Names you get called by mistake?

I go by a nickname of my middle name and it starts with “J.”

One time in high school, I went through my usual process of correcting the teacher during roll call, but he misheard me. So, I was [name_m]Justin[/name_m] for about a week before I finally corrected him again.

Another teacher thought I said [name_u]Chelsea[/name_u], but I corrected him immediately that time.

2 Likes

I get called [name_u]Chelsea[/name_u] a lot which sounds nothing like [name_f]Celeste[/name_f] but whatever. In elementary school, the lunch lady got me confused for a girl named [name_u]Chelsea[/name_u] so while I only ate school lunch once a week and the real [name_u]Chelsea[/name_u] ate school lunch everyday, the payments were reversed and my family payed five times as much. I get it from people I’ve know since I was little and substitutes I saw frequently in high school as well.

1 Like

One of coworkers called my [name_f]Lizzy[/name_f] and I never corrected her.

2 Likes

…guilty.

my name is not a nickname-y name, but there’s a book character whose nickname is my name.
I’m often asked: ‘Are you SURE your name is ____?’
Me: um. pretty sure.

2 Likes

I’m [name_f]Michelle[/name_f], & people my entire life have called me [name_f]Melissa[/name_f]. No idea why.

2 Likes

People consistently try to pronounce my name gay-bree-ill instead of gab-ree-elle. 'Tis annoying.

1 Like

I’m a [name_m]Jack[/name_m], and the most common one I get is [name_m]Jake[/name_m]. I think I’ve gotten [name_m]Zack[/name_m] once or twice.

1 Like

Krissy, [name_f]Kristina[/name_f], [name_f]Christine[/name_f], [name_f]Kristen[/name_f], [name_f]Katie[/name_f], [name_f]Chrystie[/name_f], just [name_u]Kris[/name_u] – one time, I told a visitor my name at work and they asked if there was another [name_u]Chris[/name_u] that worked there and if that was the reason I had to go by [name_u]Chris[/name_u] D. It’s [name_f]Kristi[/name_f] :sob:

7 Likes

Can I put my full name here? I feel like it’s a mistake every time someone calls me [name_f]Abigael[/name_f] :grin:

2 Likes

Courtney instead of [name_u]Chelsea[/name_u]. Like all the time!

3 Likes

When I was younger, from peers: [name_f]Savannah[/name_f]. Still, regularly, from older folk: [name_f]Susan[/name_f]

4 Likes

My name is [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f], nicknames are [name_f]Jenn[/name_f] or [name_f]Jenni[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] dad would frequently call me my mom’s name, [name_f]Judy[/name_f].

I had one math teacher in high school who called me [name_f]Rachel[/name_f] several times, and he also used to call everyone by their last names (Mr. [name_m]Jones[/name_m], Miss Rivera, etc.). But for some reason he always called me Miss [name_m]Johnson[/name_m] even though my last name was [name_m]Brown[/name_m]! Lol

1 Like

My son is called [name_u]Beck[/name_u]. People usually can’t compute that as a name straight away so they try, “[name_m]Ben[/name_m]?” A teacher also tried “Beak?” the first time they took the register :rofl: He has a good sense of humour about it!

I am often asked if my name is short for [name_f]Michelle[/name_f] - it isn’t :slight_smile: Oh and I am often called [name_f]Shirley[/name_f]. (It’s [name_u]Shelley[/name_u].)

5 Likes

My name is Emona and in Bulgaria I mostly got called [name_f]Simona[/name_f] and [name_f]Elena[/name_f], in [name_u]Germany[/name_u] however I get called Imona a lot.

2 Likes

I had a boss that constantly called me [name_f]Karen[/name_f], despite multiple corrections. :woman_facepalming::woman_shrugging: I also get [name_f]Clara[/name_f] and [name_f]Tara[/name_f] a lot over the phone.

My hubby is [name_m]Adrian[/name_m], and he gets [name_u]Aidan[/name_u], [name_m]Andrew[/name_m], and [name_u]Hayden[/name_u]. The absolute best one was someone, over the phone, who thought it was [name_m]Abraham[/name_m]! :joy:

2 Likes

My dead name was impossible. Nobody ever called me the right thing. [name_u]Skyler[/name_u] got spelled as [name_u]Skylar[/name_u] (understandably) for a long time, but then I started introducing myself ad “[name_u]Skyler[/name_u] with an E”.

4 Likes

Ah gosh… I’m [name_f]Karoliina[/name_f] who has been

Carol
[name_f]Carolina[/name_f]
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]
[name_f]Karolina[/name_f]
[name_f]Katrina[/name_f]
[name_f]Katherine[/name_f]
[name_f]Katariina[/name_f]
[name_f]Carolyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Kathryn[/name_f]

4 Likes

There’s this joke about a class getting a substitute teacher, and when they ask the first kid for his name and he says “Achim”, the teacher goes “Well that’s what your friends call you, but properly it’s [name_m]Joachim[/name_m]”, then the second kid says she’s called [name_f]Hanne[/name_f] and the teacher goes “You get called [name_f]Hanne[/name_f] but your parents named you [name_f]Johanna[/name_f] for sure”. So the third kid gets up and says: “I get called [name_m]Curt[/name_m], so I guess my proper name must be Yogurt.”

12 Likes

Rosa
[name_f]Susanne[/name_f] / [name_f]Suzanne[/name_f]
I also had one teacher when I was about 12-13 who kept calling me [name_f]Marianne[/name_f].

2 Likes

Haha, I’ve heard another version of this joke where a priest is asking two girls their names. When the first one says her name is [name_f]Jenny[/name_f], the priest corrects her and says that [name_f]Jenny[/name_f] is a nickname - her proper name is [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f]. He then turns to the other girl and asks her what her name is. She thinks for a while and then goes “[name_m]Lucifer[/name_m]!” :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8 Likes