Names you hate...ready, set, go!

Here, I’ll start:

[name]Wylie[/name]…too much like the coyote

[name]Lacy[/name]…too stripper-like

[name]Britney[/name]…obvious reasons

[name]Jaden[/name]…so derivative

Join the fun!

I hate the names [name]Macie[/name], [name]Keegan[/name] and [name]Nevaeh[/name].

Ridiculous virtue names like
[name]Charity[/name]
[name]Trinity[/name]
[name]Chastity[/name]
[name]Patience[/name]

[name]Nevaeh[/name]- ugh.

[name]Bryce[/name]/[name]Trace[/name]/[name]Trent[/name]/ etc.- sounds like a jerk to me

I totally agree with the pp about ridiculous virtue names.
Another trend I can’t get on board with are all the names like [name]Braden[/name], [name]Jaden[/name], [name]Kalen[/name]… there are so many and they all sound the same!
But the names I really don’t like are the ”ber-popular [name]Ava[/name], [name]Eva[/name], [name]Ivy[/name], [name]Eve[/name]… I can’t get on board with the trend. Am I the only one??? Am I missing something?? haha!

I can’t stand the name Naveah either!

Then, maybe it’s just me, but I can’t stand names that have the “f” sound in them… like [name]Tiffany[/name], [name]Stephanie[/name], [name]Alfie[/name], etc. [name]Sophia[/name] and [name]Serafina[/name] aren’t too terrible though.

I agree about virtue names also. I like some (like [name]Honor[/name] and maybe [name]Bliss[/name]) but the ones like [name]Destiny[/name], [name]Serenity[/name], and [name]Harmony[/name] drive me NUTS!

Ugh, I agree with all of the above. I can’t stand so many ‘tryndeigh’ names, but one that I keep hearing more and more of is [name]Kinsley[/name]/[name]Kinley[/name]/Kynlie/Kynleigh/[name]McKinley[/name] etc. I don’t know why I dislike it so much, but I do. And [name]Everette[/name], Elliotte and Bennette for girls. :?

[name]Stephanie[/name]
[name]Brittany[/name]
[name]Keisha[/name]
[name]Amber[/name]

All the virtue names minus [name]Grace[/name], [name]Hope[/name], and [name]Faith[/name]

[name]Jaden[/name]
[name]Jaxon[/name]
[name]Kaden[/name]

Ooh, I actually keep a list of names for which I harbor an irrational dislike. These are the names that always come up on the same lists as my favorites–in fact, I tried putting in my least favorite names into a common name finding tool and got the same ones as when I put in my favorites–but I really, really hate them…sigh…

Girls:
[name]Elise[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name]
[name]Aurora[/name]

Boys:
[name]Spencer[/name]
[name]Tristan[/name]
[name]Atticus[/name]
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Quentin[/name]

Also:
[name]Tabitha[/name] - always makes me think of cats
[name]Finn[/name] - always makes me think of fish (worst would be siblings named [name]Tabitha[/name] and [name]Finn[/name]; would she try to eat him?)
[name]Jasper[/name] - It is clear to me that most nameberry post-ers did not watch 101 Dalmatians as many times as I did

I hate mean spirited threads like this, and see nothing “fun” or nice about bashing names, have you not considered that you might hurt peoples feelings if they click on this and see their child’s name? This thread is perfect example of how NOT to behave.

Quinella, I understand your point. However, this is a site about names. And most people have some they like and some they dislike. Talking about names people dislike can be really helpful because you might notice patterns, rethink a name you had been considering, and get valuable input on how others perceive names. The honest truth is that someone hates just about every name. It isn’t a comment on a child! It is a comment on a name, a meaning, a sound. I hate the name [name]Madison[/name], but I dearly love a [name]Maddie[/name].

[name]Madison[/name]/[name]Addison[/name]/Etc.
Names that begin with K (minus [name]Katherine[/name] and [name]Keegan[/name], go figure)
[name]Ava[/name] (it isn’t that I hate the name, but I always see [name]Ave[/name] instead.)
Tryyndeigh names

Bashing names and bashing people are two different things. Sometimes people need to let out their grievances. I hate the name [name]Drake[/name], but does it mean that I hate my nephew named [name]Drake[/name]? Certainly not. A lot of people hate my daughter’s name, [name]Grace[/name]. [name]Do[/name] I think that they hate me or my daughter? Not in the slightest. My best friend wants to name her daughter [name]Kaylynn[/name] and I hate it. I think it’s an awful name. But will this change the way I feel about my friend or how much I am going to love her child? Never. (I’m just hoping she’ll have a boy b/c their boy name, [name]Evan[/name], is much better.)

Also, this thread is called “Names you hate”. We are not going on to someone post and bashing the names they have picked out for their child. We usually say things nicer, like “it’s nms”.

This is not a mean-spirited thread because we are not talking about bearers of these names, just the names themselves. People who get offended because a complete stranger dislikes the name they love for their little pumpkin needs to get over it. Someone is going to hate all of the names you love. It’s a fact. It doesn’t mean that they hate you or your child. They just hate the name.

