Names you love but can't use!

What are some names you love and would use in a heart beat but for some reason you can’t use?
For me, I love:
[name]Emmett[/name]-supposedly my husband has a step brother named emmett, I have never met him and never will, my husband sees his dad maybe twice a year
[name]Hudson[/name]-the ending doesn’t work well with our last name
[name]Parker[/name]-my cousin just named her little girl this and no matter how much I try I can’t bring myself to name my little boy this

Now your turn

[name]Rosalind[/name] - My husband vetoed this name immediately. I love everything about it (its elegance, its [name]Shakespeare[/name] connection) but my husband says it’s too much of an “old lady” name.
[name]Penelope[/name] - Our last name starts with a “P” and I just can’t bring myself to have the “PP” alliteration.
[name]Peter[/name] - Same issue as [name]Penelope[/name].
[name]Bridget[/name] - I tend to have petite kids (they take after me) and, unfortunately, [name]Bridget[/name] rhymes with midget. I was called midget as a child and my name doesn’t even rhyme with it.

My biggest name love that I can no longer use is [name]Lucy[/name]. DH actually likes it, too, but my sister named her dog [name]Lucy[/name] a few years ago. She no longer has the dog, and we would still use it if she hadn’t named her son [name]Lucas[/name] last year. I still have a hard time letting it go.

[name]Cacia[/name] and [name]Kiara[/name]. My brother’s family consists of all C or K names-so I don’t want to use the sound for my children.

[name]Hallie[/name]/[name]Halle[/name]. I adore this name, but it was the name of a friend who we had a major falling out with, and as we’re still close with her ex, we feel it’s not appropriate to use the name. Also, I adore [name]James[/name] and my husband refuses to consider it.

[name]Hugh[/name]- time old problem, I have a brother with that name. this wouldn’t be such a problem if i didn’t have two brothers.
and i can’t honour one and not honour the other, unfortunantly my other brother’s name is [name]Ciar[/name]án, and the FN [name]Hugh[/name] [name]Ciar[/name]án just doesn’t flow.

I love the name [name]Helena[/name] but my best friend just had a baby girl named [name]Eleanor[/name] a few weeks ago. Apparently [name]Eleanor[/name] is a derivative of [name]Helen[/name], and they both have the same meaning! Off the list for now.

[name]Agatha[/name]

[name]Love[/name] it but hate the nickname [name]Aggie[/name], which I’m sure people would use whether I liked it or not. Also, my husband vetoed it.

[name]Love[/name] [name]Chase[/name] for a boy, but [name]SIL[/name]'s sister used it…darn!!!

[name]Jasper[/name] rhymes with our last name in a terrible way. :frowning:

[name]Asher[/name]-It got popular and then distant cousin used it

[name]Lailah[/name]/[name]LAyla[/name]/[name]Lilah[/name] husband hates it

[name]Ariel[/name]/[name]Ariella[/name] husband thinks it sounds like Areola=dumb i know

[name]Keiran[/name] or any n sound name because of surname

All J names are off limits for us. sad sigh Our last name begins with J, and we have to avoid alliteration. My husband doesn’t even like J sounds in the middle, like in [name]Marjorie[/name]! So I have a growing list of un-usable “J-loves”…

[name]Jason[/name]
Jaima
[name]Jemima[/name]
[name]Jeremiah[/name]
[name]Marjorie[/name]/[name]Margery[/name]
[name]Imogene[/name]
[name]Jarvis[/name]
[name]Julianna[/name]
[name]Josiah[/name]
[name]James[/name]/[name]Jamie[/name]…

Girl names I love but can’t use (husband doesn’t like, or we know someone with the name, or it sounds bad with last name):
[name]Adelaide[/name]
[name]Anna[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Catherine[/name]
[name]Lucia[/name]
[name]Miranda[/name]
[name]Sophia[/name]/[name]Sophie[/name]
[name]Sonia[/name]
[name]Theodora[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Emma[/name]/[name]Emmeline[/name]
And the list goes on…

We agree almost entirely on boys’ names, so I can’t think of any boy names I can’t use. :smiley:

I wish I could use [name]Audrey[/name], after my grandma who passed away in [name]August[/name], but it looks like we won’t be having any girls! Which is fine, I love my boys, but not being able to use her name made me sad. I figured out a way to do it as a middle name for a boy though ([name]Auden[/name]) and now I feel a lot better about it.

Fun!!
[name]Barrett[/name]- I love it for the literary reference ([name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Barrett[/name] Browning) I’m a lit major, but dh’s ex girlfriend’s maiden name is [name]Barrett[/name] :frowning:
[name]Cadence[/name]- friend named her dd [name]Caden[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]- hubby says it sounds like an old lady
[name]Hampton[/name]- family name, hubby hates it!

I love [name]Nathan[/name], but in my area it’s considered a very Jewish name.

Most of my disappointments are in the boys’ department:

[name]Adrian[/name] – hubby vetoed it, he thinks it sounds too bookish
[name]Aubrey[/name] – not really a boy name anymore :frowning:
[name]Horatio[/name] – it’s a great name!! But I would always want to finish with, “I am dead!”
[name]Valiant[/name] – our last name begins with “T” so when you put them together, it sort of sounds like “Valium.” Yikes.

I love the name [name]Lucy[/name], but my sisters nutty mother in law is named [name]Lucy[/name] and I dont want her to think I named my [name]Future[/name] Daughter after her

[name]Archibald[/name] nn “[name]Archie[/name]” for me.

We named our French Bulldog [name]Archibald[/name] last spring, and now I wish we still had it to consider as a baby name!!

Uck, so many girls names sound too too frilly with our last name- 3 syllables ending in “-la”. It’s was a little tough finding pretty girls names not ending with “la” or “a” but this site has been very helpful for me :slight_smile:

That’s strange. And apparently that’s a bad thing, strange as well.