Names you love but can't use

What are names you love but can’t use (due to someone else using the name or maybe it rhymes with another name or maybe your SO vetoed it)

Callahan- this is my absolute favorite boy nane but it rhymes with my husband’s name and also sounds similar to my dog’s name

Corbin - a friend used

Julian- a friend’s ex-boyfriend. I could probably still use it as I never knew the guy but it did make me take pause because I know she would say something

Loren - same thing as above only I did know the guy and we were friends so its more dicey. Luckily I don’t like the name [name_u]Loren[/name_u] but I do like [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] or Lorent so wondering if I can get away with that

Cole - friend used

Dalton - this would have been a cool honor mame for my grandpa [name_u]Dale[/name_u] but a friend used

Oliver - too common - know way too many

Kieran - i might be able to use an honor name but it sounds too close to my moms name

Carey - really love [name_u]Carey[/name_u] for a boy but not brave enough to suggest it as I think Im alone in my opinion on this

Hayden - I love this but it clashes with my surname

Hayes - same issue as above

Montgomery- I love this but I feel its way too long with our surname

Austin - would use as a middle namd but as a first its kind of a combo of my husband’s namd and brothers name

Remy - we know a [name_u]Remy[/name_u] so its kinda weird

There are probably several more for boys! I will have to think about it! Not to mention all the names my husband vetoed when we were naming upcoming [name_u]Elliott[/name_u] [name_u]Reese[/name_u]. But I hope maybe he will change his mind on a few names if we ever have a second boy.

1 Like

All names on my list. They don’t work where I live.

1 Like

Emerson. Bad association to begin with, but I was willing to overlook that. & then my brother’s best friend named his daughter [name_u]Emerson[/name_u]…

1 Like

Names my SO has vetoed that I REALLY love: [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f], [name_f]Ursa[/name_f] (although he approved [name_f]Ursula[/name_f]), [name_m]Orson[/name_m], and [name_f]Avielle[/name_f]

2 Likes

Too common/well-known for my taste:

• Benjamin
  • Dean
  • Jacob
  • Oliver
  • Theodore

Doesn’t feel right using since I’m not within the culture:

• Dimitri
  • Osiris

Clashes with my last name:

• Cassiel
  • Caspian

Because I know my family would hate it:

• Killian
  • Roswell
  • Zeppelin
2 Likes

Rory - too much r with my surname

Reuben- too much like my cousin’s name

1 Like

Graham, [name_m]Edmond[/name_m], [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u], [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m],[name_m]Theodore[/name_m]- all used by family that would probably be annoyed if we used them.

Henry, [name_m]Samuel[/name_m], [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u]- all beautiful names that are too safe with my daughters name and would feel mismatched.

Sawyer, [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m], [name_m]Simon[/name_m], [name_m]Silas[/name_m]- these aren’t completely out of the question, however my husbands family has a genetic lisp (very mild, but still) so we could be fine, or poor kid could have a name he can’t pronounce.

Girls
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f], [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] - popularity
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f], [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] - I consider them to be too similar to my own name
[name_f]Leonie[/name_f], [name_f]Leah[/name_f] - too similar to a family member’s name
[name_f]Paloma[/name_f] - ^

Boy
[name_u]Julian[/name_u] / [name_u]Jules[/name_u] - I have multiple family members name [name_f]Julia[/name_f]
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] - absolutely adored this name for years and said if I ever had a son he would have this name, but it’s so popular now
[name_u]Max[/name_u] - a family name that has already been used this generation by one of my cousins
[name_m]Leon[/name_m] - see [name_f]Leonie[/name_f]/Leah
[name_u]Elias[/name_u] - there are so many different pronunciations. Where I live uh-LIE-us would probably be the go-to but I would be tempted to do eh-LEE-us.

Miles- local accent can not pronounce correctly
[name_u]Owen[/name_u]- friend used
[name_u]Drew[/name_u]- husband vetoed
[name_u]Dean[/name_u]- too close to other son’s name

Atticus - The hard C doesn’t work with my surname
[name_u]Bodhi[/name_u] - A family member used it! Was my favourite name.
[name_m]Casper[/name_m] - The hard C again. LOVE this name.
[name_m]Rufus[/name_m] - Too contrasting with our sons name.
[name_m]Sylvester[/name_m] - I love this but I just think it’s too vintage for me realistically
[name_u]Willoughby[/name_u] - Guilty pleasure name but I wouldn’t want the nn [name_m]Will[/name_m]

Rex, Caspar, August, Otis, Lucien, Rory, Miro, Bastian and Remy. I really love these but can’t use them either because of family members with similar names or because my partner vetoed them. Another is Atticus, but my inability to use it is self-imposed - I’m a little unsure about using the name of a character whose reputation is so complicated and so tainted by the author’s posthumous book, in which he’s transformed into a racist. But I just love To Kill A Mockingbird so much and the name itself, irrespective of the novel/character!

[name_f]My[/name_f] partner pretty much has veetoed every name I like lol with regards to boys.
[name_f]My[/name_f] top 2.
[name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] and [name_u]Gabriel[/name_u]
He doesn’t like either of them.
Names he suggested and we both like are
[name_u]Elias[/name_u]
[name_u]Jude[/name_u]

Names I like ( in my top 5) and suggested are [name_m]Finnian[/name_m].
So it’s looking like if we ever had a third boy, he may be [name_m]Finnian[/name_m] [name_u]Jude[/name_u].
I still think it’s crapThis text will be blurred that I don’t get my choices though lol.

