Names you LOVE but can't use

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] Berries!

We all have names that we love, but can’t use, whether it’s because our partner doesn’t like it, someone close to us already used it on a child, it doesn’t flow well with the last name, or it’s too popular (or unique) for our taste. I’m curious to know what are these names for you? And why you can’t use them, if you’re confortable sharing the reason. Here are mine.

Girls:

[name_f]Adriana[/name_f] - my partner doesn’t like names ending in -a
[name_f]Arianne[/name_f] - someone close to us used it for her daughter
[name_f]Chloe[/name_f] - someone close to us used it for her daughter
[name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] - my partner doesn’t like names ending in -a
[name_u]Jade[/name_u] - my partner doesn’t like it

Boys:

[name_m]Felix[/name_m] - someone close to us used it for her son
[name_m]Hugo[/name_m] - bad fit with our last name
[name_u]Luca[/name_u] - my partner doesn’t like names ending in -a
[name_u]Milan[/name_u] - my partner doesn’t like it and bad fit with our last name
[name_u]Oliver[/name_u] - someone close to us used it for her son
[name_m]Raphael[/name_m] - my partner doesn’t like it

3 Likes

[name_f]Pretty[/name_f] much any name on my list, because I want my family to be able to pronounce my kids’ names but they don’t speak [name_f]English[/name_f] (nor any related language)

Other than those, I like [name_f]Narcissa[/name_f] and Aphrodisia but narcissistic and aphrodisiac

3 Likes

I have so many I could never list them all but here’s a few:
[name_u]Cadence[/name_u] or [name_u]Cade[/name_u] - have a nephew named [name_m]Caden[/name_m]

Any C or K name - the 3 kids on my SO’s side are [name_m]Caden[/name_m], [name_m]Keaghan[/name_m], and [name_u]Karson[/name_u] so we don’t want to use any more C or K names (at least for now) so our kids stand out a little

A lot of L names (specifically [name_u]Lux[/name_u], [name_u]Logan[/name_u], [name_u]Luca[/name_u], Lark) - SO’s last name starts with L and we don’t love how the alliteration sounds for most L names, we would use some of these as middles though

Names my SO doesn’t like - there’s so many I could never list them all but the ones that hurt the most are: [name_f]Aliza[/name_f], [name_m]Booker[/name_m], [name_m]Finlo[/name_m], [name_u]Tate[/name_u], [name_f]Winslet[/name_f], [name_m]Winsor[/name_m]

1 Like

I have a lot of these, but here are the ones that come to mind straight away:

Ísrún - my absolute favorite name for a girl, but my husband doesn’t like it (like most of the other Icelandic names on my list)

[name_m]Johannes[/name_m] - a family name and very meaningful to me, but also too painful for someone I love with all my heart. So sadly it’s not an option.

[name_m]Adonis[/name_m] - unusable because of… well, [name_m]Adonis[/name_m]. But I love this name.

[name_f]Viktoria[/name_f] - doesn’t go with my sons’ names at all.

[name_m]Daedalus[/name_m] - too much, even for me :sweat_smile:

[name_f]Medusa[/name_f] - same as [name_m]Daedalus[/name_m]

1 Like

[name_m]Tobias[/name_m] & [name_f]Odette[/name_f] are 2 names I love but my husband doesn’t like

1 Like

I get what you mean about the pronunciation! [name_f]My[/name_f] husband and I both come from [name_u]French[/name_u] speaking families. Because of that, we want to use names that are easy to pronounce in [name_u]French[/name_u]. I love Latin names (like Adrinana, [name_f]Alessia[/name_f], Luca) - and they happened to be easy to pronounce in [name_u]French[/name_u] too - but they just don’t fit with our last name.

So sad for the C, K, & L names. [name_f]Aliza[/name_f] is stunning by the way!

1 Like

You pointed out two other very valid reasons for not using a name: the flow with the sibling’s names and when a name is too much :laughing: - I have some of these too.

1 Like

Such a shame, they’re both classics, without being too popular.

1 Like

I end up using a lot of names I love on characters- [name_f]Tamar[/name_f], [name_u]Cadence[/name_u], [name_f]Cressida[/name_f], [name_f]Amelie[/name_f], Rapahel as examples- so I can’t use them!

Also [name_f]Adele[/name_f] or [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] as a first (too close to my brother’s name)

And [name_u]Rory[/name_u] because it sounds terrible with my surname!

[name_m]Felix[/name_m], [name_f]Saskia[/name_f], August/Augustine, [name_f]Ismay[/name_f] and [name_f]Delphi[/name_f] are all names used in our family (or very close to them).

And my husband doesn’t care for: [name_f]Clover[/name_f], [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f], [name_f]Vita[/name_f] (I’m working on him!), [name_f]Flora[/name_f] and [name_m]Florin[/name_m] (ditto!), [name_u]Lupin[/name_u], [name_u]Rafe[/name_u] and lots of other great names :cry:

1 Like

[name_m]Clark[/name_m]: clashes with our last name
[name_u]Darcy[/name_u] (for a girl): I adore, but my husband doesn’t care for it (hopefully I will wear him down :grin:)
Other names I like, but my husband doesn’t:
Girls - [name_u]Seeley[/name_u], [name_u]Spencer[/name_u], & Devin/Devon
Boys: [name_u]Baker[/name_u], [name_m]Conrad[/name_m], & [name_u]Dean[/name_u]

1 Like

I love [name_f]Winslet[/name_f]! So cute!

3 Likes

[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] - Hubby doesn’t like
[name_f]Sunday[/name_f] - Hubby likes but doesn’t think is usable (for now lol)
[name_u]Marley[/name_u] - So cute but can’t get passed the ‘Marley and Me’ of it all
[name_u]Eden[/name_u] - Hubby doesn’t like (he only likes like 3 names lol)
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f] - You guessed it, hubby vetoed lol
[name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] - Yep this one too lol

1 Like

I don’t have a partner, so I’m sure this list will expand when I do, but currently just [name_f]Marianne[/name_f] (:cry:). I have a great aunt M@ryann (I think this is how she spells it?) and [name_f]Marianne[/name_f] would definitely seem like an honour towards her and it definitely wouldn’t be. That just seems sooo awkward to explain to my family :grimacing: and it’s not like it’s the only name I love, so it’s not a huge deal, but still sad.

1 Like

May/Mae - hard to say with last name
Ada - sounds terrible with last name (sound like “ate a aitken”
Matthew - two cousins named this

1 Like

[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] :sob: too associated with the name of an ex, but my longest name love

1 Like

It’s great you could use some of the names on characters, but I get why you wouldn’t use them on a child after.

1 Like

[name_u]An[/name_u] awkward situation indeed! [name_f]Marianne[/name_f] is lovely, I get why you like it :heart:

Most nature and word names unfortunately. I love [name_u]Oakley[/name_u], [name_u]River[/name_u], [name_u]Holly[/name_u], [name_u]August[/name_u], [name_u]Hazel[/name_u], [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], [name_u]Fox[/name_u], [name_m]Grover[/name_m], Lily…

Last name is W00ds… all a no-go :rofl:

1 Like