Names You Hate

[name]Verity[/name], [name]Cora[/name], and [name]Adelaide[/name]. Three big nameberries favorites, but I can’t stand them. I don’t get their appeal.

Agreed about [name]Audio[/name], Dweeble, Rockstar, etc. and I’d extend that to [name]Nevaeh[/name], [name]Heaven[/name], etc. and the [name]Zayden[/name]-type nouveau names that weren’t names (even surnames) until the past decade or so.

There are traditional names I strongly dislike for personal aesthetic reasons, but don’t consider them cruel or unusable* for others. I put them in a different category from the above.

• Okay, there might be exceptions: [name]Hortense[/name] and [name]Dorcas[/name], for example.

Girls:
[name]Sarah[/name]
[name]Leah[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name]
[name]Freya[/name]
[name]Gemma[/name]
[name]Lola[/name] (as a nickname…I could get behind it…but as a given name…blech)
[name]Mary[/name]
[name]Nevaeh[/name]
[name]Pippa[/name]

Im sure there are more girl ones but my brain is tired today.

Boys:
[name]Seth[/name]–by far my least favorite “common” name…ugh…I do not get the appeal…I hate the way my mouth feels when I say it…just ugh.
[name]Logan[/name]–sometimes [name]Logan[/name] over takes [name]Seth[/name] for least favorite…but not today. It is definitely the OG sound I find unappealing. I read the [name]Baby[/name]-Sitters Club book series as a teenager…this name was in there and I hated it then. lol
[name]Owen[/name]–again with that long O sound. It does NOTHING for me
[name]Phillip[/name]–I just find it so toity-toity and snotty sounding.
[name]Gray[/name]…and all it’s forms…getting lots of love on these forums…I. Cannot. Stand. It.
[name]Ezra[/name]–I just can’t get on board
[name]Silas[/name]…all I think/hear is silo.

I also hate names that have random apostrophes…I know a little girl named Annale’a (prn anna leah) (sister to [name]Abagale[/name]:mad: and [name]Addison[/name]).

1 Like

I HATE names with a Mc in front. It is like your child is on the menu at McDonalds! [name]McKenna[/name], McKenzzie, etc! YUCK!!!
Also hate anything with [name]Lyn[/name]/[name]Lynn[/name] or [name]Marie[/name]! [name]Shaylyn[/name], [name]Brooklyn[/name],etc! YUCK!
Hate [name]Kaylee[/name]/[name]Kylee[/name]/[name]Caylee[/name]/etc too.
Also trendy name: [name]Taylor[/name], [name]Vienna[/name], [name]Madison[/name], [name]Kenedee[/name], etc.
Most of all I hate: [name]Hope[/name], [name]Faith[/name], [name]Grace[/name]! I wanna puke. Maybe cuz I’m atheist but those names are awful. Especailly on twins! I know an [name]Ella[/name] [name]Faith[/name] and [name]Anah[/name] [name]Grace[/name] (or it could be [name]Ella[/name] [name]Grace[/name] and [name]Anah[/name] [name]Faith[/name])

Agreed about -iana and most virtues.

I can’t stand the -iana suffix when it seems unnecessary or tacked on, but like [name]Oriana[/name] (which includes it). People seem to think names like [name]Liliana[/name] are feminine and sweet, but I think they lack character. The extra syllable adds nothing to the name except an extra frill, and a generic one and not particularly attractive one at that. Some of them are contractions of another name and [name]Ana[/name]/[name]Anna[/name] (e.g. [name]Marianna[/name]) and I don’t like that either.

[name]Briana[/name] isn’t my favorite name, but it at least makes sense why the -iana is there: it’s [name]Brian[/name] with an -a. (I wonder if anyone’s tried to make an -iana name out of [name]Brian[/name] or [name]Bryony[/name] - Bryonyana and Brianiana. cringe) Same for names like [name]Adriana[/name] and [name]Luciana[/name] (I don’t like [name]Luciana[/name] at all, but it makes sense in theory). I’d prefer something like [name]Andrina[/name], [name]Andrea[/name], [name]Lucretia[/name] or even [name]Lucinda[/name]. And [name]Eliana[/name] is another example of a traditional name with this ending that I still find to lack character.

I strongly dislike [name]Liliana[/name]. [name]Lilian[/name] is already a good name for a girl.

Edited for privacy.

Some more I find grating for various reasons:

[name]Eden[/name] - The mythological garden the first humans were booted out of for seeking knowledge? Bleh. Some people might find it idyllic-sounding, but I think it sounds trashy and has vague anti-learning connotations. I like [name]Eve[/name] better.

[name]Ever[/name] - It’s not a name to me and doesn’t even have that great of a concept as a “word name.” It’s like using Before, When, Always or Sometimes as a name. I could respect (not like, but respect) it as a word name more as something like Evermore or [name]Forever[/name], not just [name]Ever[/name]. (None of this applies to [name]Everard[/name], which is a legit name that I like.)

• Place names strongly associated with large cities (the names themselves don’t annoy me, but I don’t like the concept of them as first names - an exception is [name]Savannah[/name]) and [name]Indian[/name] tribe names as given names, especially if misspelled - Lundun, [name]Brooklynne[/name], [name]Shyanne[/name]. Australian members, do you tend to put [name]Adelaide[/name] in this category or is it still “namier” than the others because it was a name before it was a city?

• [name]Verity[/name], [name]Lola[/name], [name]Caleb[/name]/[name]Kaleb[/name]

[name]Amen[/name] to the stiletto heels :slight_smile: I agree that some names just aren’t my style but I can see them working for others.

I also agree about some names being downright ugly to my ears. [name]Atticus[/name] doesn’t bother me personally, but names like [name]Floyd[/name] bleh to me that’s like naming your child Bloated Drip, gives me a horrible image. Same with [name]Tallulah[/name], which many people seem to love, it sounds like gibberish to me, like saying your name is Gagooga.

