_f] I know are unpleasant, also sounds too flouncy and overtly feminine
[name_m]Jackson[/name_m] - I love last-name names but for some reason, just not on board with [name_m]Jackson[/name_m]… I guess it reminds me of [name_u]Michael[/name_u] [name_m]Jackson[/name_m] a bit too much

➙ [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] ➙ this name seems too clunky to me.
➙ [name_f]Gracelyn[/name_f] ➙ [name_f]Grace[/name_f] sounds so much better than [name_f]Gracelyn[/name_f], why ruin such a pretty name?

I agree with you on both but especially [name_f]Gracelyn[/name_f]! To be fair I dont like any -[name_u]Lyn[/name_u] or -[name_u]Lynn[/name_u] names but [name_f]Grace[/name_f] is so beautiful! Why ruin it with [name_u]Lyn[/name_u]!

[name_f]Maeve[/name_f], [name_f]Astrid[/name_f], [name_u]Sloane[/name_u], [name_f]Violet[/name_f], and [name_f]Neveah[/name_f].

I haven’t been able to get on board with the vintage boys names- [name_m]Hugo[/name_m], [name_u]August[/name_u], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], [name_m]Walter[/name_m] etc. The vintage girls names have been growing on me, I’m not sure why I’m just not a fan of the boy versions.

I completely agree about the “th” names. I’m not particularly fond of the name [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] for that reason. I’m not a particular fan of surnames as first names in general, and “-son” names are no exception, but I think they’re worse for girls than for boys.