Names You Love But Others Hate

I wanted to start a thread on baby names you love but others seem to dislike.

I love [name_f]Yasmin[/name_f] but when I mention it to my friends or family they all seem to dislike it.

3 Likes

Names that berries don’t like very much:
[name_f]Mia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]
[name_u]Tate[/name_u] (boy)
[name_f]Laura[/name_f]
[name_f]Carrie[/name_f]

Names people irl don’t like:
[name_u]Willow[/name_u]
[name_u]Kit[/name_u] (boy)
[name_u]June[/name_u]
[name_f]Joy[/name_f]
[name_u]Skye[/name_u]
[name_u]Marie[/name_u]

1 Like

I love [name_f]Mia[/name_f] & [name_u]Tate[/name_u]! I love [name_f]Lily[/name_f] as nn.

2 Likes

Yasmin is so pretty! So much better than Jasmine imo!

[name_f]My[/name_f] list could be VERY long but I’ll try to narrow it down :sweat_smile: These are names I usually don’t get good reactions toward irl or on Nameberry, but I still love them!
[name_m]Arcturus[/name_m]
[name_m]Crispin[/name_m]
[name_m]Enoch[/name_m]
[name_m]Hezekiah[/name_m]
[name_m]Huckleberry[/name_m] “[name_m]Huck[/name_m]”
[name_m]Judson[/name_m]
[name_m]Jupiter[/name_m]
Lysias
[name_u]Rye[/name_u]
[name_m]Warrick[/name_m]
Wrangler

Jemison “[name_u]Jemmy[/name_u]”
Arianelle “[name_f]Aria[/name_f]”
[name_f]Dinah[/name_f]
[name_f]Katniss[/name_f]
[name_f]Simonetta[/name_f]
Tenley

1 Like

I think [name_f]Yasmin[/name_f] is pretty! And LOVE [name_f]Mia[/name_f] & [name_f]Lily[/name_f] @may.rose! [name_f]Laura[/name_f], too, is so underrated.

Ella
[name_f]Emma[/name_f]
[name_f]Hannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Isabella[/name_f]
[name_f]Julia[/name_f]
[name_f]Sophia[/name_f]/Sophie

All of the above are pretty much disliked on NB because they are so popular irl, which I get.

Millicent
[name_f]Petra[/name_f]
[name_f]Vashti[/name_f]

Hadley (b)
[name_m]Roger[/name_m]
[name_m]Philip[/name_m]
[name_u]Gus[/name_u]
[name_m]Merrick[/name_m]

And the rest are either too old-fashioned or too out-there, I suppose.

1 Like

I feel like [name_m]Kerrigan[/name_m], [name_u]Glow[/name_u] and [name_m]Sholto[/name_m] divide people. I also kind of like [name_f]Nevaeh[/name_f]

2 Likes

For me it’s [name_m]Lorcan[/name_m], [name_m]Lysander[/name_m] and [name_f]Saskia[/name_f].

4 Likes

Lots of “hippie” nature/word names tbh. [name_f]Apple[/name_f], [name_f]Plum[/name_f], [name_f]Tulip[/name_f], [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u], [name_f]Topaz[/name_f], [name_f]Saffron[/name_f], [name_u]Lyric[/name_u], [name_u]Story[/name_u], [name_u]Fable[/name_u], [name_u]Snow[/name_u], [name_u]Storm[/name_u], [name_u]Cove[/name_u], [name_u]Ocean[/name_u], [name_u]River[/name_u], [name_u]Lake[/name_u], [name_u]Skye[/name_u] (probably the most mainstream of the bunch but I’ve heard comments that it sounds “like a teen mom name”, whatever that means). [name_f]My[/name_f] partner is up for most of these (though strictly in the middle spot), but my family and friends less so.

3 Likes

I like [name_f]Nevaeh[/name_f], but everyone on here seems to hate it. [name_f]My[/name_f] all time favourite is Addiena, but nobody ever seems to like it. I don’t really talk about names irl as I don’t have anyone to talk to, so not really sure what people think of my favourites.

1 Like

Another one here who loves [name_f]Nevaeh[/name_f]! In real life, when I mentioned [name_m]Aurelius[/name_m], I got some strange faces. Now I know that if I’m going to use it… I have to be very brave.