I really, really dislike the name [name]Astrid[/name]. I don’t like names that begin with “as”, and I think “tr” is a very unattractive sound. It also bothers me that it’s one typo away from “Astird”.

I don’t like names that end in a “lee” sound. Most names that do sound more like adverbs to me (like softly, calmly, uproariously, etc).

I’m bothered by trendy names, many of which have already been mentioned. But, in the end, even if I don’t like a name, a great story behind it always changes my mind. Except for something terrible, like Dorcus.

I’m Australian and as much it was a name before the city was dubbed [name]Adelaide[/name], I would never use it because of that. The city of churches rings too many bells for me. The same thing goes with [name]Darwin[/name] and [name]Alice[/name] (Springs) where I used to live, both are names for people but personally I would never use them. But each to his own.

I’m starting to feel really irritated by all the word names. They really just say ‘trying too hard to be different’, to me.

[name]Fable[/name], [name]Sable[/name], [name]Poet[/name], [name]Pilot[/name], [name]Story[/name], [name]Sonnet[/name], whatever. They’re pretty enough words (some of them), but I would hate to go through life introducing myself as ‘[name]Poet[/name]’.

I know what you mean by a great story! love reasons behind names!

I think names like [name]Dorcas[/name] exist so that my DH can come up with horrible name combinations. He has suggested [name]Dorcas[/name] with each kid. Along with [name]Mortimer[/name]. Yesterday it was Wilva [name]Flo[/name]… Combo of my grandmas’ names Wilva (she hated her name) and [name]Florence[/name] (does not go by [name]Flo[/name], but DH is stuck on it.)

So interesting to see such a diverse response from all the Berries. Some of the names that you all hate are names I love - like [name]Laura[/name], [name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Daniel[/name], [name]Patrick[/name], etc.

Anyway, names that I hate (actually loathe) are:
[name]Olive[/name] - the most hideous name ever. There is NOTHING attractive about this name.
[name]Winfred[/name]/[name]Winnie[/name] - almost as bad as [name]Olive[/name].
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Edith[/name]
[name]Agnes[/name]
[name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Mabel[/name]

[name]Oscar[/name]
[name]Hugo[/name]
[name]Arlo[/name]
[name]Sebastian[/name]
All the [name]Aiden[/name]/[name]Jaden[/name]/[name]Braden[/name] names

I also have a really strong dislike for girls’ names that start with “sh” - [name]Sherry[/name], [name]Sheila[/name], [name]Shawna[/name], [name]Shayla[/name], [name]Shania[/name], [name]Shelby[/name]. There’s just something icky and trashy about them.

Girls - [name]Rose[/name], [name]Blythe[/name], [name]Erin[/name], [name]Annika[/name], [name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Jade[/name], [name]Edith[/name], [name]Audrey[/name], [name]Maude[/name], [name]Lynn[/name], [name]Leigh[/name], [name]Katia[/name], [name]Judith[/name], [name]Linnea[/name], [name]Chantal[/name], [name]Danica[/name], [name]Ruth[/name], [name]Luella[/name]

Boys - [name]Manfred[/name], [name]Morris[/name], [name]Wallace[/name], [name]Russell[/name], [name]Dean[/name], [name]Tyler[/name], [name]Brett[/name], [name]Brent[/name], [name]Brody[/name], [name]Steven[/name], [name]Ted[/name], [name]James[/name], [name]Leroy[/name], [name]George[/name]

There’s more, but those were the ones that came to mind.

Can’t stand the name [name]Megan[/name]. I know some perfectly nice Megans, but for some reason, it just rubs me the wrong way.

I’m annoyed with the whole trend of giving kids a fake name or a name from some random language that has nothing to do with the family. I agree that everyone is just trying to be too different. Pick a nice name most people in your country o residence can understand, and let your kid’s personality take them the rest of the way.

mother to [name]Walter[/name] [name]John[/name]

I HATE [name]Ryder[/name] and [name]Ryker[/name]. Those names are just awful to me.

Victoriana88,

Holy crap! What names [name]DO[/name] you like?

I dislike:

*Many girl names that contain both P and O.
*Many Lil- names, a few other L names, and Ella/Emma/Mia feel plain, weak and/or unsubstantial to me
*Many girl names that contain hard “ch” sound
*Names with creative spellings
*Most word names
*[name]Seraphina[/name] (technically pretty, but too ultra-princessy and sugary for my taste)
*[name]Deidre[/name]
*[name]Courtney[/name]
*[name]Gertrude[/name]
*[name]Myrtle[/name]
*[name]Mabel[/name]
*[name]Sloane[/name]
*[name]Blythe[/name]
*[name]Blair[/name]
*[name]Greer[/name]
*[name]Harper[/name]
*[name]Piper[/name]

*[name]Hugo[/name]
*[name]Floyd[/name]
*[name]Elmer[/name]
*[name]Gomer[/name]
*[name]Byron[/name]
*[name]Cooper[/name]
*[name]Archibald[/name]

Late to the party but I agree with you completely about most -iana names just being mostly unnecessary. What’s wrong with [name]Georgina[/name] or [name]Christina[/name]? Why does it have to be [name]Georgiana[/name] or [name]Christiana[/name]?

My main dislike is br- names. [name]Bree[/name], [name]Briana[/name] - I think I have an aversion to the br sound. -iana names come in a close second.

Hate the names [name]Kara[/name], [name]Kylie[/name], [name]Cayley[/name] and [name]Kendra[/name]. They all sound like mean cheerleaders. For boys, [name]Braylen[/name] and [name]Brayden[/name]! I don’t like the way they sound and I don’t think they will age well.