[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f]

Theodore
[name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m]
[name_m]Nicholas[/name_m]
[name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m]

1 Like

A: I’ve loved [name_f]Varsha[/name_f] FOREVER and since I’m not having kids soon I’m actually using the name for a side character of mine.
Here are some I can’t used based of family names:
[name_f]Emily[/name_f]/ [name_m]Emiliano[/name_m]/ [name_f]Emilia[/name_f]/ any other variation
[name_u]George[/name_u]
Most J related names
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]

2 Likes

I can’t use any [name_f]Jen[/name_f]- names for girls because I have female family with [name_f]Jen[/name_f]- names.

I cannot use:

[name_f]Mia[/name_f]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Mila[/name_f]
[name_f]Sofia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ariadne[/name_f] (friends favorite name)
[name_f]Addalyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Madeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Elodie[/name_f] (I knew someone who pronounced it Eh-LOW-[name_f]Dee[/name_f], I prefer ELL-Uh-[name_f]Dee[/name_f])
[name_f]Millie[/name_f]
[name_f]Viola[/name_f] (bad association)
[name_u]Elias[/name_u]
[name_u]James[/name_u]
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m]

1 Like

Lets see…

Girls-

Aine-It’s just too awkward w/a midwest American accent. Only sounds right when an Irish person says it.

Adeline-[name_m]Way[/name_m] way too popular. Mainly I think [name_f]Adelyn[/name_f] is the popular one, but it’s too close for comfort.

Josephine-I don’t care much for any of the potentially unavoidable nns.

Lilia-[name_f]My[/name_f] mom named her cat this. :heart_eyes_cat:

Boys-

Colm-Same issue here as [name_f]Aine[/name_f], sadly.

Charlie-Dh’s uncle is called [name_u]Charlie[/name_u], & he’s not really the kind of uncle that you want to name a child after. :woman_shrugging:t2:

Patrick-Same as above.

Seamus-We have a nephew called this. We have tons of little Gaelic named nephews who all have great names, but this one is maybe the one that I’d like to use most if it weren’t taken.

I love [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] but it’s way too popular here for me to use. So I’m not unable to use it as such but as someone who cares about popularity I don’t feel I can.

Juno is another - I just love it but my partner vetoed it. And he vetoed [name_m]Bastian[/name_m], a long time favourite :pensive:

omg this truly is the thread for me, ive had the name [name_m]Bowen[/name_m] picked out for a boy since forever, its my favourite boys name, I’ve loved it so freaking much, but it rhymes with [name_u]Rowan[/name_u], which is conveniently my partner’s name, so [name_m]Bowen[/name_m] is unusable to me now!

[name_f]Elsie[/name_f] - Bad association with someone I knew
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f] - [name_f]My[/name_f] great aunt’s name
[name_f]May[/name_f] - [name_f]My[/name_f] cousin used this for her daughter’s middle
[name_u]Wren[/name_u] - [name_f]My[/name_f] sister is [name_f]Lauren[/name_f] (might be used as a middle)
[name_u]Lenny[/name_u] - Would use as a nickname, but is also my great uncle’s nickname
[name_u]Michael[/name_u] - [name_f]My[/name_f] uncle’s name
[name_m]Duncan[/name_m] - [name_f]My[/name_f] great uncle’s name

Can’t use due to family/friend associations:
[name_f]Audrey[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Adeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Katherine[/name_f]/Kate
[name_u]Robin[/name_u]
[name_f]Ellen[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Sophie[/name_f]
[name_f]Cara[/name_f]
[name_f]Diana[/name_f]
[name_m]Eric[/name_m]

Can’t use due to DH veto:
[name_f]Saskia[/name_f]
[name_f]Imogen[/name_f]
[name_f]Freya[/name_f]
[name_f]Maeve[/name_f]
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f]
[name_f]Ramona[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_u]Miles[/name_u]
[name_u]Callum[/name_u]
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m]

Basil / Basilton — I actually don’t think my parents would ever forgive me

Violet, [name_f]Clara[/name_f], and [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]. I think these names are just stunning, but unfortunately, two of them are completely unusable. [name_f]Violet[/name_f] has been claimed by my older sister, but we shall see… maybe I’ll pull a [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] [name_m]Bennet[/name_m]? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Just kidding, I’ll stick with [name_f]Emily[/name_f], [name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], and the rest of my lot.

1 Like

I don’t even remember what I posted last time I posted on this thread so I’ll start anew.
[name_m]Wesley[/name_m], [name_u]Taylor[/name_u], and [name_u]Ryan[/name_u]: I have (all born and chosen male) cousins named [name_m]Wesley[/name_m], [name_u]Taylor[/name_u], and [name_u]Ryan[/name_u]. You’ll notice I have [name_m]Wesley[/name_m] [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] as part of a sibset in my UC, but I can’t for-real use it. Especially because I’m closest with [name_m]Wesley[/name_m].
[name_u]Seth[/name_u] and [name_u]Levi[/name_u]: I’m not going to mention why lol.
I’ll never, ever use the nickname “JP” because of a terrible kid I knew of that name. And I like JP as a boyish nickname!

I feel you on Clover. It’s so beautiful and fresh, but I hate that people call it a “cow name.” It’s weird to me that because people give animals human names, suddenly it becomes “unusable” for a person. Just my two bits lol

1 Like

Ignatius is a long time love of mine. [name_m]Saint[/name_m] [name_m]Ignatius[/name_m] of [name_f]Loyola[/name_f] would be his namesake, but I can’t stand the nn [name_m]Iggy[/name_m].

Are you Icelandic, @Rosebeth?
Your sons have the most beautiful names I’ve ever seen on this site. :slight_smile:

Thank you so much! I’m half Icelandic :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Oh!! Me too!! I live in [name_u]New[/name_u] Zealand, but I’ve never met another Icelandic on here! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m always unsure about super popular names - for example, I’m nuts for [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], but it’s sooo popular :confounded: I wouldn’t want my possible future daughter to be one of five Olivias in her class or something…

Skyllan, [name_f]Adeline[/name_f]/Adelina, [name_u]Everett[/name_u], [name_u]Rae[/name_u]