Finally, some of these tastes may change. When I was a little girl I used to hate the name [name]Beatrice[/name]. I mean, [name]Beatrice[/name]? No, thank you. It made me think of an old lady in a nursing home who smelled like one. But as I have gotten older, I have learned to see the merit in traditional and old-fashioned names. Now, I would love to name a daughter [name]Beatrice[/name] (even though DH wouldn’t).

My point is that although we may hate these names, we are not being hateful. No one has said “Oh man! Can you believe what so-and-so named her son? She’s so stupid!” Besides, it doesn’t matter what I think about your kid’s name. What really matters is how you feel about your child’s name, not what I feel about it. If you change you mind about a name we have listed here, maybe you didn’t love that name, after all.

My nephew’s name is Brodix. As in “[name]Brody[/name]” but with a silent x in there. I can’t stand the yewneek spelling of it, but I still love the kid!

Navaeh…with a passion. Haha

Obviously no one is bashing anyones personal names, that isnt the point, the point is that moms who actually are pregnant and looking for names, may see this thread and perhaps already have a neveah or one of the other names listed and it would be hurtful to them to see it written over and over. It may even cause them to have namers remorse. Im not sure why people need to get this sort of thing “off” their chest as if these names bother them so much…that is ridiculous. This thread is clearly mean spirited and obviously Im not the only one who thinks so, as over 325 have viewed it and only ten different people have replied with names they hate (some have replied multiple times :roll: ). I think nameberry should take the thread down, as its offensive to people, I hope others who agree with me will take a minute (even guests) and email admin to let them know your offended by these types of hate threads. This is the last I have to say on the matter.

I know it’s crazy, but I really dislike [name]Scarlett[/name]!! Not as much as I hate the name [name]Addison[/name] or any of the [name]Brayden[/name] sounding names though. [name]Just[/name] not my style

I am turned off by most names with the suffix bert. Not sure why… the sound is just so ugly to me! I hope I can get over it one day but for now … UGH!

I dislike most names that employ the use of accents or umlauts or apostrophes etc. when they are used by someone who does NOT regularly use accents etc in their native language. It’s lovely in theory but I find it a bit of a nuisance in practice.

I dislike a lot of double names or hyphenated names. No one wants to have to address your child by their 6+ syllable name. Plus I just think it looks odd on paper.

I hate given names that start with McBlahblah. (i.e. [name]McKayla[/name], [name]McKenzie[/name]) I would much prefer the names spelled [name]Michaela[/name] or [name]Mackenzie[/name].

[name]Melina[/name]…I get that it means honey in Greek which would be real sweet if only “[name]Melena[/name]” (same pronunciation) didn’t mean what it means in medical terms…Google it if you dare!
I don’t mean it in a mean spirited way, but I know nurses cringe when they’re faced with cute little girls with this name!

Quinella,

This is a site about opinions. Meaning good and bad. If this truly bothers you, perhaps stop reading it. This is not meant to be mean, just share opinions.

I don’t see why this would hurt their feelings. We’re not saying “All children named [name]Aidan[/name] are horrible, disgusting creatures.” We’re saying “we have an irrational dislike for this name.”

I don’t think of threads such as this mean-spirited. I think they are a great way to vent. People are here because they have strong, even passionate, opinions about names. And we all must know people we love whose names we hate. I’m not all that fond of my own name. When I give advice to individuals, I do try to set aside my own tastes, see where the poster is coming from and how I might be helpful. In a general way however, I love some names and hate others. Not that I don’t/wouldn’t love children bearing a disliked name. I also see a lot of movement in my likes and dislikes. A name can move from my love to hate list and vice versa. Other times I will get used to the idea of name I once thought too weird ([name]Clementine[/name]), or tire of a name I once thought rather wonderful ([name]Harper[/name]). I like names that have never taken off ([name]Diantha[/name]) or names that are wildly popular ([name]Emma[/name], [name]Sophie[/name]).

So all things considered, it is hard to assemble a list of disliked name. Maybe tomorrow I’ll recommend someone use a name from that list!

[name]Clunky[/name] Not Cool
Not all old-fashioned names are new again for me. [name]Dorothy[/name], for example. I thoroughly dislike [name]Enid[/name] and [name]Orrin[/name]. I like [name]Pearl[/name] but dislike [name]Ruby[/name], so go figure.

Bland
[name]Jayden[/name], [name]Brayden[/name], [name]Aiden[/name] plus other “serial” names, as I think of them.

Trying [name]Way[/name] Too Hard
Anything that someone tried to tart up by spelling it wrong.

[name]Hi[/name] – i There
I hated the trend of my youth to try to make a name “sexy” by changing the y to an i. [name]Kathi[/name]. [name]Brandi[/name], I can’t believe some people still do this. I always think – are you a 1950s cheerleader?