2 Likes

I really love [name_f]Nancy[/name_f], but a lot of people on here seem to dislike it. I think it has a slightly different image in the UK than in the US

2 Likes

[name_f]Ella[/name_f] and [name_f]Petra[/name_f] are sooooooo beautiful!! I just know way too many Ellas to use it.( :cry: )
I actuallyhave a really good friend named [name_f]Elle[/name_f] [name_m]Petr[/name_m]@ (symbol for privacy)

@anon68906791 I think [name_f]Albertine[/name_f] is kinda cute! I would prefer [name_f]Josefina[/name_f], maybe you like that ? (the j is pronounced as an h btw)

[name_u]Cove[/name_u], [name_u]Story[/name_u], [name_u]Fable[/name_u], [name_u]Lake[/name_u], Rover, [name_f]Tulip[/name_f], and [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] are gorgeous @ashley_rose!! And I don’t get what they mean by it sounds like a teen mom name. Teen moms don’t have a specific style (at least not that I know of). And nothing’s really bad about teen moms anyway.

[name_m]Aurelius[/name_m] is sooo handsome @mirais!

[name_f]Grace[/name_f], (@Greyblue) i absolutely love [name_m]Kerrigan[/name_m]!! I agree with you about [name_f]Neveah[/name_f].

[name_f]Nanette[/name_f]
[name_f]Minette[/name_f]
[name_f]Neveah[/name_f]
[name_f]Jeanine[/name_f]
[name_u]Willoughby[/name_u]

[name_u]Vivian[/name_u]
[name_m]Athanasius[/name_m]
[name_m]Varian[/name_m]
[name_u]Sparrow[/name_u]
[name_m]Chester[/name_m] (people seem to love it or hate it)

3 Likes

Aw, I love [name_f]Mia[/name_f] & [name_f]Lily[/name_f]. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I loooove [name_f]Yasmin[/name_f]! Although [name_f]Yasmine[/name_f] is my favourite spelling, just gorgeous! :heart_eyes:

[name_f]Merryn[/name_f] and [name_f]Mabli[/name_f] are girls’ names I love that don’t always get rave reviews on here, although I’ve noticed more and more people talking about them lately. I also love [name_f]Morven[/name_f], which a lot of people find “too harsh” and [name_u]Hero[/name_u], which seems to be a very Marmite name.

For boys, I love [name_m]Severin[/name_m] (also “too harsh”), [name_m]Maximilian[/name_m] (“too much”), [name_m]Florin[/name_m]/Florian (“too flowery”) and [name_u]Pippin[/name_u], which I also adore for girls but is often deemed “too cutesy” for either sex.

Lots of people on Nameberry like or appreciate these names, I’m sure, but these are comments I see a fair bit.

By the way, @nylamorgan, thank you for posing the question this way around, for once! I see a lot of “Names people love that you hate”-type threads, but I’m loving this opportunity to wax lyrical about unpopular names I like, for a change! :raised_hands:

3 Likes

This is fun.

I love for boys…

Artemis

Colm

Shiloh

And really like…

Aidan

Dylan

Dakota

Ira

I love for girls…

Gerty

And I really like…

Hayley

2 Likes

also piper for a boy. For some reason like nobody likes it.

2 Likes

I love [name_f]Yasmin[/name_f] when pronounced the same way as [name_f]Yasmeen[/name_f].

I really like [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] and [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], but I think they would be too popular for many on NB.

I like [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] too, which a lot of NB users seem to dislike. Similar to @Mary_Rose, I think this is a case of a name having a different image in the UK compared to the US. In the UK, poppies are very associated with Remembrance [name_u]Day[/name_u] (I think the US equivalent would be Veterans [name_u]Day[/name_u]). And British people don’t call their grandfathers or fathers “poppy”, so that’s just not an association here.

Basically any unisex name people tend to hate on.[name_m]Ive[/name_m] had less problems with boy names I like so that’s good.

Girl-
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u]
[name_u]Jasper[/name_u]
[name_u]Wilder[/name_u]
[name_u]Clarke[/name_u]
[name_u]Teddy[/name_u](full name [name_f]Thea[/name_f]. People don’t like it for some reason)
[name_u]Emerson[/name_u]

I think your names are beautiful!

1 Like

One name I love but others don’t seem to like in real life is [name_f]Bianca[/name_f]. I think it is so beautiful and love the meaning/imagery for a baby born in winter!

1 Like

Chrysanthemum
[name_f]Tisiphone[/name_f]
[name_m]Thelonious[/name_m]
Ozymandius
[name_u]Tempest[/name_u]
[name_f]Proserpina[/name_f]
…and friends.

Irl I haven’t found many people in favor of many traditional Irish names.

4 Likes