Other names worth a mention.
[name_u]Jasper[/name_u]. It’s one of my son’s friends so it has name association for me.

[name_m]Reuben[/name_m]. All I can think of is the pig from Minecraft story mode now.

[name_u]Oliver[/name_u], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], [name_u]Charlie[/name_u], [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] - too popular

[name_u]Aidan[/name_u], [name_u]Julian[/name_u], [name_u]Gabriel[/name_u], [name_u]Tristan[/name_u], [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] - taken by close friends or family (or much too similar)

[name_m]Lachlan[/name_m], [name_m]Leander[/name_m], [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m], [name_m]Rafael[/name_m] - clash with surname

[name_m]Jeremy[/name_m] - I feel like it should be pronounced Jeh-remy, but I’m a lazy speaker and say Jer-emy (rhyming with germ)

[name_m]Sebastien[/name_m], [name_m]Dominic[/name_m], [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m], [name_m]Edmond[/name_m], [name_u]Michael[/name_u], [name_m]Adrian[/name_m], [name_m]Andreas[/name_m] - vetoed by partner

I have sooo many ! But I will keep it short

[name_u]Walker[/name_u] - I adore this name. I grew up on this street , so I think it would be a sweet honour name for my family without being too obvious or related to one specific person . But a friend of mine has used it for her son , and I’m hesitant to use a name that neds in r as it might roll into our last name that starts with R.

[name_u]Benjamin[/name_u]- this name is my long time love , however I have a distant relative with this name , and it is also used on my husbands family. His family is large so it’s hard to find names that are not already taken

I’m single, so I have no idea what my married surname will be, but these names I can’t use because of association or it was used by close family and friends.

Gabriel- My cousin used it
Wesson- The gun association. Where I live, I know I would get asked, “Like the gun?”
Gage- Bad association
Benjamin- My cousin’s name
Rowan- My friend is naming her daughter this

Names of family that I could probably get away with, but still don’t feel right using:
Landon, Wyatt, Jackson, Seth Curtis, Tristan, Payton, Dallas

Walker- Okay. I’m probably overthinking this one, BUT I think it would be too weird if I used this name. I am physically handicapped and I use a walker to get around. It would look like I named my kid after my medical equipment. “Hey Walker, can you bring me my walker?” Yeah, I can’t do that to my kid.

1 Like

I know this is a boy’s name thread, but I had to include some of my girls names (just 2!) that I love but can’t use:

[name_f]Avalon[/name_f] (g) - LOVE it, but my sister used it for her youngest daughter’s middle name.

[name_u]Everest[/name_u] (b) - Too similar to my favorite girl’s name (both start with Eve); since I’m not willing to give up the girls name, [name_u]Everest[/name_u] is out.

[name_u]Jericho[/name_u] (b) - Perfect name for a character in my book, so I’d feel weird using it on a child. I’ve thought about changing the character’s name so I could use it in real life . . . but that’s his name. Nothing else fits him. Besides, my second favorite girl’s name is a biblical place name, and I hate themes. So it works out for the best, I think, to not use [name_u]Jericho[/name_u].

[name_m]Kian[/name_m] (b) - I’ve always loved this name, but I personally dislike alliterated names; since my married surname starts with a K, [name_m]Kian[/name_m] is a no-go.

[name_u]Mars[/name_u] (b) - I love it so much in theory, but the fact that it’s a homonym for the verb “to mar” (it means “impair the appearance of; disfigure,” so, like, “that scar mars his face”) really ruins it for me.

[name_f]Reverie[/name_f] (g) - [name_u]Love[/name_u], but it rhymes with my second favorite girl’s name, so it’s out since I don’t love it quite as much as the other name.

[name_u]Rohan[/name_u] (b) - I love LOTR, and my favorite cultural group are the people of [name_u]Rohan[/name_u]. I like the way this LOOKS as a name, but don’t live the pronunciation, sadly. The “han” part, at least in my voice, sounds too nasal for me.

Tolkien (b) - Another name honoring my nerdlove that, again, would be great in theory. But in real life, it sounds too much like “toking,” a slang term for smoking marijuana, and I just can’t get past that.

[name_u]Zealand[/name_u] (b) - The only possible honor name for my dad that I like (he passed away when I was 9), but I worry that with my 2nd favorite girls name already being a place name, this would make it seem like there’s a theme. But I so love the nicknames of [name_f]Zee[/name_f] and/or Zully!

This just made me lol so hard!

1 Like

Haha, I’m glad! I was hoping it would make people chuckle. I certainly did writing it. :joy: As sad as I am that the name would be weird for me to use, it is funny to think about saying that. lol!

Another name I just thought of that I can’t use is [name_u]James[/name_u]. It’s the name of my dad’s grandpa and he wasn’t the best person. I mean, he skipped his own grandsons’ wedding to go to Bingo…

I would use [name_m]Apollo[/name_m] in an instant, but its already in the family as a dog’s name.